Is this the end of the PDX-10? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old August 12th, 2005, 07:38 PM   #1
Wrangler

Is this the end of the PDX-10?

Was just looking at the B&H website and I see that the NTSC PDX-10 is out of stock. This also includes all their various bundles. They are still listing the PAL version, but at $2,550 without a rebate, that's sure no bargain....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 01:10 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Yes , this is what you can read at Sonybiz.net

" DSR-PDX10P :This model is discontinued and replaced by HVR-A1E"

Very sad day :-(

Cheers

HANS
Hans Ledel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 01:30 AM   #3
Major Player

Dangit! I was hoping to buy a second PDX10 in a few months. Shoot, looks like I'll have to settle for a used one when the time comes. Ugh.

For my needs (at least for the next 2-to-3 years, anyways) I'd be better served with two PDX10s than one A1.

Crap.
Duane Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 01:23 PM   #4
Major Player

Duane i have a almost new PDX10 that i ran about 4 tapes thru that i may be selling in the near future. I will keep you in mind.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 01:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

SHORT VERSION:

THE JURY IS OUT....

I'll find out more on Monday....

But...to the best of my knowledge, the PDX-10 is probably NOT discontinued.
http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...sp=11&id=65263

But the PDX-10P (the PAL VERSION) is discontinued.
(As noted...check Sonybiz.net

On Friday, I spoke with B&H about the PDX-10...and they sounded pretty confident that the PDX-10 would be arriving...maybe next week...probably by end of next month.
Though...they added nothing is certain.

So...to clairfy...just called SONY (1 800-222-SONY) and the first representative ASSURED me the PDX10 is NOT discontinued. She referred me to the www.sony.com/professional site. (And she said she couldn't find anything about the PAL version.)

Link provided above...

But, then, I had another question about the PDX-10 and called back SONY. The NEXT representative said he couldn't be certain of its status and gave me two numbers for SONY professional...which are of course are not open on weekends.

800 883 6817 866-766-9272

Will keep everyone posted...after I call Monday.
Sandra Warshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 02:16 PM   #6
Wrangler

Interesting. Only thing is, that bssc.sel.sony site always seems very slow to be updated, so I wouldn't base my conclusions on that.
Old August 13th, 2005, 07:47 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Stahley
Duane i have a almost new PDX10 that i ran about 4 tapes thru that i may be selling in the near future. I will keep you in mind.
Matt, if the timing is right I'd certainly be interested. I wasn't planning on buying another one for another 4 or 5 months...but when you do decide to put it up for sale, please let me know. And if it's too soon for me, I'm sure someone will want it!

It's so sad...I just spent all day shooting with my PDX10 (the Spiderbrace I ordered showed up today, so I had to go play!) and I kept thinking what a shame it is that this wonderful cam (may) be at the end of it's production life.
Old August 13th, 2005, 08:14 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
bssc.sel.sony site always seems very slow to be updated, so I wouldn't base my conclusions on that.
Good to know. I try not to base conclusions on any one source or even two. So, I'm offically downgrading my perhaps overly optimistic assessment. See below.
Old August 13th, 2005, 08:23 PM   #9
Regular Crew

To the best of my knowledge, the PDX-10 is possibly/maybe NOT discontinued.

Hopefully, a call to Sony Professionals on Monday will answer our questions.

PS. I ended up with two entries because I goofed.
Old August 14th, 2005, 12:10 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Smith
Matt, if the timing is right I'd certainly be interested. I wasn't planning on buying another one for another 4 or 5 months...but when you do decide to put it up for sale, please let me know. And if it's too soon for me, I'm sure someone will want it!

It's so sad...I just spent all day shooting with my PDX10 (the Spiderbrace I ordered showed up today, so I had to go play!) and I kept thinking what a shame it is that this wonderful cam (may) be at the end of it's production life.
hey duane that timing may be perfect and the cam may see little use until then as well. i recently purchased a DVX100a and honestly am quite addicted to it so the pdx took the back seat for now. hows that spider brace? i was checking those out. cant beat the price.
Old August 14th, 2005, 12:42 AM   #11
Major Player

Oooo....a DVX100a, eh? Yeah, I'd probably have trouble picking up my PDX10 if I had one off those laying around as well. ;-) But hey, for what I need, the DVX would be overkill (buy it does make me drool alittle bit--ha ha!)

The SpiderBrace is great; ultra light weight, and MUCH sturdier than I expected it to be. I think it'll fill my run-and-gun action sports event coverage needs quite well. Of course now that I've played with it, I want a lens controller as well. It's an uphill battle trying to keep up with all the things I want to buy.

:-)
Old August 14th, 2005, 03:01 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Smith
Oooo....a DVX100a, eh? Yeah, I'd probably have trouble picking up my PDX10 if I had one off those laying around as well. ;-) But hey, for what I need, the DVX would be overkill (buy it does make me drool alittle bit--ha ha!)
yeah well i gave up my trusty VX2k for it but honestly i couldnt be more happy :). the spiderbrace sounds like its good bang for the buck!
Old August 14th, 2005, 07:47 AM   #13
Wrangler

That sonybiz site is one of those annoying frame based websites which is difficult to link to. But see if the following works. Like Hans says, the website says the PDX-10 has been replaced by the HVR-A1:

http://www.sonybiz.net/cgi-bin/bvisa...m%20camcorders
Old August 14th, 2005, 02:38 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Thanks. I see your point. I was aware of that reference...but it took some time to sink in.

But...FINALLY...harsh logic did overtake wishful thinking....

And I asked myself,

"And why exactly would SONY discontinue
the PDX-10P (as indicated on the sonybiz.net site) ...
but not the PDX-10 (as indicated on the http://bssc.sel.sony.com site?"

No explanation that I know...
other than the bssc.sel.sony site...as you said...tends to be slow to provide updated information.

So...I am left no choice but to downgrade my assessment to CODE BLUE (my mood).

To the best of my knowledge, the PDX-10 is in all likelihood discontinued.

But I will follow up to get the official word on Monday.
(I know I'm clinging onto a sliver of false hope...for one more day.) Kind of like the classic stages of loss/mourning...I suspect.
Old August 14th, 2005, 02:41 PM   #15
Wrangler

I imagine that there are still PDX-10 to be had from somewhere, but I'm assuming your thought is to exchange the HC-1000 so it would have to come from B&H? In that case I'd be guided by what they told you. There may still be PDX-10's "in the pipeline" that they can obtain.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion