M2v files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 4th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #1
New Boot

M2v files

I downloaded the demo for Vegas to decide on purchasing it or Liquid. The first thing I tried to do was load an M2V file with no luck. The program doesn't include this extension in its explorer and when I try to force it to load a file, it won't recognize it.

What is the easiest way to import these files?
Robert Wertheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Try changing the extension from m2v to mpg or mpeg.
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
Try changing the extension from m2v to mpg or mpeg.
Nope that didn't work at all. Files will load in Pinnacle Studio though...
Robert Wertheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:32 AM   #4
Major Player

I use tmpgenc to convert them to mpg. I don't know of any freeware that does the same thing.
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #5
Trustee

odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Wertheimer View Post
I downloaded the demo for Vegas to decide on purchasing it or Liquid. The first thing I tried to do was load an M2V file with no luck. The program doesn't include this extension in its explorer and when I try to force it to load a file, it won't recognize it.

What is the easiest way to import these files?
was the M2V created using another version of Vegas?

I have had some AVI files not recognized by Vegas. The files were AVI files created by my still camera (Canon Powershot S1-is) in 640x480x30fps. For some reason only the sound shows up. But I can view the files using windows media player just fine.

must have something to do with the nonstandard resolution. i open in Quicktime pro and export to mov then vegas reads them.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
I have had some AVI files not recognized by Vegas. The files were AVI files created by my still camera (Canon Powershot S1-is) in 640x480x30fps. For some reason only the sound shows up. But I can view the files using windows media player just fine.

must have something to do with the nonstandard resolution. i open in Quicktime pro and export to mov then vegas reads them.

Even though the file says AVI, digital still cameras like yours (and mine too) use an MJPEG codec. My solution was to buy a codec ($20) and they now load into Vegas just fine. You've found a workaround though so I'm not sure if you want to spend any more money on it :-)
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #7
Trustee

quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
Even though the file says AVI, digital still cameras like yours (and mine too) use an MJPEG codec. My solution was to buy a codec ($20) and they now load into Vegas just fine. You've found a workaround though so I'm not sure if you want to spend any more money on it :-)
Well the quality isn't great. The quicktimes are friggin huge when they come out too.

But I don't often shoot with that camera. If you want to see some of the footage shot with it (and then converted to mov and then uploaded to flv) go to the below link.

I did actually shoot a few seconds of footage once at a wedding because my main camera was rolling and I wanted some audience B-roll. Colors were completely different than the main camera so it stuck out a little.... but oh well. That was my 2nd "free for a friend" gig so I wasn't too caught up in details yet. I was still making sure I didn't screw up the big stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxzu9gPMsEE
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
Well the quality isn't great. The quicktimes are friggin huge when they come out too.
All the more reason to buy an MJPEG codec.
Then you won't have to go through the conversion process.

Quote:
But I don't often shoot with that camera.
I don't use mine for too much video either but I do have some footage of my 85 yr. old mother getting out of a wheelchair to dance. It was the only "camcorder" available so, needless to say, the poor quality was secondary.

Quote:
If you want to see some of the footage shot with it (and then converted to mov and then uploaded to flv) go to the below link.
Someone else who has a death wish :-)
Just kidding as I have a sister who's a mountain climber and I know that safety is a top priority.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #9
Major Player

You can use MPEG streamclip to convert the files, it was a free download, although I cannot remember where. made by Square 5 or squared 5? Search MPEG streamclip. It works great for me. I hope this helps. J
John L. Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...