Audio levels in rendered AVI file at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 21st, 2007, 09:47 PM   #1
New Boot

Audio levels in rendered AVI file

Hi all,

Long time reader/lurker, this is my first post at this forum, so pls be gentle!

I have 3 separate .veg files which I have rendered out of Vegas 6 as DV PAL Widescreen AVI files. Each project has a couple of dialogue tracks and a music track, which I have carefully adjusted using volume envelopes and track-level EQ and a compressor to keep the audio levels somewhere in between -20db and -6dB.

I then brought the 3 AVI files into a master .veg project, added markers (for chapters) and was about to render to an MPEG2 file. But during the preview, I notice that the audio peaks up to almost 0dB. It's as if the audio in the AVI file has somehow been normalised (but when I look in the event properties, the Normalize checkbox is un-checked).

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?
James Benstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:19 AM   #2
New Boot

Nearly 100 views and no responses! Can anyone offer some help to this problem?
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:06 PM   #3

it would appear that you've maximized the audio at some point in the processing chain.
Why render the 3 separate avi files vs bringing in the project veg files as nested veg files?
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:50 PM   #4
New Boot

Hi Spot,

I didn't nest the three .veg files because I didn't expect any difference in the audio level after rendering each project to AVI. I assumed that the AVI file would retain the same audio level when I brought it in to my master .veg file.

I will look at nesting the projects and see if there's a difference. Still perplexed as to why the level has gone up; is there a setting for this in the Vegas preferences that I might have accidentally enabled?
Old June 27th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #5

You may have set compression too hot, you may have shifted your master volume, you may have inserted Wave Hammer...or maybe you've raised frequency levels in the EQ?
There are a *lot* of parameters that could/will raise audio levels on render.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...