HDV1080i 24p pulldown methods at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 22nd, 2007, 10:08 PM   #1
Inner Circle

HDV1080i 24p pulldown methods

I was successfully able to create a 2:3 pulldown 24p HDV1080i file in Vegas 7 by using the following method...

1. Edit in the HDV1080i24p preset
2. in "Render As", choose the HDV1080i60 preset.
3. Click "Custom"
4. In the video tab, change the framerate to "23.976 + 2:3 pulldown"
5. Render (but do not use the just rendered file to print to tape, it needs to be changed to 60i to be printed.)
6. Open up the rendered file and import into an HDV1080i60 project
7. Right click on the clip and choose properties
8. *very important* choose "disable resample".
9. Render in HDV1080i60.

I've tested this and the generation loss is very minimal and it is printable to tape. Unless there is a simpler way, this is one of my ways to produce a true 24p HDV file.

You're welcome to share your ways of reaching this goal and general discussion about this matter.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Acquisition and Delivery

Hey Jack,
that actually looks doable. I've seen some really convoluted processes elsewhere.

A couple questions:
-When you say 'the generation loss was minimal' how did you arrive at that conclusion?
-how do you view the final 24p footage? Printed to tape and replayed via an HV20 or other 24p capable camcorder? Do you need a monitor/TV set that supports 2:3 pulldown?
Old August 2nd, 2007, 12:20 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I've noticed that it somehow uses the same technique as "Native HDV" editing to process the 24p file with the pulldown flags and turns the flags into fields.

I previewed the final file on my HC7 by using manual deck control (not recording to tape, but you still need a tape in the camera.) and it played fine... no errors at all.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...