Help, Vegas HANGS during rendering!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 5th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #1
Trustee

Help, Vegas HANGS during rendering!!

Working on a 4min HDV MV project. Mainly m2t clips with 6 jpeg photos. One of the photo is on a 3D source Alpha with some 3D movements. I encounter the rendering failing at 85% roughly.. the message is an "error Exception". I believe it is due memory issues. After 4 failures, I increased the preview RAM size to 512Mb from 384Mb but still get an error. Finally I closed the preview window b4 rendering and it managed to go thru. However I get a "virtual memory low" warning from windows. Is this normal? I have 1.5GB RAM on this machine but the selectable RAM is 1024MB.

Has it got to do with the temp file location? The temp file location is C:\ with the OS. Has 12Gb shape left now.

It looks like a RAM issue here but what is the optimal setting? 384Mb? Are there other settings I need to tweak?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Instead of raising the ram preview size, try lowering it.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

hi!
i had same problem.And guess what,problem was in videofile.maybe 1 or 2 frames a missing.Of course capture was ok,or dosn't tell about dropped frames.If i rendered output file then almost 80 % done and i got error message.*i started to look over my timeline at this zone of time and found that some frames a missing.i cut away section and everything went ok.

maybe this helps..;)
Raul Rooma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 04:53 AM   #4
Trustee

i checked the footage. The problem occurs at the part of the photos. My machine cant seem to handle it.

I tried Edwards suggestion to reduce the RAM preview from 512 to 384MB but it crashed again. I managed to get it working with 512Mb but with a "virtual memory low" warning from windows. Had to close the preview window for that to work as well
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Sean, I've heard of people going lower, much lower in ram preview setting when dealing with rendering issues (0, 16MB...). But I'm not speaking from experience here, just what I've read about.

That renders seem to be choking when they get to the stills is a definite clue. How big are these stills? Vegas has always had some issues with hi-rez stills, which can easily be 5 or 8 MP. The rule of thumb for stills that are static on the timeline is up to 2x the project size, for NTSC DV that would be 1440x960, for HDV 2880x2160.

However, the math gets a little more complicated when you're doing a move on the still, you'd want to scale the still such that the tightest view is about 2x. Approximate is fine.

All this scaling would be done in Photoshop, or if you don't have it, try Irfanview (freeware).

If it does turn out to be the stills and they continue to be problematic, you can try a couple other things - Convert to png or tga. Put the still sequence(s) on its own timeline/project, and render it to an intermediate.

***edit***
Oops, don't forget the pixel aspect ratio conversions for DV if your image editor doesn't work in rectangular PAR. A full frame is 640x480, 2x would be 1280x960. Or, go into the media properties of an event and adjust pixel aspect ratio there.

Last edited by Seth Bloombaum; June 7th, 2007 at 10:34 AM.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #6
Major Player

I have had vegas crash on hi-rez stills as well. I resized them and vegas worked fine again.
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #7
Trustee

Yeah u guys r right.. I have just resized them and as u mentioned, the photos r beyond 2x of HDV resolution. Hmm that is the answer I think. Thank u SO MUCH!!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...