DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 2nd, 2006, 09:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Final Cut Pro troubles

I have Mac G5 and Final Cu Pro 5 (FCP). I edited a project of 60 minutes and I'm trying to transfer to Quick Time Movie (QTM)...
My project is in an external hard drive; the external hard drive has 45.58 GB available.
The FCP is on the internal hard drive.
The G5 came with:
512 MB memory
I have just install 1 GB of extra memory.
Bus Speed is: 600MHz.

1)When I open the system profile I don't see the extra memory listed.
Do I have to do any kind of configuration or will the Mac system recognize the extra memory availability?

2) When I try to transfer the sequence from FCP to QTM it comes up as "general error" it does not transfer the sequence from FCP to QTM.... Why???? Please help me I need to finish this project as soon as possible and I don't know what to do about this.... I'm so glad I found this place because I'm so dead in the water....Hellllllllllllllllp!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks.
Hugs and love

Janete
Janete Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 10:04 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Janete and welcome to DVinfo. Please don't post the same question in two places; I have merged both threads here.

1. Nothing special needs to be done to recognize the memory. I would try to confirm that you have the correct type of RAM for the computer because that's most likely the problem (or else defective memory). Can you return it? If there's an Apple Store nearby they can sell you memory. It will cost more, but if you're on a tight deadline it might be money well spent.

2. Never saw that error, but it may very well be the result of not having enough memory. 512MB is definitely too little to edit video.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 11:17 PM   #3
Major Player

HI Janete, you don't need to do anything for your mac to recognize the extra memory, so I'm not sure why it dosent. Try trashing your FCP Preferences, go to larryjordan.biz and search his site there are some good articles on troubleshooting your FCP system. Did you try exporting your sequence to your internal or external drive? Are you trying to export with Quicktime conversion or just to a quicktime movie? Let us know as many details as possible to try and pinpoint the problem.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 11:30 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Janete...

When exporting, make sure the file name isn't similar to any file that already exists. Also, avoid any punctuation marks in the filename especially periods, colons, slashes.

Be sure you're saving the file to the drive that is large enough to take the file. Assuming you're working in the DV codec, a one-hour project should take up about 12 gigabytes. Double check to make sure you have selected the right codec. Some codecs will create really large files and could become a problem.

I don't think RAM would be the source of your problem although there is something wrong there as it's not showing up in your system profile. However, keep in mind that you need to install RAM in matched pairs. So if you've added only one module that might be the reason you're not seeing it. There might also be something wrong with the module itself.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 11:40 PM   #5
New Boot

hi well i work at the apple store and we get that a lot you bought the wrong one it sounds like.
Matt Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 05:31 AM   #6
Regular Crew

all due respect, boyd, but i've edited hours of video on a g5 with 512megs. didn't run a bunch of other software at the same time or do heavy effects on it, but i was able to do a lot of cutting.

janete-
how are you trying to "transfer" to quick time movie? are you choosing file -> export -> quicktime movie? try export -> using quicktime conversion, and then choose "current settings." this is assuming you want to make a large (13 GB if dv) qt movie. what are you planning on doing with this movie? for anything other than the huge 13gig dv codec qt, you should use compressor to transcode the movie.
Nate Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 10:50 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Final cut Pro amateur.

Hi guys thanks for your advise. I will check all the possibilities and answer later to all.

It's soooooooooooooo!!!!!! great to have people like you.... I will post later after I have done alll the homework to solve this problem.

I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! amateur when it comes to FMC.... I'm a new filmmaker. I've been doing this for 1yr. So, you got the picture. I did a summer course in NY Film academy(2004) my first contact ever with filmmakers, sets, scripts etc....

I'm here to stay, and you will going to hear a lot from me.....
English is my second language so I'm still learning. If I write something that hurts your eyes please let me know. Positive criticism is good for improvement and learning.

Hugs
Love
Janete
Old February 3rd, 2006, 11:10 AM   #8
Wrangler

Janette: glad to have you around and will look forward to hearing what you're up to. Hope you get your machine running smoothly soon. And your English is perfect, so no worries there!

Nate: OK, your point is taken. Hower 512MB is the minimum RAM required by FCP's specs to edit DV, but 1GB is the minimum for HDV and they recommend 2GB. I used to run FCP3 on my powerbook G4 with 512MB RAM and it worked, but as soon as I wanted to open another application things would slow to a crawl. While out of the country last summer I edited a lot of video on my 1ghz G4 Powerbook with 1GB RAM and FCP 4.5. That worked pretty well and even let me keep photoshop open at the same time. However after a few hours of straight editing, things would begin to slow down.

You really want as much RAM as possible for applications like FCP. Do you need more RAM? Here's one way to find out. Open the "Activity Montior" program which you'll find in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder. Click on the "System Memory" button. The green pie wedge represents free memory. Now look at the "Page ins/outs" number which will be in the form XXXX/YYYY. The XXXX part should be much larger than the YYYY part. When the YYYY part approaches half the size of XXXX then performance will be significantly impacted.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 11:33 PM   #9
Regular Crew

fcm

Hello again

I went to Apple Store and checked the memory(matched pairs) good to go; installed again... yahoooo!!! System profile showing that I have 1.5gb.
*Checked system memory.
Free memory: 990.95
Pages ins/outs:26625/0????

After memory installed.
1) Tried to export sequence from external drive to desktop using quicktime move.... after 7% done the "general error" message pop up again.

2) Trying export using quicktime conversion.... Ready for this one???
estimated time? 16HOURS... I was like, what???? I guess the G5 is trying to punk me. Anyway, it is going like a 100yrs turtle but is getting there....

3) I have a G4 with Photosho/Illustrator. In my G5, I have FCP and DVD Studio (DVD ST)......
Q. Should I transfer the DVD ST to G4 and leave the G5 only for the FCP?
Any bright ideas????

Boyd, Matt, Nate S., Dean, Nate F.
Thank you guys soo much for such needed help. You guys are the best....

Hugs

Love

Janete
Old February 5th, 2006, 01:28 AM   #10
Major Player

Janete,

Do you have any still photos in the timeline or any other graphics created in Photoshop or Illustrator? If so, make sure they are all RGB and not CMYK. Many print people make the mistake when coming into video editing. CMYK images in FCP will give the message you mentioned.

By the way, welcome to the forum!! :)
Old February 5th, 2006, 09:29 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Fcp

Hi

Thanks for your help I got it done.....
I guess the problem was memory.

I exported to quicktime conversion; it did go slow but didn't take 16hrs to do it. G5 was just trying to punk me. I'm now in the process of burning the DVD. Yahooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

I'm so happy that this project is amost done....
It takes lots of skill to do a decent editing.
Guys, to all of you I just cannot thank you enough for your help.

Hugs
Love

Janete

Last edited by Janete Taylor; February 5th, 2006 at 12:53 PM.
Old May 13th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Mac G5

Hello everybody..

1) My Mac G5 drive is completely full how doI clean up my drive...

2) I have an external drive Lacie 500GB which I'm using for capture scratch. After I finish my projects I burn all the media in a dvd as a back up and delet from my Lacie drive (LacieD)...

*Problem: Eventhough I delet all the files from LacieD , which means I have o files it show that I have only 262.81 GB of memory...
Question: Do I have to reset LacieD in in order to see the memory available?
Old May 13th, 2006, 07:40 PM   #13
Major Player

I don't mean to insult your intelligence but did you drag the clips to the trash and then empty it?
Old May 14th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janete Taylor
Hello everybody..

1) My Mac G5 drive is completely full how doI clean up my drive...

2) I have an external drive Lacie 500GB which I'm using for capture scratch. After I finish my projects I burn all the media in a dvd as a back up and delet from my Lacie drive (LacieD)...

*Problem: Eventhough I delet all the files from LacieD , which means I have o files it show that I have only 262.81 GB of memory...
Question: Do I have to reset LacieD in in order to see the memory available?
Janete,

You'll want to go into Render Manager in FCP. There you will find an option to clean up all the render files you created during this project. If you did a lot of edits, there will be lots of render files. Render Manager will show you how much space those files are eating up. If you're finished with the project, you can safely delete the render files. Just don't delete the project file or your captured media as those files would be needed to re-open the project at a later date. Of course, it would need to re-render everything at that time also.

Also, keep in mind that your G5 is not trying to 'punk' you. It takes a lot of computing horsepower to render a large project and will take hours. In fact, on large projects it's easier to start it when you go to bed and let it render all night.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #15
Regular Crew

My trash is empty trust me... I have tried everything that I know before I came and posted the help...

I do clean my render files in FCP after I finish a project...G5 is being pretty good after I install the extra memory recomended by a few members...

Hi Greg

I got you. I will do that. Do you mean Media Manager?

Last edited by Janete Taylor; May 14th, 2006 at 07:05 PM.
Janete Taylor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite