Extracting Video and Audio from DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 5th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Extracting Video and Audio from DVD

Hello All,

I recently had someone ask me to make a highlight video from their sons football games. The games were on three DVDs. I was able to get the video off with a program that a friend of mine had. I was unable to get the audio off. Does Vegas have a way of extracting (maybe not the right word) both the audio or video? If Vegas doesn't is there any software out there that will allow me to have the audio and video in a workable format in Vegas? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old April 5th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

it's possible that the audio is AC3 which Vegas will render to but not read. When I have a DVD to import I have found it easier to play in in with a small DVD player and just capture as you normaly would. Then you also have an much easier time editing. MPEG is a very difficult codec to edit in Vegas.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

The newer versions of Vegas will read AC3 when it's in an MPEG file. You didn't say what version of Vegas you're using.

The newer versions also have a File - Import - DVD Camcorder Disc option which is designed to extract from a DVD. You could try that (depending on what version you have). Don's method will ALWAYS work, though.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Don & Edward,

Thanks for the advice. Sorry for the late reply. I use Vegas 6.0 I will definitely try using the DVD player and I probably need to update to the latest version of Vegas. Thanks again.
Old April 7th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

Since you're on Vegas 6, make sure you update to the most current version of Vegas 6. DVD import was added in 6.0c.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #6
Major Player

Womble Mpeg Video Wizard

Mpeg Video Wizard from Womble is another excellent way of extracting, converting and editing the mpg2 format...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...