Is this the end of the PDX-10? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old September 1st, 2005, 02:10 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
[video cameras are] assembled on a table by a group of six or eight or nine technicians, and they build them in batches at a time.
That's fascinating, Chris! I'd like to hear more professional camera manufacturing techniques if you could point me in the direction of a resource (if such an esoteric publication exists...)

Brian
Brian Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 05:26 PM   #32
Regular Crew

PDX10 in stock at B&H

They raised the price $200. Supply in demand...

Mike
Michael DAmbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 06:32 PM   #33
Wrangler

How about that! Oh well, I guess if you want one you'd better for it since I believe the rebate ends on Sept 30. It must be "Sony Day" there - I see the PD-170 is also back in stock, and at its old price....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 06:40 PM   #34
Wrangler

Revisiting this old thread....

Looks like the end has finally arrived, although the PDX-10 did not die easily! Looking at Sony's Pro website, I don't see the PDX-10 in their lineup anymore :-( As recently as a few weeks ago it appeared here:

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...=11&s=1&cpos=1

B&H is still selling them for $1,700 however:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

The PDX-10 was introduced at NAB 4 years ago:

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...ppr4-7-02i.pdf

Quote:
LAS VEGAS (NAB, Booth #18207), April 7, 2002

Compact, Yet Sophisticated Camcorder
Sony's new DSR-PDX10 DVCAM camcorder combines a compact design with sophisticated features such as
web transfer of still images, as well as streaming of live video and VTR playback through an integrated USB
port when connected to a computer.

Weighing slightly less than three pounds fully equipped, the camcorder integrates a 1/4.7 inch 3-CCD
(the smallest HAD CCD ever offered in the DVCAM line), offers superb picture quality (530 lines of horizontal
resolution and 12X optical zoom), both DVCAM and DV format recording capability and an integrated
Memory Stick® recording media slot. The DSR-PDX10 also incorporates the ability to edit and record up to 85
minutes of MPEG-based video on 128MB Memory Stick media. The camcorder also features a Sony i.LINK®
IEEE 1394 digital video interface, as well as composite and S-video analog video I/Os.

The DSR-PDX10 camcorder is expected to be available this summer for a suggested list price of $2,900.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #35
Regular Crew

PDX10 ....officially declared "discontinued" on their site

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...sp=11&id=65263

DSRPDX10
DVCAM Compact Digital Camcorder

"DISCONTINUED WITH no direct replacement. The HVR-A1U C-MOS 1080i HDV camcorder is from the same form factor as the DSR-PDX10 and
records DV, DVCAM™, & HDV™ formats. It is a perfect step up from the DSR-PDX10. Please refer to bulletin # 05-0391 for more information on the HVR-A1U. The DSR-PDX10 provides high quality acquisition in the DVCAM component digital format, allowing up to forty minutes recording on one tape Mini DVCAM tape or 60 minutes in the DV mode...."

ETC.
Sandra Warshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #36
Major Player

little slow in here, so I'll ramble!

I still have mine and it is my primary cam. I spent a lot of time earlier this year trying to decide weather or not to take the hd plunge, but at my current skill level it would not make much sense.

I'm going to shoot with it for at least another year, I think- possibly two, any money I get these days goes in front of the cam for the most part. We (my "crew" and I) are all trying to better our skills, and really the pdx is completely adeqaute for the level we're at- and, really, I'm looking at highly compressed web delivery as my venue right now, and i'm not sure HD would even make sense for that, at all. I'm not sure about much, if'n you hadn't noticed.

I guess that's the lesson I've learned through all this format chaos- the cam matters, the sound matters, but you can do a lot with a little, and, although there are some advantages to having a cam that is a bit beyond your skill level, it is easy to fall into a trap where all you do is stare at the buttons and try to figure out which one to push and/or how to push it...

Furthermore, although, i do feel a bit of envy for Boyd and the others who have moved on to HD, I revel in the thought that there is a good chance that by waiting I'll get a better camera for less money.

But I'm not sure about that either. :/
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 02:52 PM   #37
Wrangler

Hey man, you need to work on your self confidence a little ;-)

I think the PDX-10 is capable of some really nice images and am still very happy with all the hours I shot with it. I like the manual controls and image tweaks on the Z1, but the bulk of my shooting gets downsampled to SD for DVD anyway.

So I think you present a very good case for sticking with your current gear and putting the money somewhere else for the time being.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion