Creating transitions in Vegas 7.0d can it be done? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 9th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #1
Major Player

Creating transitions in Vegas 7.0d can it be done?

Is there anyway I can add Video Event Effects when I modify a transition? I've created a style of transition which includes a dissolve and some video effects. I'd love to be able to save this as a complete transition which keeps all of my keyframes and Effect Event properties and just select it when it is commonly used in an edit.

Is this possible?

p.s I left my printed out Vegas User guide at work over Easter so opted for the in application help service to try to answer the above question. Everytime I instigated a search Vegas crashed. Sony support told me to re-install Vegas and delete registry entries! I don't mind re-installing, but do I really need to delete registry entries?

(apologies for two subjects)
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 02:56 AM   #2
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Campbell View Post
Is there anyway I can add Video Event Effects when I modify a transition?
Is this possible?
Yes. I have saved a transition with k/fs. I don't see it within the "normal" transition tab - maybe that's what is confusing you? - I have to go to Plug-In Manager and drag it from: Plug-Ins > Transitions > Transition Package

That's what I do.

Quote:
Vegas User guide at work over Easter so opted for the in application help service to try to answer the above question. Everytime I instigated a search Vegas crashed. Sony support told me to re-install Vegas and delete registry entries! I don't mind re-installing, but do I really need to delete registry entries?

(apologies for two subjects)
For me no need for apologies! You could ALSO d/l the manual from the SONY site too. I dunno about V falling over on - sounds like a resource issue?

G
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard View Post
Yes. I have to go to Plug-In Manager and drag it from: Plug-Ins > Transitions > Transition Package
That's what I do.
G
Thanks Graham, I tried dragging everything and anything to and from Plug In Manager without success. Could I trouble you for a little more detail please?

I want to take a cross dissolve and add some film effects and other event effects and then save it as a set transition so that the last 20 frames of one clip and first 20 of adjoining are affected as a default when applying this 'newly made transition'. (maintaining the video event effect keyframes).

Many thanks in anticipation.

p.s Greetings to London, I miss her so! Although the price of beer here in Germany doesn't leave a huge hole in my wallet!
Old April 11th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #4
Old Boot

Quote:
Thanks Graham, I tried dragging everything and anything to and from Plug In Manager without success. Could I trouble you for a little more detail please?
Yes of course. But I think I'm going to be asking you too.

I created my own transition, which makes use of the settings within THAT Sony transition. This appears AS a transition package. It is this package I can drag to an overlap/crossfade. But from understanding a bit more, you are wanting to apply EVENT Fxs to transition package, have that keyframable and PRESERVE that as a repeatable transition.

Quote:
I want to take a cross dissolve and add some film effects and other event effects and then save it as a set transition so that the last 20 frames of one clip and first 20 of adjoining are affected as a default when applying this 'newly made transition'. (maintaining the video event effect keyframes).
So, you are wanting to use one function - Event FX - within another function - Transition - hmmm... I can't do that? I can use the Transition effects and set up my own Transition packages?

Have you tried these 2?:

#1 - Insert Transition Envelopes. This determines the timing, ramp and "direction" of a transition effect. Have you tried that?

#2 - Copy Paste Attributes. This carries over transitions from one overlap/cross-fade to another.

Interesting.

Can you precisely document just exactly the effect you want to achieve? Maybe that will give me and others a clue? Yeah?
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I think he means that he wants to save off the combination of an FX chain on an event and a transition.

Can't be done currently.

I'm curious to see the effect in a project if you have one handy.
Matthew Chaboud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 01:45 AM   #6
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Chaboud View Post
Hi Matt,

I'm curious too! How do I send you a transition? Will that appear in a veg? I made it from the "Ball" plugin-in.

I'm still "curious".
Old April 13th, 2007, 08:31 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
I think he means that he wants to save off the combination of an FX chain on an event and a transition.
That's absolutely right Matthew.

Quote:
Can't be done currently.
Bugger! A Vegas limitation!

Quote:
I'll post a link soon. It's quite simple really. It replicates the burning/melting of film in front of a projection lens.
First you see a couple of film effect scratches, then some jitter, then some Glow that's suppressed to create a small and big splodge, which changes from yellow to white. This then increases in size to fill the screen with a horizontal gaussian blur which is dissolved into the next shot. All this happens over 20 frames. The first parts of jitter and scratches start 18 frames earlier.

It would be nice to save this whole lot as one transition which I can just drop over two cips butted together as and when I like. All I'd have to do the is adjust the Glow supression to suit the subject matter.
Old April 13th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #8
Old Boot

Quote:
It's quite simple really. It replicates the burning/melting of film in front of a projection lens.
First you see a couple of film effect scratches, then some jitter, then some Glow that's suppressed to create a small and big splodge, which changes from yellow to white. This then increases in size to fill the screen with a horizontal gaussian blur which is dissolved into the next shot. All this happens over 20 frames. The first parts of jitter and scratches start 18 frames earlier.

It would be nice to save this whole lot as one transition
Ah! Now I see! - I'm on the case. No promises . . yet . ..

G
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...