A1 Eyecup - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 9th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #61
Major Player

Mine says " Eye cup (large) HDR-FX1" on the box, and it was $38 plus shipping and tax, which made it about $50. Part number was 2-179-414-01
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #62
Major Player

Anyone found a good price on this in the UK?
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 11:57 AM   #63
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Stevenson
Anyone found a good price on this in the UK?
Approved Sony dealers appear to be the only ones who stock this and all are asking the same price: £50 +VAT +P&P, IIRC. It would be cheaper to import from B&H in NYC!
Old February 12th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #64
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fry
Approved Sony dealers appear to be the only ones who stock this and all are asking the same price: £50 +VAT +P&P, IIRC. It would be cheaper to import from B&H in NYC!
Mark,

Try Visual Impact. I got mine from there £43.80 inclusive of VAT & delivery. £8.58 of that was next day delivery which I didn't know about until I got the invoice so would recommend asking them to send normal post which would make it even cheaper. I think if you dont ask they automatically send next day. Live & learn!

Gareth
Gareth Trezise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 01:10 PM   #65
Contributor

It's overpriced because it's a Sony part. However, it's worth it. I couldn't shoot exteriors without it.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #66
Major Player

Thanks Mark and Gareth. As usual we get stung almost double what the folks accross the pond pay. However i think i can just about live with 43 quid for next day delivery. This thing better be good!
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #67
Regular Crew

How do you get the old one off

OK...so I got my new A1 and everyone is right....the eyecup leaves a little to be desired. How do you get the thing off to put a new one on. Does the Sony one just go over the top of this one?
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #68
Trustee

Hi Philip. The Sony eyecup just fits over the top of the Canon one. No need to remove anything.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #69
Regular Crew

Thanks,

Thanks....that 'splains alot....like why the existing one doesn't come off. :-)
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #70
Trustee

I'm sure it will if you pull hard enough. Wouldn't recommend it though. :)

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 08:48 PM   #71
Contributor

Nope, no need to take the old one off. It provides a nice base for the Sony one and makes it fit perfectly.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 12:57 PM   #72
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Nayman View Post
Does the Sony cup help the Smeary look ofd the VF? Like, if your eye moves too far to the side, the image (or whites) smear a bit....
I am curious about the above as well. After using this camera outdoors on two occasions, there are two major problems with this eye cup:

1. It is too small and lets the sunlight in on the sides as already mentioned throughout this thread.

2. And perhaps most irritating is the ‘smeary’ look quoted above. If you move your eye even slightly off center (when looking through the eye cup), the edges smear or look out of focus. Not good.

This second problem is very problematic as I see it. I’m surprised nobody here has mentioned it (except for the person above).

Does the Sony eye cup help this problem? I can’t see how it would as it is only fitting over the existing one…

Last edited by James Binder; April 7th, 2007 at 02:31 PM.
James Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #73
Major Player

For me, I think Sony eye cup makes it a bit worse if anything. The eye is a tad further away, which makes the off center smearing worse.

The VF alone is just simply a poor design for a camera of this quality. Haven't a clue what Canon was thinking :-\

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #74
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
For me, I think Sony eye cup makes it a bit worse if anything. The eye is a tad further away, which makes the off center smearing worse.

The VF alone is just simply a poor design for a camera of this quality. Haven't a clue what Canon was thinking :-\

Bill
Thanks Bill – that’s what I was afraid of. When outdoors, this is a very big problem – particularly since the LCD is only marginally reliable at best (for critical focus/aperture). I don’t know about others, but when in question, I go to the eyepiece for accurate focus, aperture, etc..

I agree with Bill – I can’t figure out what Canon was thinking for a camera of this quality. Frustrating.
James Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #75
Tourist

Has Anyone used the i-cuff?

I am unhappy with the viewfinder on my new XH-A1 in bright light. There are lots of posts on the Sony Large Eye Cup, (Part Number 217941401) and one mention of the i-cuff product (http://www.i-cuff.com) but no real information on it. Does anyone have any experience with the i-cuff? Which of their 3 models would fit the XH-A1 best? How would it compare to the Sony unit?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Eric R. Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders