m2t playback - Useful at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 16th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #1
Major Player

m2t playback - Useful

Thought this may be of interest. I'm recording in High Def and capturing the resulting m2t files. The m2t files play back fine if I drag them into Vegas but, if I wanted to view them without opening Vegas I couldn't as the file format wasn't recognised by Media Player etc.

Downloaded this (it's free) and I can now playback m2t tracks in all their glory!

http://www.videolan.org/

Hope this is of use to some of you.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 08:51 AM   #2
Inner Circle

wierd..
my media player (v10 on my workstation and core2 duo lappy) both run M2t and cineform without skippign a beat.. in fact, i regularly run cineform AVI's from teh lappy using mediaplyer and set it to close the video overlay on the second head.. this way i get full screen playback of HD when projected etc etc..

As for M2t.. well.. ive never had an issue..
in fact i use it to preview certain clips..

no thinking involved..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

For me, I found this to be the case: Media Player (assuming you mean Windows Media Player) by default doesn't understand what an M2T file is. You can however tell it to try to play it anyhow. As long as the underlying format is similar to one that it does undestand, the playback will normally work just fine. I have done this with .MOV (before I installed QT) as well as .M2Ts. Seems to work just fine.

Steve
Steve Szudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #4
New Boot

Nero worked for me first time. The other options (videolan, media player, qt, etc.) had issues that I didn't have time to troubleshoot.
Doug Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #5
Trustee

Overhead

I found that VideoLan (VLC) has WAY lower program overhead for playing anything, especially when compared to Windows Media Player. The only reason that mattered is because I had a looping presentation of a WMV file that would sit un-attended at a bank lobb and I wanted to make sure the app wouldn't crash after a few hours of looping through a 5 minute video.

Seemed to work just fine (except the bank custodian kept shutting off the computer at night!).

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...