DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   A1 Eyecup (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/80777-a1-eyecup.html)

Alex Leith December 1st, 2006 03:46 PM

A1 Eyecup
Well the eyecup on the A1 is totally unprofessional and pretty rubbish...

But guess what I found?

The excellent eyecup from the Z1/FX1 fits over the Canon's eyecup like a glove (well good enough to work).

Now my FX1 actually belongs to someone else, who may not be terribly impressed at getting it back without an eyecup... So where can we find a supply of Sony Z1 eyecups?

Holly Rognan December 1st, 2006 03:51 PM

I would be very, very interested in this as well.

That was one of my intitial first concerns.

Chris Hurd December 1st, 2006 04:27 PM

Photograph please!

Alex Leith December 1st, 2006 06:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here we go. It's a bit dusty but you get the idea...

Holly Rognan December 1st, 2006 07:24 PM


Here is a link to the sony site, but I didn't want to sift through the whole thing. I really would like this to go over the stock one. If there are any other nice looking alternatives I would be interested as well (hoodman looks cheap).

Bill Pryor December 1st, 2006 09:06 PM

I want one too.

I made a $30 bet that this one would work, but I lost:


It's too small. No amount of stretching would make it fit.

If anybody can figure out how to order the Sony ones, I'll jump in line too. It's always been difficult to order a Sony part unless you're a dealer.

Holly Rognan December 1st, 2006 09:29 PM

Would this work
Would something like this if slighty modified? Does anyone know the size of the canon's viewfinder?


Bill Pryor December 1st, 2006 09:37 PM

I have a 20D still camera, and the viewfinder is a lot smaller than a video camera. I don't think any still camera eyepiece will work. There are chamois covers used mainly on 16mm and 35mm film cameras a lot, and some of them might fit. They're not the same as the nice big video camera eye cup, but probably better than what's there. I'm talking about these:

I used to use these on a CP16R years ago, and they provide a little padding. Lots of film cameras have crappy eye cups too. I'll order a package of these if I can figure out what size. Better than nothing until somebody figures out how to get a proper eye cup.

Jay Stebbins December 1st, 2006 10:15 PM

It is the Sony Large Eye Cup, Part Number 217941401

It seems to sell for $38

I searched "Sony 217941401" in Google without the quotation marks and it turnd up a few places that carry it as a replacement part. I got the part number out of an online parts list for the box of the Z1. Give me a broadband connection, Google and I know anything...

I have been looking for a better eyecup for my 30D, thanks Holly.

Alex Leith December 2nd, 2006 03:07 AM

Thanks Jay...

That's very helpful.

Rick Hensley December 16th, 2006 10:49 PM

never used this store before so cant vouch for them, but they have it

$38.40 plus shipping


Wade Hanchey December 16th, 2006 11:30 PM

I used mine today for the first time and was very pleased with it. If you are at all frustrated with the stock setup, get one. You will be glad you did.

Lou Bruno December 17th, 2006 09:07 AM

Same here. Used the large cup from SONY and it works perfectly.

Adrian Paul Spiteri December 17th, 2006 12:37 PM

Don't you think $38 is too expensive ?

Wade Hanchey December 17th, 2006 05:59 PM

Just look at it as a $4038 A1. But yes, I would shy away from telling someone how much I paid for a piece of rubber. They might think I'm crazy. Then again, I shy away from telling anyone how much I paid for the camera too.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:32 PM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2020 The Digital Video Information Network