Is DVD Architect really useful? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 21st, 2007, 07:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Is DVD Architect really useful?

Being new to both Vegas and DVD architect, I am still learning both apps. I started with Vegas, and I can say I am pretty comfortable with it now. I recently turned my attention to Architect, and must say that unless I am not digging deep enough into the guts of this app, I am beginning to want to revert back to Ulead DVD MovieFactory 6 for making the menus.

I haven't been able to come close to making menus with nice transitions in Architect, but DMF6 lets me do all sorts of things like menu transitions after buttons are clicked, menu pans, menus overlays etc. I know Architect can allow you to chose a file to play for the transition, (button action, end action etc) but what about the buttons themselves? Whether they are thumbnail, text or both, DMF6 includes said buttons during the transition or pan, and makes it look more professional IMO. So far in Architect, all I have been able to do, is have the menu simply display on the screen, without any fade in or special effects, and then disappear just as fast upon clicking a button. Am I missing features of Architect that someone can point me to?
Jason Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 06:17 PM   #2
Trustee

bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
So far in Architect, all I have been able to do, is have the menu simply display on the screen, without any fade in or special effects, and then disappear just as fast upon clicking a button. Am I missing features of Architect that someone can point me to?
I have to agree that while it may be powerful in control, it completely lacks in effects. But I suppose the philosophy is more of a "you make the art we just control how the user sees it". That seems to mean that DVDA won't be creating any of the fancy effects, but it will control exactly how the user interacts with those effects you created.

Jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 06:47 PM   #3
New Boot

Half of the DVD's I create with DVDA don't work with many players.

I use Vegas to edit and create an .avi, and then I use Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 to create the DVD ... it is loaded with templates and makes adding scene markers a snap. And it has never failed to play on any DVD player I've tried with it. Also, the volume is always low with DVDA but booms out with Adobe....

Bill
Bill Westbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I guess I will stick with Ulead DMF6 for now until I can find something else. I guess I can try Elements 3.0 if they have a trial. I just find Adobe so much more expensive than the rest
Old June 23rd, 2007, 07:07 AM   #5
Regular Crew

DVD Architect 4.x gives you the power/tools to do some "Advanced" SD DVD Authoring (comparing to MovieFactory 6). MF6 is wizard/template driven, but it can make some nice looking menus with motion and fades automatically. In DVDA, to get the same motion you have to properly prepare your menu assets (so it can take longer than the builtin templates offered by MF6).

In terms of SD DVD Authoring, DVDA4 gives you extra features such as:
-full menu setup for control/navigation
-multiple audio tracks (switchable during playback)
-multiple subtitles (MF6 offers one subtitle)
-multiple angles
-buttons over video
-basic scripting
-UOPS settings
-chapter playlists
-title playlists
-disc mastering options
-and there are more...

Of course, MF6 Plus does offer "basic" HD-DVD Authoring and direct-to-disc blu-ray writing. So if you are after HD, then MF6Plus gives you some options to do that (in fact, Ulead has had basic HD-DVD Authoring for over a year now -- I don't think DVDA will ever have HD-DVD functionality, but you never know...)

Regards,
George
George Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 01:11 AM   #6
Old Boot

You can set the Thumbnail's Alpha channel on a KeyFramable timeline from 0 to 1.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...