Audio distorted on capture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 7th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio distorted on capture SOLVED!!!

Any ideas anyone, I am capturing video from my GL2, the sounds plays fine on the camera, when I capture it, the audio is very low and distorted, probably from having to turn it up load enough to even hear it. I tried capturing in windows movie maker with the same result. Anyone have any suggestions on where to looK.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

Last edited by Ryan Mason; June 8th, 2007 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Problem solved
Ryan Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Ryan,............

Before you do anything else, check and update ALL device drivers, especially for your sound system.

See if that does it.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Chris, thanks for the idea, unfortunately it did nothing. However, I did find something interesting. The video I am capturing was recorded with a shotgun mic, in mono, I get a very faint sound, however there is a point that I recorded with the on camera stereo mic, and it comes through fine. How does the sound go through the firewire cable, does it actually get processed through the sound card, or is it just passed in digitally. Once again, thank you everyone for your help.

Ryan
Old June 8th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Was the audio recorded in 12-bit mode?
Using this mode may result in an external mic's sound being recorded on audio channel 3 or 4 which the capture program in Vegas will not recognize.
For that, you'll have to use Scenalyzer. For $34 (U.S.), it's a great tool.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 07:23 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks all, those are great suggestions, and I will try to remember them down the road for problems that may arise, however, it was much simpler than either of those solutions. I just hooked the speakers up to the computer, I just built the computer for doing video, and when I plugged them in, I never plugged the left speaker into the right, so since all the audio was on the left channel, I was just hearing the bleed over through my right speaker, the audio is just fine. Thank you so much for your patients with such a noobie........

Ryan
Old June 16th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
Was the audio recorded in 12-bit mode?
Using this mode may result in an external mic's sound being recorded on audio channel 3 or 4 which the capture program in Vegas will not recognize.
For that, you'll have to use Scenalyzer. For $34 (U.S.), it's a great tool.
Before I post a new thread, thought I'd first ask in this one.

My problem seems really quite weird to me. I recently made dubs from BetaSP tapes onto MiniDV tapes. After dubbing, I checked the dubs I'd just made to insure they were good copies. All "seemed" great...

But, then I later tried to capture from the MiniDVs. Video captures fine however there is no audio captured. Using the exact same connections, I am able to capture video and audio that I've recorded on other tapes with my DV camcorder. My first thought was that the dubs were simply bad. (duh)

But, then I put the miniDV dub tape in my camcorder, hit playback and <voila!> the audio is there (using headphones connected to the camcorder) and it sounds perfect. The audio is 16-bit (48k) for what that's worth... Thinking my (Panasonic) DV deck's output might be the culprit --- I tried capturing directly from my camcorder. Again, no audio is captured using either Adobe Premier Pro or Windows Movie Maker.

Oh yeah, I am going from the deck to my PC with firewire (IEEE1394).

As I said, I can capture video with audio successfuly with tapes that I've shot using my camcorders, just can't capture the audio from the dubs I just made.

Please tell me the simple solution. I spent hours dubbing and hate to think it was wasted effort. I can't imagine what I am doing or have done wrong...

Thanks a billion for any help!
Ed Baatz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...