Achieving true half-speed slow mo through HD-SD conversion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 22nd, 2007, 11:28 AM   #1

Achieving true half-speed slow mo through HD-SD conversion

I've been pondering, is it possible to shoot footage in 1080i, then deinterlace to have two separate 540-lined fields, which can then be converted to SD progressive frames, thus creating half-speed motion but in SD?

The only problem I foresee here is that 540 lines is NTSC and I need PAL...
Old July 22nd, 2007, 11:33 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Jonny and welcome to DVinfo! I guess it depends on your software, but suspect you'll get something very close to what you describe by slowing down your 1080i footage 50% in your NLE, then downconverting the results to standard definition.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 03:27 PM   #3

So it'll definitely render each field as one progressive frame?

I'll be using Sony Vegas no doubt, if I were ever to edit any HD (initially)... would it work in this?

Jonny
Old July 22nd, 2007, 03:40 PM   #4
Wrangler

Jonny: I've moved your thread to our Vegas forum since that's a better place to get an answer. I'm on the Mac myself...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 06:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
Jonny: I've moved your thread to our Vegas forum since that's a better place to get an answer. I'm on the Mac myself...
okay, thanks
Old July 24th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #6
Tourist

Super Smooth Slow Motion

A more general slow motion can be achieved using some functions in AVISynth, MVTools. This uses motion compensation techniques to create the frames required.

I have slowed down surfing and snowboarding by a factor of 10 with good results for SD video. I generally convert interlaced to progressive. I have yet to try it on footage from my new HD video camera, but AVISynth should will handle that.

Last edited by Douglas Spotted Eagle; July 24th, 2007 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Removed links to Doom Forums
Peter Vann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Vann View Post
A more general slow motion can be achieved using some functions in AVISynth, MVTools. This uses motion compensation techniques to create the frames required.

I have slowed down surfing and snowboarding by a factor of 10 with good results for SD video. I generally convert interlaced to progressive. I have yet to try it on footage from my new HD video camera, but AVISynth should will handle that.
So does AVISynth do that, take each field from an HD frame and convert them into individual SD progressive frames?
Old July 25th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Brady View Post
So does AVISynth do that, take each field from an HD frame and convert them into individual SD progressive frames?
You can create 60P in Vegas converting each field to a frame:

1) Download and install Mike Crash Smart Deinterlace filter: http://www.mikecrash.com/modules.php...p=getit&lid=51

(All his filters: http://www.mikecrash.com/modules.php...p=getit&lid=53 )

2) Create a 60P (59.940) project
- Field Order: None (progressive scan)
- Deinterlace method: None

3) Switches
- Smart Resample

4) Apply the Mike Crash Smart Deinterlace filter to the track

5) Render as 60P
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McManimie View Post
You can create 60P in Vegas converting each field to a frame:

1) Download and install Mike Crash Smart Deinterlace filter: http://www.mikecrash.com/modules.php...p=getit&lid=51

(All his filters: http://www.mikecrash.com/modules.php...p=getit&lid=53 )

2) Create a 60P (59.940) project
- Field Order: None (progressive scan)
- Deinterlace method: None

3) Switches
- Smart Resample

4) Apply the Mike Crash Smart Deinterlace filter to the track

5) Render as 60P
Thanks very much :D
Old July 27th, 2007, 06:16 AM   #10

Oh just another thought on that - you say 60P, so I'm assuming you're working in NTSC - I'm working with PAL, will there be any conflict in the fact that the resolution will be 540 lines as opposed to 576?
Old July 28th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #11
Major Player

Just create and render a "50.000 (Double Pal)" project (aka 50P) instead. I don't think you'll notice the difference in resolution. By the way, if you know ahead of time that your intended target is slow-motion 50P, you might try to shooting with a shutter speed like 1/100 rather than 1/50.
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 01:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McManimie View Post
Just create and render a "50.000 (Double Pal)" project (aka 50P) instead. I don't think you'll notice the difference in resolution. By the way, if you know ahead of time that your intended target is slow-motion 50P, you might try to shooting with a shutter speed like 1/100 rather than 1/50.
Ahh nice one, good point. Cheers for reminding me. :)
Old August 3rd, 2007, 05:52 AM   #13

ignore this

Last edited by Guest; August 3rd, 2007 at 05:52 AM. Reason: delete
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:41 AM   #14

ignore this too

Last edited by Guest; August 3rd, 2007 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Sod's law, it works now

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...