DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   A1 Eyecup (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/80777-a1-eyecup.html)

Bill Pryor January 13th, 2007 10:32 AM

I thought I could live without it until my first exterior shoot in the bright sun. I had an iCuff on an old TRV900 a few years ago, and it works but is a bit of a pain. I don't really like it. The Sony one is worth the money, although it's overpriced.

There must be somebody on Canon's video camera design team who used to be in their still camera division and has never shot with a pro video camera, and he's the guy who came up with that dumb hard, worthless eyecup, or lack thereof. They could put a real one on and charge another 20 bucks and make money on it and everybody would be happy. Except then the camera would have to cost $4,024.00 (USD) and the marketing department would be screaming that all prices have to end in 99.99 in the U.S. or nobody will buy it. Like gasoline.

Stephen Sobel January 13th, 2007 06:37 PM

Does anyone have a link to a picture of the Sony eyecup?

Alex Leith January 13th, 2007 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Sobel
Does anyone have a link to a picture of the Sony eyecup?

You can see it on page 1 of this thread (attached to my camera!) :-)

Stephen Sobel January 13th, 2007 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Leith
You can see it on page 1 of this thread (attached to my camera!) :-)

duh.... I missed that. Thanks!

Bill Busby January 13th, 2007 06:52 PM

I received mine today. What a difference. Now I have to get in the habit of tilting the viewfinder up to fit in my bag though. Life is tough :)

Bill

Alex Leith January 13th, 2007 06:57 PM

I know what you mean, Bill. I had to move all the dividers in my back to bring the eyepiece away from the edge.

Man, the things we have to do for our art!

;-D

Bill Pryor January 13th, 2007 07:03 PM

One note of caution: A guy who bought the Sony eyecup emailed me thinking he had to take off the Canon hard eyecup and asking how I did it. DON'T TAKE OFF THE CANON EYECUP. The Sony one will stretch over the Canon one, and it makes a perfectly sized base for the new one.

Bill Busby January 13th, 2007 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
One note of caution: A guy who bought the Sony eyecup emailed me thinking he had to take off the Canon hard eyecup and asking how I did it. DON'T TAKE OFF THE CANON EYECUP. The Sony one will stretch over the Canon one, and it makes a perfectly sized base for the new one.

That goes to show the importance of reading all threads. That was mentioned before in a post, & maybe twice... but of course I'm not going to go look for the 2nd one :)

Bill

Larry Rodman January 13th, 2007 08:00 PM

Out of stock from Sony right now.

Bill Busby January 13th, 2007 08:09 PM

I bought mine from this place someone mentioned in an earlier post

http://store.nexttronics.com/217941401.html

38.40 + 6.95 shipping

Alex Leith January 14th, 2007 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Rodman
Out of stock from Sony right now.

Heh! Heh! It's all the Canon owners.

Sony are probably thinking, "Wow - so many people are having problems with their eye-cups all of a sudden"

Lou Bruno January 15th, 2007 12:09 PM

OR....... WOW!!!! We are getting more customers buying SONY.

Brent Graham January 15th, 2007 12:48 PM

Just ordered my eyecup! 45 and some change! After filming out in African sun for a month, I wish someone would find a sony parts supplier that also sold time machines - so I could go back and use this eyecup for all that daytime shooting!

Matthew Nayman January 15th, 2007 01:15 PM

Does the Sony cup help the Smeary look ofd the VF? Like, if your eye moves too far to the side, the image (or whites) smear a bit....

Chris Sinista January 18th, 2007 10:58 PM

group buy

too bad we cant get a group buy together and get a better deal on this eye cup.