Vegas 7 + DVD in Vista Ultimate? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 10th, 2007, 12:01 AM   #1
Major Player

Vegas 7 + DVD in Vista Ultimate?

Has anyone got any experience in using Vegas 7 in Vista Ultimate which is a 64 bit OS. I am looking at switching from Adobe, which cannot run on the "Ultimate" version of Vista.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #2
Major Player

There are both 32 and 64 nit versions of Vista Ultimate.

On that note, is anyone running Vegas under vista? I may bite the bullet and buy ti for my new PC.......
Kevin James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Vegas under Vista is not supported, but there's a forum at sonycreativesoftware.com for Vista users.

I think that there are quite a few people doing it. I'm running it on several Vista machines. I only run Vista Ultimate because I don't want to be caught out not having some feature if I want it. As an MSDN subscriber, making that kind of decision is easy. Most of my Vista problems have been purely Vista problems (not related to any particular program).

You can "trial" Vista by running for 30 days without a key. Give it a shot, install Vegas, and find out what shakes out, provided you have the time.
Matthew Chaboud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm running Vegas 7 on Vista Ultimate. The only things I did differently were:

Did not install the Media Manager and then I configured Vegas to not try to load it.

Disabled the Windows Media Center Receiver service. Not a Vegas specific issue, but kept getting conflicts with different capture apps (Nero, Vegas, Pinnacle) when they would try to detect capture cards. Receiver service apparently was choking when something else tried to use the card. I don't watch TV on the PC, so I just disabled the service.

Other than that, it's been working flawlessly. No crashes, no hangs etc. I am running the 32 bit version of Ultimate for now because I didn't want to deal with the 64 bit driver issues. Once I know that there is adequate support for my config, I'll reinstall with the 64-bit version.

--Steve
Steve Szudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 12:10 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Running Vegas 7 On Vista x64

I'm running Vegas 7 on Vista Ultimate 64-bit. The application runs fine except that you will lose the Media Manager. I tried to outwit the Media Manager application by installing MS SQL Express For Desktop. It appeared that the MM installed fine, but, unfortunately, MM does not appear to be functioning even though the service was created and is running.

Initially there were no 64-bit drivers for my shuttle control, but these have now been provided.

Because of compatibility issues with the 64-bit version (and I have slogged through many of them), I plan to rebuild with Vista 32-bit. This is the version that future versions of Vegas will be compatible with according to Sony Creative Media's website.

Cheers!
Clay Coulter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...