Getting REALLY PO'ed at Vegas preview - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 17th, 2007, 08:45 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
I'm still using Vegas version 6 with Cineform NEO.

normal disolve tranisitions are fine for preview.
When you start stacking or adding intense plugins it
will make the video stutter.
That's the problem...how are you supposed to time your production properly when you can't view it.

Last edited by Greg Boston; July 17th, 2007 at 10:00 AM. Reason: formatted the quote for readability
Jason Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #17
Trustee

You don't need to see the color correction etc. to time it, do you? Just bypass the FX (very easy if it was done at the track level) when you need to see the timing, and when you want to see the whole thing use the Building Dynamic RAM Preview feature.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #18
Inner Circle

The other thing to check for is that your hard drives aren't in PIO mode. They should be in DMA.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...e/IDE-DMA.mspx
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #19
Major Player

We are at version 7e so I do not think there are any critical bugs left.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck View Post
We are at version 7e so I do not think there are any critical bugs left.
It depends on your definition of critical.
Hang around the Sony Vegas forum for a few days and you'll find out that there are still a few bugs, mostly related to HDV editing :-(
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Chan View Post
The other thing to check for is that your hard drives aren't in PIO mode. They should be in DMA.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...e/IDE-DMA.mspx
I checked, and both HD's are in DMA mode. Is there a difference in performane between SATA and IDE?

I am using an IDE for file storage and the SATA for XP and Vegas
Old July 18th, 2007, 06:01 AM   #22
Trustee

The drive connection type should make little difference.

I looked through this thread and I can't find what specific version of Vegas that Jason is running. Is this HDV with Vegas 7 and has it been patched to at least rev. D? How big is the preview window? Something as simple as a large preview window can choke performance.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 04:25 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault View Post
The drive connection type should make little difference.

I looked through this thread and I can't find what specific version of Vegas that Jason is running. Is this HDV with Vegas 7 and has it been patched to at least rev. D? How big is the preview window? Something as simple as a large preview window can choke performance.
I have tried preview from darft-auto to best-full with the same choppy veiwing. I am running Vegas 7e and editing HDV from an A1u
Old July 22nd, 2007, 01:08 PM   #24
Major Player

Hi Jason. Someone asked if you were editing DV or HDV? I looked through here and I didn't see where you answered (if I missed it , please accept my apology). I'm not as technically savy as the other respondents, but if you are doing native HDV, I would strongly recommend using Cineform, or something (I think VASST has a similar product - Gear Shift?). I tried raw HDV and without any CC or effects it was doable, but add any effects or transitions, and it was too slow and stuttery to work with. I'm running Vegas 6 on an AMD X2 4200. HDV edits and plays very well using Cineform. Even with lots of CC, etc. playback is mostly real time. Transitions don't play nearly as smooth as they do in the final output, but the time length is very close and easy to judge. I even have the scopes on all the time. I never knew they caused a drop in performance until I read through this thread - goes to show you learn something new everyday :) Anyways, Good Luck - PK
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 08:12 PM   #25
Major Player

In Vegas 7, HDV performance via playback is actually typically better than using Cineform. I have used both on the Vegas timeline and native .m2t's actually are a little more smooth...

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 11:16 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon McGuffin View Post
In Vegas 7, HDV performance via playback is actually typically better than using Cineform. I have used both on the Vegas timeline and native .m2t's actually are a little more smooth...

Jon
Eh? Not on mine -- smoother/less strain when using Cineform files...
James Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 06:42 AM   #27
Trustee

I run an old P4-2Ghz 94yrs old now) with 2GB RAM and a Geforce with dual Dvi LCDs.. no problems with fades or effects.. (no motion blur please!).. I can preview nicely even on the secondary monitor.. even with a live video scope running for colour correction.

It is much better than in Vegas 6 when I couldnt even preview m2t properly. I had to use Gearshift then but now I can edit m2t on the fly. I find it strange why a superior setup like yours r having issues.. Oh I have to mention I render to a firewire connected external HDD.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 01:44 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Jason

Try increasing your audio buffering.
Options - Preferences - Audio Device

Playback Buffering (seconds) set to 1.00

tick "enable track buffering"
Track Buffering (seconds) set to 1.00

Sometimes the stuttering can be caused by the audio (sound card) trying to play catchup with the video. Increasing the buffering will, well, kind of load more audio each time, so it has to do it less often, opening more processing time for the video.

Worth a try

You may also need to hit the "Advanced" button. Midway down, change "Audio Buffers" to maybe 6. This setting depends on your audio card, the drivers it is using, etc., etc.
Robert Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 06:43 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ballew View Post
Jason

Try increasing your audio buffering.
Thanks, I'll try that...if it doesn't work, I can always use the RAM preview just for the transitions/fades etc.
Old July 25th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #30
Major Player

I'm completely with you in the agony of not seeing things real time.

A couple notes under Preferences/Preview Device:

You mentioned your second monitor runs off the video card. That would imply the preview device being set to Windows Secondary Display, not OHCI 1394/DV device.

Down at the bottom, it made a big difference for my setup (previewing over OHCI 1394 device) to DESELECT this: "Display frames in video preview window during playback."

Maybe it will smooth things out a bit.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...