Troubles with Film Effects Filter in Vegas 6 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 15th, 2007, 07:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
Jonny, just got back from my primary clients offices - they have an extensive collection of Artbeats stock footage, including the Film Clutter footage I mentioned earlier. This contains real footage of ACTUAL dust, scratches etc on real bits of film. I thought I'd take a quick peek at what real film damage footage looks like and see if I could replicate it using the Vegas filter.

I'm afraid I didn't have time to make stills (I was, after all, working for them) but I went through every frame of a 6 second stock clip (180 frames) and counted no fewer than 56 frames with no dust particles at all and four instances of 3 frame or more sequences with no particles. If you include frames where the particles were barely visible you can more than double that. (How anal am I ????). There were around 20 frames with loads of particles and the rest contained anything between one and four or five.
What about the dust being in identical places, almost, over the course of 3 frames? Haha...

Quote:
I looked at the veg file you supplied and replaced six seconds of your footage with a black still taken from an 'empty' frame of the Artbeats footage, but retaining the same settings you used. Your dust particle setting seemed quite low and I would suggest increasing it. Also, try putting the B&W filter before the film effects. I got a remarkably similar look to the Artbeats 'real' footage.
Ah okay, I'll try that...

Quote:
Now, I can't comment on the hair size issue other than to say that for me the hairs when rendered were the same size as when previewed full size.
No I mean the hairs look better, more old-fashioned and low budget, when in 'Preview' Preview mode. Bigger.
Old August 16th, 2007, 01:09 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Brady View Post
What about the dust being in identical places, almost, over the course of 3 frames? Haha...
Clever dust?

Well, I think we're all agreed that the Vegas film damage plug ain't the world's best.

Question is: will your audience notice it?

If you answer 'no' then all is well. If you answer 'yes' then whip out your wallet cos you're gonna need one of the other solutions!

Cheers,

Ian . . .

Last edited by Ian Stark; August 16th, 2007 at 04:08 AM.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 04:03 AM   #33
Old Boot

Quote:
Well, I think we're all agreed that the Vegas film damage plug ain't the world's best.
Thanks Guys! This HAS to be the funniest thread I've been involved in, in years!!

G . . .
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #34

Quote:
Clever dust?

Question is: will your audience notice it?

If you answer 'no' then all is well. If you answer 'yes' then whip out your wallet cos you're gonna need one of the other solutions!

Cheers,

Ian . . .
It's not that my audience will or will not notice it, I'd rather create a convincing project that looks like film rather thatn some crappy DV project with a really bad film filter slapped on top. I'll notice it and it annoys me. Sigh.

Also, I wanted the dust to be larger, and only sit there for one frame in the same place. The fact that it's tiny and flashes... something dust on film just DOESN'T do... yeah I think the audience will notice. It's meant to look realistic. Sigh.

I looked at Magic Bullet software, $399 for that? And it's not even GOOD, still. UGH.
Old August 18th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #35
Inner Circle

You're welcome.
Old August 18th, 2007, 01:18 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Oh I meant to add that just by adding a film damage filter you aren't going to make your project look like film. You will make it look like video with a film damage filter on it which WILL be noticeable because it will just look plain wrong.

If you want it to 'resemble' film (which is the best you will ever achieve - check out the hundreds of other threads on the subject in this forum alone) then you need to invest a huge amount of time in tweaking a whole variety of filters or a huge amount of money in a set of film-look plugs.
Old August 29th, 2007, 04:21 PM   #37

That's weird, the size of the hairs is much bigger in this test video I did...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0_6eKdG8ks8

I wonder how I managed that...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...