Vegas and Intesity HDMI card? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 5th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Vegas and Intesity HDMI card?

Can vegas capture and more importantly use the HDMI output to preview on an 1080p HDTV? Thanks for any help.

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.StephenEastwood.com
Stephen Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #2
Major Player

No. I just installed an Intensity Pro on my computer. It works with everything adobe, but not Vegas. I got word back from a Black Magic Design Engineer who said currently they currently don't support Vegas at all.
Theodore McNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 09:59 AM   #3

It will work, but, you need to use the BMD drivers from an earlier version.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #4
Major Player

The BMD Decklink cards works with the proper driver.

There is no support for the HDMI Intensity line at all.
Theodore McNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 11:42 PM   #5
Major Player

Any news on the Intensity Pro and Vegas? I have one being delivered on Tuesday and I sure would prefer to use Vegas as opposed to Premiere. I have Premiere v2.0, but I really don't want to use it.

John
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 02:14 AM   #6
Inner Circle

What about just using Cineform? or is your budget too low/you don't want to buy anymore stuff?
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #7
Trustee

Any news on Intensity Pro working as preview monitor for Vegas?
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #8
Major Player

I got this today from Blackmagic Design:

"Our engineers are working closely with Vegas engineers towards making it all work together. Unfortunately, I don't have any particular timeframe for how soon this will happen, but it's gonna happen."

In the meantime, check this out:

www.videoguys.com/vegaspro8.html

It looks like in addition to a massively improved titler, we get 32-bit (!) video processing, not just the 10 bit for which we were hoping. We also get HDV smart rendering and BluRay support. Version 8 appears to be a MAJOR upgrade. Kudos to the team in Madison.

John
Old August 29th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #9
Trustee

Good news.
I might fire off an email regarding the info we're hearing the the Studio card's component inputs. Maybe they would share their info on the Intensity Pro component input quality as a comparison to the Studio card.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Any news on this subject? I have just invested in a Full HDTV plasma, and hung it above my desktop. I'd like to use it as the full screen preview monitor in Vegas. Even though this has been discussed in many threads already, I am still not clear whether it's possible to achieve full fps (or at least much better than in the preview window) while playing the timeline in Best/Full preview config. If so, what hardware do I need to invest into? I mean, I'm NOT so much interested in a capturing device as I'm using file approach in acquisition (EX1), but in helping Vegas resample the timeline. Is it viable?

So, is it a good idea to invest in the Blackmagic Intensity card? As I understand it, in terms of fps, even these cards cannot play faster from Vegas timeline than the preview window. Just to make sure :)

Also, can it play back 1080/25p? In the specs, I can oly see 1080i...But even if I send my 1080p timeline as 1080i to the HDTV, it will de-interlace it; only...how much is it worth for previewing progressive?

Well, I guess i I still had the V1E with HDMI out, I'd buy the Intensity without hesitation. But with the file based EX1, is it still worth it? Any comments welcome!
Old September 9th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #11
Major Player

I've been considering a Blackmagic Intensity Pro to output Vegas to an HD monitor for preview. I currently use 2 20" Dells for editing and would like to use these for just timeline / trimmer / and all the rest leaving the HD monitor for preview from an Intensity

Now, this post and others ask the question as to whether Vegas works with Intensity but none of them have any definitive answers! The trail just stops!

I'm assuming that Blackmagic sorted out the Vegas compatibility issue and that's that.

However, can anyone here confirm this before I order it? Also, can anyone tell me whether my edit machine would suffer trying to output to 2 DVI monitors and a HDTV? Pentium Dual e6700 2.66. 2 g RAM GeForce 8800GTS

Any help appreciated!
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #12
Major Player

Yes, the Intensity now works with Vegas. However, Vegas does not take advantage of the hardware acceleration of the Intensity, so you won't see preview frame rates above what you would get by just using the "secondary monitor" function. It does work fairly well if you have a fast computer.
Old September 10th, 2008, 06:59 AM   #13
Major Player

Thanks John, that's good news.

However, what sort of hardware acceleration would PPro and FCP users see then that we Vegas users will not? Will I see any loss in performance as a result or will the preview frame rate be the same as the preview sat next to the timeline?
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #14
Major Player

In Vegas, the Intensity preview rate is the same as the preview window.
Old September 15th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Hi John,
I've been trying to get intensity to work AT ALL on my system. I'm currently running Win XP 64 and under Vegas 8.0c I get "Black Magic Decklink" (not BM intensity) come up under the preview devices menu. It has a number of options you can select from, NTSC/PAL etc - none of which seem to produce any output to the ASUS monitor I'm trying to preview on. Under Vegas 8.1 - there's no BMD preview device recognised at all. Interestingly enough, under after effects, it lists "BMD intensity" in the preview devices but I can ONLY get a preview to come out if the settings are put to NTSC output (I'm in PAL land) and this appears pixelated and low res - none of the HD modes will work at all. I have the latest BMD intensity 2 drivers for 64 bit installed. Any ideas? Seems like a total waste of $300 from where I stand.
Thanks,
David.
David Warrilow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...