How to make the trimmer show the offset instead of the time code? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 15th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #1
Trustee

How to make the trimmer show the offset instead of the time code?

I want to pass clips from Vegas to After Effects, and I need to know how far into the clip a particular segment I am interested in is. The problem is that After Effects understably sets the beginning of the clip to zero, while Vegas sets the beginning to whatever its time code is. This makes it difficult for me to find the point I am interested in.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #2
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre Safak View Post
I want to pass clips from Vegas to After Effects, and I need to know how far into the clip a particular segment I am interested in is. The problem is that After Effects understably sets the beginning of the clip to zero, while Vegas sets the beginning to whatever its time code is. This makes it difficult for me to find the point I am interested in.
How are you "passing"? I've used Fameserver - from Satish - to "pass" or frameserve from Vegas into another package. And all I do is highlight the area I want to Frameserve > Render As > "FrameServe" and this file, which IS virtual, can be used in other packages. I've done this for Particle Illusion and Boris Grafitti.

I know I'm NOT answering your direct question, but there might just be a simpler and easier solution using framerserver?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #3
Inner Circle

AAF is another option to get clips into AE. Example workflow would be to AAF files into AE, and then set the render in and out points in AE to the footage youre interested in. It is the b and n keys in AE.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #4
Trustee

Thanks, guys. I'm just opening the file in After Effects, or Photoshop (CS3 has great video support!) I want to go to the trimmer to find the mark in and mark out points either by frame number or by time. Either way, I need to set the beginning of the clip to zero, not to the offset of the clip in the tape.

I found a way but it's a bit cumbersome. You have to select the clip's properties, then go to Media>Timecode>Use custom timecode and reset it, then set it to Use timecode in file once again when you are finished. Perhaps I should come up with a macro for this?
Emre Safak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...