DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Creating transitions in Vegas 7.0d can it be done? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/91086-creating-transitions-vegas-7-0d-can-done.html)

Stuart Campbell April 9th, 2007 12:25 PM

Creating transitions in Vegas 7.0d can it be done?

Is there anyway I can add Video Event Effects when I modify a transition? I've created a style of transition which includes a dissolve and some video effects. I'd love to be able to save this as a complete transition which keeps all of my keyframes and Effect Event properties and just select it when it is commonly used in an edit.

Is this possible?

p.s I left my printed out Vegas User guide at work over Easter so opted for the in application help service to try to answer the above question. Everytime I instigated a search Vegas crashed. Sony support told me to re-install Vegas and delete registry entries! I don't mind re-installing, but do I really need to delete registry entries?

(apologies for two subjects)

Graham Bernard April 10th, 2007 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart Campbell (Post 656808)
Is there anyway I can add Video Event Effects when I modify a transition?
Is this possible?

Yes. I have saved a transition with k/fs. I don't see it within the "normal" transition tab - maybe that's what is confusing you? - I have to go to Plug-In Manager and drag it from: Plug-Ins > Transitions > Transition Package

That's what I do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart Campbell (Post 656808)
Vegas User guide at work over Easter so opted for the in application help service to try to answer the above question. Everytime I instigated a search Vegas crashed. Sony support told me to re-install Vegas and delete registry entries! I don't mind re-installing, but do I really need to delete registry entries?

(apologies for two subjects)

For me no need for apologies! You could ALSO d/l the manual from the SONY site too. I dunno about V falling over on - sounds like a resource issue?

G

Stuart Campbell April 11th, 2007 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Bernard (Post 657284)
Yes. I have to go to Plug-In Manager and drag it from: Plug-Ins > Transitions > Transition Package
That's what I do.
G

Thanks Graham, I tried dragging everything and anything to and from Plug In Manager without success. Could I trouble you for a little more detail please?

I want to take a cross dissolve and add some film effects and other event effects and then save it as a set transition so that the last 20 frames of one clip and first 20 of adjoining are affected as a default when applying this 'newly made transition'. (maintaining the video event effect keyframes).

Many thanks in anticipation.

p.s Greetings to London, I miss her so! Although the price of beer here in Germany doesn't leave a huge hole in my wallet!

Graham Bernard April 11th, 2007 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart Campbell (Post 658129)
Thanks Graham, I tried dragging everything and anything to and from Plug In Manager without success. Could I trouble you for a little more detail please?

Yes of course. But I think I'm going to be asking you too.

I created my own transition, which makes use of the settings within THAT Sony transition. This appears AS a transition package. It is this package I can drag to an overlap/crossfade. But from understanding a bit more, you are wanting to apply EVENT Fxs to transition package, have that keyframable and PRESERVE that as a repeatable transition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart Campbell (Post 658129)
I want to take a cross dissolve and add some film effects and other event effects and then save it as a set transition so that the last 20 frames of one clip and first 20 of adjoining are affected as a default when applying this 'newly made transition'. (maintaining the video event effect keyframes).

So, you are wanting to use one function - Event FX - within another function - Transition - hmmm... I can't do that? I can use the Transition effects and set up my own Transition packages?

Have you tried these 2?:

#1 - Insert Transition Envelopes. This determines the timing, ramp and "direction" of a transition effect. Have you tried that?

#2 - Copy Paste Attributes. This carries over transitions from one overlap/cross-fade to another.

Interesting.

Can you precisely document just exactly the effect you want to achieve? Maybe that will give me and others a clue? Yeah?

Matthew Chaboud April 12th, 2007 10:31 PM

I think he means that he wants to save off the combination of an FX chain on an event and a transition.

Can't be done currently.

I'm curious to see the effect in a project if you have one handy.

Graham Bernard April 13th, 2007 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Chaboud (Post 659298)

Hi Matt,

I'm curious too! How do I send you a transition? Will that appear in a veg? I made it from the "Ball" plugin-in.

I'm still "curious".

Stuart Campbell April 13th, 2007 08:31 AM

Quote:

I think he means that he wants to save off the combination of an FX chain on an event and a transition.

That's absolutely right Matthew.

Quote:

Can't be done currently.

Bugger! A Vegas limitation!

Quote:

I'll post a link soon. It's quite simple really. It replicates the burning/melting of film in front of a projection lens.
First you see a couple of film effect scratches, then some jitter, then some Glow that's suppressed to create a small and big splodge, which changes from yellow to white. This then increases in size to fill the screen with a horizontal gaussian blur which is dissolved into the next shot. All this happens over 20 frames. The first parts of jitter and scratches start 18 frames earlier.

It would be nice to save this whole lot as one transition which I can just drop over two cips butted together as and when I like. All I'd have to do the is adjust the Glow supression to suit the subject matter.

Graham Bernard April 13th, 2007 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart Campbell (Post 659483)
It's quite simple really. It replicates the burning/melting of film in front of a projection lens.
First you see a couple of film effect scratches, then some jitter, then some Glow that's suppressed to create a small and big splodge, which changes from yellow to white. This then increases in size to fill the screen with a horizontal gaussian blur which is dissolved into the next shot. All this happens over 20 frames. The first parts of jitter and scratches start 18 frames earlier.

It would be nice to save this whole lot as one transition

Ah! Now I see! - I'm on the case. No promises . . yet . ..

G