Velocity envelope & time stretch at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 5th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Velocity envelope & time stretch

It seems that I am missing a check box.
I would like to use the velocity envelope to variably slow down, but keep the whole event (change the duration of the event).
What can I do ?
Thanks, Sassi.
Sassi Haham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 04:45 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Insert the envelope into the video event (right click on event>insert velocity envelope) the envelope will appear (a green line) with the FIRST point set at the beginning of the clip-to slow the whole clip down you can either pull the first point down to the desired speed or right click on the point and a menu will come up. I prefer to SET TO as it gives me more control. Set the speed in a % and other than stretching the clip you're done. Stretch the clip to the right (grab the tail of the clip) until you see a small notch or "v" shape in the top of the clip. That means you will have gone back to the beginning of the clip. Simply go back to the left until the notch disappears.

You can also hold down the control button and grab the end of the clip and pull to the right. This will slow the clip down and lengthen it but you really have no idea how slow it's playing other than the longer it is the slower it plays.

You can also open up the properties of the clip (right click>properties) and change the playback rate. You will still need to lengthen the clip as in the first method.
This will slow the video not the audio. There are other methods for that.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 10:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Small notch ?

Thanks Dan for your reply.
My question was about the first method you mentioned with velocity envelope.
I have no problem applying it but strange enough I don't get any small notch or "v" shape? any suggestion ?
BTW, that's Vegas 6 I am using.
Sassi
Sassi Haham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #4
Inner Circle

if you're not seeing the notch to indicate the the end of the clip then the clip is "too big". First cut the clip to where you want it then insert the envelope then stretch the clip unti you see the notch OR don't cut the clip, insert the envelope and pull the tail of the clip to the left until you get to the point of the clip you want it to end on. Of course after you insert the envelope you must then set the % of slow down that you want. This method allow a bit more freedom to adjust the speed of the clip by fractions (1 or 2 or 3% for example).
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...