How are people backing up m2t files that are too big? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 28th, 2007, 09:21 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Marques View Post
Why not just back up to more than one drive? HDD's are still better than DVD. I think you might be biased because of this one bad experience - I wouldn't abandon HDD's just yet.
I agree 100%. I've had students come to me asking if I still have their material from a previous year because their DVD would no longer play. Sometimes it's their fault because of cheap media or mishandling but I still don't trust DVDs for archiving purposes.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 02:22 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Szudzik View Post
External hard drives can be a great way to go as well. There are a number of really great Firewire & USB drives available now at good prices. I've got a 500 gig WD myBook that's very performant. It's small and portable as well and I can hook it up to any machine I want to. If you think about storage space, that 500 gigs can hold the equivalent of over 50 dual layer DVDs. It's smaller in size than 50 DVDs and I can read & write to it much faster that I can burn all that data to DVD! You can even daisy chain them together, up to 48 over firewire I believe.

--Steve
I agree 100% with Steve on this. At 500Gb for about $150 or less, you can't beat portable hard drives for a pretty darn reliable form of backing up .m2t files. Let's face it, you are probably not going to be running the drive all that often and from a reliability factor, I think HDD technology has proven to be fairly reliable.

If you are *really* self consience about losing data, then buy twice as many portable hard drives, backup the data identically on both drives, then take your secondary backup device and put it in a safe deposit box at the bank or bring it to a friends house. Now you've covered yourself should some disaster happen to your home/office and the cost to do this is *still* relatively cheap considering the value of your data.

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #18
Major Player

We have never once had a hard drive fail. We use hard drives to back up all of our files. We use Western Digital Drives in a server case and 2.5" Hitachi / Segate Drives for our portable use. Slap them in a firewire case ($10 - $30) and you're set. Don't go pay for an "external" hard drive because they charge way too much for them. Make your own.
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...