Divx HD cheap solution at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 11th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #1
Major Player

Divx HD cheap solution

I have been searching the vegas forum and cannot seem to find an adequate answer to my questions. I have been considering a Hi Def DVD solution for my personal use and have discovered some nice possiblities with the Divx format. Apparently you can get decent HD on standard DVDs and a Hi Def DVD player that plays DivX format for less than 60.00 bucks. It all sounds great, but since Vegas does not render to this format, how are you guys getting Divx HD to your DVD? Are you rendering to another format and converting with something else then what are you using to Author the DVD?

Is there a plug in for Vegas 7.0e?

What is the workflow after editing the Cineform intermediate HDV?

What do you Convert the files to Divx with? And what software are you using to get the DivX HD files to disc? I would really like some help with this. This is a very affordable HD solution for me. Thanks. J
John L. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 06:53 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I am curious, as well.

I tried DrDivX, as well as the 15 day trial with the DivX converter... but I can not seem to get the resolution as good as I want.
Old June 11th, 2007, 07:28 AM   #3
Major Player

Try TMPGenc express 4.0

Best bang for the buck.
Herman Van Deventer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #4
Major Player

I have downloaded ffdshow that plugs in to vegas, although I cannot remember where and when I got it. But you can choose the .avi render solution and choose ffdshow and the codec. Then configure to Divx. It seems to be working, I have watched the clips on Window media player, but I have not figured out how to author it to DVD and keep the HD.
Old June 11th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #5
Major Player

No DivX HD on DivX DVD players.

I have been looking at the affordable upconvert DVD players that play the DivX files. They upconvert SD to HD, obviously if not shot in HD you can only improve the picture so much, but they do play the DivX files. Here is the problem, I cannot find anything for any of these players that says these DVD players will play DivX HD. That is different. Just because the DVD player upconverts to HD and plays DivX files does not mean it will play your DivX HD dvd unmolested. In fact, I read on some sights where some have complained that it plays these files in SD and then upconverts them. Whats up with that? The only DivX HD players I have found are also DVD HD. So, I guess I am going with one of those players. I am not wasting my money on Blue Ray because it costs way too much. I will support DVD HD and HD DivX because it provides HD at an affordable price. I wish I could find a WMV HD DVD player that was affordable. I really like these files. J
Old October 14th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #6
Major Player

TMPGenc express 4.0

I just purchased TMPGenc express 4.0 and it's an awesome product for conversion to Divx, beats DrDvix hands down!
Rich Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #7

I'm not sure why you can't use DivX within Vegas. It works fine from Vegas 8 for me. You need to drill down thru the avi preferences and be sure you have "Don't use third party codecs" unchecked to find it. But it IS there.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Divx and XVID have always worked fine for me within Vegas, from version 4 onwards.

Choose .avi as your render format, click Custom..., click Video tab, choose XVID (or Divx) as your codec. Save it as a template once you get it working nicely.
Gian Pablo Villamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L. Miller View Post
I have been searching the vegas forum and cannot seem to find an adequate answer to my questions. I have been considering a Hi Def DVD solution for my personal use and have discovered some nice possiblities with the Divx format. Apparently you can get decent HD on standard DVDs and a Hi Def DVD player that plays DivX format for less than 60.00 bucks.
Yes, you can get some decent HD on plain old red-laser DVDs. Yes, you can get a DivX player with <i>upconversion</i> for under $60... (woot.com had a DivX player and DVD recorder, refurb, for only a bit more recently). However,
upconverting players don't actually play HD... they take SD and spit it out in your favorite HD format of choice... pretend HD.

There are a very few red laser DVD players that actually can play HD from DVDs. I've had one of these since 2005 (the IOData AVeL Linkplayer2); most of them are out of production, now, with the advent of the blue-laser player standards.

Quote:
It all sounds great, but since Vegas does not render to this format, how are you guys getting Divx HD to your DVD?
Of course Vegas can render to DivX HD. It's not included with Vegas, but if you buy the DivX authoring package (I have this, it's cheap), you get a standard CODEC plug-in that does all of the official DivX formats (HD, SD, portable, etc).

Naturally, this is only video rendering. Vegas does fine at rendering DivX HD, WMV/HD, WMV/VC-1 or H.264 for HD-DVD and Blu Ray. What you need beyond that, for any interesting discs, is an authoring application. I have generally made my own WMV/HD discs (which play in the IOData unit) "by hand"... the interface is based on HTML and JavaScript. Nowhere near as easy as making a DVD in DVD Architect, or other DVD authoring apps, but it does work.

Quote:
Is there a plug in for Vegas 7.0e?
Most video CODECs, such as DivX, are available as modules for Windows, either Video for Windows (the old one) or DirectShow (the current one) multimedia subsystems... often both. Any of these will work in Vegas, and most other Windows applications.

DivX is based on the MPEG-4 Advanced Simple Profile encoder, and you can buy the authoring app from http://www.divx.com for cheap. There's also an open source version of it, called XviD, which you can find via Google. The DivX stuff tends to be a bit faster and possibly better quality, but the Xvid encoder is decent.

One nice thing about DivX is that they certify hardware (DVD players, PMPs, etc). The DivX authoring stuff includes preset to ensure your video conforms to the various standards, the XviD stuff does not.

For WMV/HD, you need Windows Media 9 video, which is generally part of the Windows OS these days. They do offer an advanced encoder, which has some extra features over and above the CODEC's settings. WMV9 is probably a bit more efficient than DivX, but I believe the DivX code has been tweaked better, so it encodes faster for the same bitrate.

Quote:
What is the workflow after editing the Cineform intermediate HDV?
I really don't use Cineform anymore, but the workflow is the same, regardless of the form of your HD input video. I usually print an HDV copy of any significant video edit, to write back to tape. For WMV9, I render to WMV9; for DivX, I render to DivX, in either case, from the Vegas timeline. You can use the same sort of bitrate calculators you use for SD video, since you generally set bitrate as the primary tweakable in either CODEC.

My IOData player also plays DivX-HD, at least to an extent. The original DivX-HD profile was 720/30p at around 3000kb/s, with an MP3 audio track (though AC-3 surround sound is also pretty commonly done). I'm more likely to render for 1080/60i or 1080/24p, depending on the material... I think there's a new DivX spec for these resolutions, but I haven't done DivX in awhile.

The advantage of WMV/HD has been that my player understands this format, so I get navigation and all on the player, not just on a PC. DivX 6 offers its own navigation solution, and there's at least one cheapish authoring system out for it. This will still play the main video under DivX 5 machines, but that's still kind of annoying on a DVD player. In general, if your DVD player doesn't know DivX 6 or WMV/HD, it may well play the main video, but it doesn't autoplay, it doesn't handle dual-mode discs (I do DVDs with WMV/HD and DVD on the same disc... my IOData asks which one I want to play). Plain old AVI, DIVX, and WMV files will play, but you have to browse to find them.

When you're authoring HD, it's also cool to have network play. The IOData unit plays HD, including WMV9, DivX, and MPEG-2 .mpg and .ts files over a sufficiently fast network (I have a Gb backbone from my main PC to my livingroom... the DVD and other devices connect to this via a 1000/100 switch).

And of course, if you have a recent HDTV, you can probably plug your DVD player directly into the TV over Firewire and/or HDMI (my 71" Samsung does both).
Old October 17th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Weird, you can encode XVID?

I can't encode XVID but I can encode DivX.

If I re-associate Xvid with the original Xvid codec, it doesn't work. But it works with the generic MPEG-4 decoder in the Divx codec.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
Weird, you can encode XVID?

I can't encode XVID but I can encode DivX.

If I re-associate Xvid with the original Xvid codec, it doesn't work. But it works with the generic MPEG-4 decoder in the Divx codec.
I did install XviD after DivX, originally... though that was some number of DivX updates ago. They both work fine, always have worked fine, and shouldn't be in any sort of conflict unless you try to register one for the other, I guess. I never had to do any trickery... it just worked.

As far as decoding, yes, XviD and DivX ought to be interchangeable.
Old October 18th, 2007, 04:46 AM   #12
Trustee

Wow, Dave. That was an awesome tutorial. Great job. Thanks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...