Quad Core? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 8th, 2007, 07:15 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Quad Core?

Question for our hardware experts...

Are the new quad-core Intel chips likely to be appreciably faster than duo-core for Vegas?

Vegas, as I seem to recall, can only utilize 2Gb of Memory. Can anyone confirm that 4 would not be an improvement?

Is the jump from my 3.0 Dual Core to a new Duo-Core going to be noticeable, with all other factors being equal?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:37 AM   #2
Major Player

I went from an overclocked E6300 core 2 duo to a Q6600 quad core and halved my render times. Vegas uses all four cores. There is a long thread over at Sony Creative Software Vegas forum on render times vs. different computer configurations that will give you more information.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:46 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Based on the render result times posted in this thread on the Sony forum, I'd say to go for the quad core.

On the 2GB vs. 4GB. question, opinions seem to be mixed.
The bottom line is, if you can afford it, go for it.
When Sony comes out with a 64 bit version of Vegas (this fall??), you'll be glad you did :-)
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Excactly the info I needed. I love this forum!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 01:09 PM   #5
Major Player

What about 8gb of RAM? Would Vegas 7.0e be able to use that? And does Vegas 7.0e utilize a dedicated graphics card much, or should I save the money and get some mediocre card as opposed to say the Nvidia 8800 GTX Ultra/8800 GTX/8800 GTS (640mb)? I don't plan on using SLI.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 02:34 PM   #6
Major Player

I don't know about 8GB RAM. XP only works with 3GB. Although 7e sorta works with Vista (according to posts I've read), I can't see the advantage of using Vista vs. the downsides.

Vegas does not use the hardware acceleration available on some video cards. A simple video card works just as good as a gamer card. However, if you are going to shoot HD video, the new video cards from Nvidia and ATI WILL accelerate high def video during playback. That could ease some of the playback sluggishness. The Nvidia 8500 and 8600 cards and the ATI N2000 cards offer a lot of capability.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 03:20 PM   #7
Major Player

Well, I plan on upgrading to Vista. What are the downsides of Vegas with Vista? Vista can support more RAM than XP from what I've read.
Old June 8th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Thames View Post
Well, I plan on upgrading to Vista. What are the downsides of Vegas with Vista? Vista can support more RAM than XP from what I've read.
Don't believe Vista in 32-bit will support any more RAM than XP Professional at this point. Why upgrade? See this thread...
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=95767
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #9
Major Player

Vista 64-bit.

So there's a few bugs in Vista. That's too be expected. I'll go with Vista and as the fixes come out, I'll apply them. Don't think there will be a problem. I see more advantages than disadvantages, but I guess everyone needs to decide that for themselves.
Old June 8th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #10
Inner Circle

quote:"The people at work don't care if you show up in a Porche or a Ford"

mmmmh.. that is the way it should be, BUT currently it is probably the only thing that counts when you show up at work (and probably the reason why your boss shows up at work with a porsche or other big/expensive car).
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 07:18 PM   #11
Major Player

Re: the amount of RAM

AFAIK, max RAM is determined by your OS.

Found that out the hard way...kinda.

Picked up 4 gigs of RAM at t*********t.ca for a sweet price.

I was pumped about going from 1 gig to 4 gigs until I installed.

XP Pro only recognizes 3 gigs. The fourth gets..."lost", I guess.

Cost me $100 to find that out but I'm not complaining too much. When I upgrade I'll swap the RAM over to my quad core purchase in the next 6 months.

Hope that helps.

ian
Ian Slessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 07:33 PM   #12
Inner Circle

The following article may help with the question of memory as it relates to XP. It appears XP sp2 can utilize 4 gigs of memory, under the right conditions.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888137/en-us
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...