DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Sony Vegas 7.0 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/97524-sony-vegas-7-0-a.html)

Terry Lee June 25th, 2007 08:19 PM

Sony Vegas 7.0

Hello!

I've been advised that probably the best editing software for editing DV from a Canon XH A1 is buy useing Sony Vegas 7.0. Weather or not this is true I do not know since I am absolutely new to making films.

I am looking for Sony Vegas 7.0 with Sound forge, Sony noise reduction and DVD architect. Can someone give me a link to this kit? I looked on B&H but was unsure if their selection had everything in I list in it.

Thanks,
Terry.

Glenn Chan June 25th, 2007 08:34 PM

Try
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ware_with.html
?

Also, videoguys probably has a better deal on the bundle.
And I think they have a coupon code for dvinfo
http://www.videoguys.com/vegasvideo.html
EDIT: Hmm... maybe not? see http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=82198

Both retailers sponsor this site.

2- It may or may not be cheaper to buy Vegas 6 and then the upgrade to 7. Not sure.

Terry Lee June 25th, 2007 09:03 PM

Hey Glenn thanks for the links. Don't you actually do the training videos for VASST?

I am definately going to need a training video. The only video editor i've ever worked with is the one that comes stock with windows XP. If that says anything at all. I am anticipating that Sony Vegas will be as equally easy to use but I know that it is going to be waay complicated since it needs its own training videos.

The VideoGuys link has a good offer - Sony Vegas 7+DVD, SoundForge 8 &
VASST Absolute Vegas Training DVDs vol. 1-3 $435.00

It comes with Vegas/Soundforge and the training DVDs. Unfortunately I've been unable to find something that has Sony Noise Reduction and DVD architect. I'm not even sure what those two things are but I was told that if I were to get a editing suit, that should be with it.

Glenn Chan June 25th, 2007 09:40 PM

1- I am on the fourth training DVD of the VASST absolute training series for Vegas. (It's not in the Videoguys bundle. You can get it from VASST, and I think the coupon code 'dvinfo' works.)

1b- Vegas itself isn't particularly hard to use. I can tell you that the DVD I am in goes into Vegas features that aren't obvious (e.g. pre/post toggle) and in using Vegas in ways that aren't obvious. You could go through the manual (it's actually pretty good) and learn all the settings and buttons for every feature. But it doesn't help you put the features together... e.g. that you can combine masking with Levels to 're-light' a scene. You can see an excerpt of the DVD on the vasst.com site.

2- The Videoguys bundle does look like it comes with DVD Architect. The Sony NR plug-in should come bundled with Sound Forge, which looks like it's part of that bundle.

Hope that helps.

Jon McGuffin June 25th, 2007 10:07 PM

Yes, the "+DVD" part you are looking at is actually the DVD Architect software and the Noise Reduction is included in SoundForge. Just know that particular bundle includes SoundForge 8 and SoundForge 9 has been released.

I was new to Vegas about 6 months ago and though it had been pretty darn frustrating getting it going, I'm now a VERY happy user and feel that whatever paid is associated with learning it, it's all worth it.

I purchased the Vegas training video's from VASST as well as a few books.

I would definately go with Vegas if I were you as the $500 for everything is hard to resist.

Jon

Terry Lee June 26th, 2007 11:25 AM

Thanks alot.

One more question though - I see that there are 7 training videos. But the package on VideoGuys only comes with the first 3. Do you think its necessary to look for all 7 or are the first 3 good enough until I start editing more complex films?

-Terry lee

Mike Kujbida June 26th, 2007 12:02 PM

While I'm sure the first 3 are enough to get you started, I'd seriously consider buying #4 (Color Correction in Sony Vegas) as well.
I've been a Vegas user since version 1 and was amazed at what I didn't know about this topic :-)
I find that I'm using a lot of the tools discusssed in this DVD on a almost daily basis and it helped to demystify things for me. Thanks Glenn and DSE!!

Remember, if you run into any problems, just ask for help.

Finally, HD For Indies - 10 THINGS NOT TO DO is an interesting read for newbie film-makers.

Jon McGuffin June 26th, 2007 12:57 PM

Despite being a fan of VASST and Douglas Spotted Eagle who is a regular contributor here. If you are a beginner and think that buying the 3 or 4 Video's from VASST alone is going to train you to Vegas, unfortunately, I think you are setting yourself up for failure.

I know this first hand as I had put my father who has basic, good computer skills to the test when he purchased an Canon A1 HD and high end computer with Vegas 7 (on my recomendation). He studied all the video's and came away with a lot of questions.

What the video's do that is oh-so-typical of all training video's is that they assume you know information that the end user probably doesn't know. DSE throws around a LOT of terms that we take for granted but if you don't know what they mean, you get stuck, end up not knowing what the heck he is talking about, and then just get frustrated and turn it off.

It's a catch-22 for DSE, what is he supposed to do.. spell out every little detail? Perhaps... There really should be a total beginners intro to Vegas, which would include getting a beginner all the way up to speed on just simply moving video's around, cutting video's, creating a title on a title track, increasing volume, decreasing, etc.

I've found quite a few good tips in this video series and consider it an essential part to a beginners arsenal but I just want to temper the enthusiasm towards thinking these video's really will take you from beginner to intermediate in just three hours.

Jon

Edward Troxel June 26th, 2007 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon McGuffin
There really should be a total beginners intro to Vegas, which would include getting a beginner all the way up to speed on just simply moving video's around, cutting video's, creating a title on a title track, increasing volume, decreasing, etc.

That's what I've tried to do with my newsletters - especially the "Beginner's Corner" series that started in the 4th issue.

Jason Robinson June 26th, 2007 04:36 PM

Video Terms in General

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon McGuffin (Post 703152)
What the video's do that is oh-so-typical of all training video's is that they assume you know information that the end user probably doesn't know. DSE throws around a LOT of terms that we take for granted but if you don't know what they mean, you get stuck, end up not knowing what the heck he is talking about, and then just get frustrated and turn it off.

The basic editing terms are probably what is lacking. I learned them by trial and error and reading DVInfo.net CONSTANTLY.

I agree Edward above, check out his newsletters. And I also agree that a more basic "How To Edit" video would be valuable to the extreme beginner.

Terry Lee June 26th, 2007 05:18 PM

This is true. I have learned a lot from this forum. Unlike a training DVD, you can ask it questions, and you get professional responses. I am surprised that the same people who actually make some of this equipment are the actual people you are talking to. You can't get much better than that. Its like calling up a director and asking him/her how they did something in a movie. This forum is a luxury that most do not have in their field.

An extreme beginner training video would be great! Because some people are learning from scratch without hours of apprenticeship, class hours or internship experience. I am one of those extreme beginners. I am buying all of my equipment soon and have no idea what I’m going to do with it once I have it. I'm not even sure if i'm going to be able to turn the camera on let alone edit a video with captured footage. Obviously this is an exaggeration but I would like to see a video that simply tells you how to upload the captured footage from your minDV to your editing system. That I think is going to be the hardest part aside from learning what presets are best to use and how to begin using the camera manually. I know that there is a VASST training video for the XH A1 along with other cameras but I have read on this forum that they do not start low enough on the learning scale. Some have said that the XH A1 training videos (there are two apparently) tell you nothing you can't learn on your own.

I think that the makers of these videos assume that the buyers are probably low budget film makers or perhaps film students getting into new equipment. However, camera savy consumers are not the only people buying these cameras. There are also moms out there who bought these minDVs to film their daughter's play or their son's soccer game. A simple video on the basics like what all the different things on the dial are for and when to use them. That I think sometimes is a question on everyone's mind, armature or beginner.

I've gotten off the subject of Sony Vegas but you catch my drift. If I have any problems with the terms used on the videos I know where to turn, DVInfo.net!

-Terry

Jon McGuffin June 26th, 2007 05:43 PM

Hey Terry,

Yes, I think it's a good idea you turn here... Though not a beginner to computers by any stretch, I was a beginner to Video Editing and buy purchasing the DVD's, reading a few books on Vegas, and trial and error, I've come a long ways and am really happy with what I've learned.

Mike Kujbida June 26th, 2007 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon McGuffin (Post 703321)
... and trial and error...

That's probably the most important training method :-)
I always tell my students to sit down and start playing with a practice project. Odds are that you won't blow up the computer and Vegas can always be reset back to it's default settings.
Go through the manual, page by page, trying everything to see what it does.
Edward's newsletters are great and are something I'm constantly recommending.
And remember, if you have questions, feel free to ask for help. I've been using Vegas since version 1 and still ask questions.

Terry Lee June 26th, 2007 09:07 PM

Alright, well i'll go ahead and get the 3 VASST training videos and see how that goes.

One more question though. B&H offers a training video for Sony Vegas (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._for_Sony.html)

Know anything about that video?

Jon McGuffin June 26th, 2007 09:17 PM

Terry, I found this book to probably be the best overall resource for Vegas.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Video-...2913734&sr=8-3

I liked the way it stepped you through projects in a classroom like fashion. Reminds me of the Classroom in a Book series that Adobe has. That $80 video from B&H looks pretty good too.

If you're feeling wild and want to try something unique. If you purchased the $80 training from B&H, I'd be willing to send you my 3 VASST training video's to view in exchange for you sending me that video to preview. This way you can see them both for just the cost of the video from B&H. If you decide the VASST series is worthwhile (I am glad I bought it and you may want to as well) you can go ahead and order a copy for yourself. If not, you'll have saved yourself some $$.

Just a thought...