rendering a 16x9 wmv? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 12th, 2007, 02:26 AM   #1
Major Player

rendering a 16x9 wmv?

This is vaguely in the "web delivery" sort of category, but I'm struggling with vegas.

I have a project that is set to NTSC DV Widescreen. (720x480)

I would like to render a low-quality WMV of this clip (using the 512kbps template).

Project set to widescreen..."do not letterbox" is checked, but no matter what, I end up with a 4:3 squished image. Windows Media Player, VLC, Quicktime, Core Media all play the file 4:3. Is there supposed to be some "flag" in the wmv that tells the player to default to widescreen and I have overlooked it?

Am I going to have to just render the 16x9 image in a 4:3 letterbox?

If I render to avi, DV Widescreen, Media Player will actually play the image in 16x9, but all other media players play it 4:3. I can force Core Media Player to 16x9, but I can do that with any file. That seemed odd as well.

Thanks for any input...and if this isn't in the right forum, feel free to move it over.

JR

Last edited by Jeremiah Rickert; May 12th, 2007 at 02:27 AM. Reason: unclear bit
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 07:11 AM   #2
Major Player

When transcoding from DV widescreen to WMV or other codecs that use square pixels, I have found it better to convert the anamorphic pixels to square. A 720x480 DV widescreen frame when converted to square pixels is 872x480. If you want to keep the full frame in WMV, then set your WMV render template to 872x480. This will play in proper aspect ratio in any media player. I find 1/2 size works very well. That would be 436x240.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dealt with this issue once. If Guy's suggestions don't work for you, try the freeware Windows Media Encoder from microsoft.com. It exposes a few more encoding controls than Vegas, including the widescreen flag. Quality is the same, though you'll have to render to DV out of Vegas.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 11:51 AM   #4
Trustee

I render the 720p wmv to solve the prob.. but that only makes sense if u r using m2t.. I cant solve the wide looks if I render to anything else in wmv too
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #5
Trustee

ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
I render the 720p wmv to solve the prob.. but that only makes sense if u r using m2t.. I cant solve the wide looks if I render to anything else in wmv too
I fought with this for quite a while too. I eventually gave up and render to quick time in wide screen because it can do it just fine. Sorry, I know that isn't an actual solution. Now I haven't used this solution with 1/2 size renders (to keep DL size small), so I'm not sure how that works.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...