Canon 24f locks-up Vegas 7... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 3rd, 2007, 01:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon 24f locks-up Vegas 7...

Hello,

I have had my Canon XH-A1 for a few days now... I really love it. I have been using Vegas 7 and have had really no problem capturing and edting 1080i 60p. I render as a Windows Media Video V9 file at the 6 Mbps 720-30p video setting. While the rendering is fairly slow, the finished product looks good on my PC screen.

However, I shot some 1080 24f today and had some problems with Vegas telling me that my System was too short on memory. I attempted to render again as a Windows Media Video but this time at the 6.4 Mbps 1080-24p video setting. I couldn't even get past about three seconds of the rendering process before Vegas locked-up. Also, the whole timeline and workflow is much worse/slower.

Am I doing something wrong? This is my first experience with HDV and Vegas 7. If any one has any successful workflow proceedures they would like to share, I would greatly appreciate it. Specifically, the best way to go from HDV to viewing on my computer, the best way to view HDV on the internet, and HDV to a DVD (Standard Def).

Also, I have the following computer system:

AMD 64 3500+ (single core)
2 Gigs of Ram
256 meg NVIDIA Video Card

Thanks in advance for your replies and any advice as to how I can get the best performance from my machine. I just can't afford a new computer right now.

Jerry
Jerry Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:39 AM   #2
Disjecta

Sony just released Vegas 7 version "D". You might want to download that first and try again.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:34 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

That would be version "E"
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:53 AM   #4
Disjecta

Uh, yeah...what he said :)
Old May 4th, 2007, 07:21 AM   #5
Major Player

I had a similar problem... Try setting your dynamic RAM preview to "0".... Makes for slower renders but at least it renders.... : )
Doug Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 08:45 AM   #6

Setting Dynamic to 0 should give you faster renders, not slower, unless you're using a lot of stills.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 10:19 AM   #7
Major Player

I am no sure, it may be codec specific... I just know I have a quad core processor and if I have a lengthy project it will lock up in Vegas during render but be using 70% of my processor... Then I set Dynamic Ram to 0 and it uses about 30% of my processor and finishes just fine... It's a strange issue...
Doug Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
Setting Dynamic to 0 should give you faster renders, not slower, unless you're using a lot of stills.
This is not true.

We've profiled this on a number of projects, and setting this pref to zero is really bad for performance. I'd be curious to know what, in your experience, has lead to this statement, as the engine just has to do more work without available cache memory.

Some filters (3rd party) require in-order frame-rendering to produce appropriate results, which is really the only reason to drop this pref to zero.

I'm curious to know if these files are being read into Vegas with the m2ts reader or falling back to the Mainconcept reader. The summary text that shows when this file is selected in the Vegas explorer window should say.
Matthew Chaboud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Doug, if you're doing some heavy 3D or compositing, it is possible for Vegas to use an awful lot of memory when using 4 threads and HD.

Bringing the thread count down may correct this.
Matthew Chaboud is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...