DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   A1 Eyecup (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/80777-a1-eyecup.html)

Bill Pryor January 19th, 2007 08:37 PM

It's just a matter of time before some enterprising dude buys a few hundred of them wholesale from China or wherever and sells them for 20 bucks each.

Michael Bartolo January 19th, 2007 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Sinista
too bad we cant get a group buy together and get a better deal on this eye cup.

The attitude on the price of the eye piece is amazing. The Sony authorized parts dealer cost is $29.15. Assume that you are prepared to grant the dealer some cost in order taking, unpackaging from Sony, order fulfillment, delivery packaging, credit card processing costs, and post sale customer service plus a normal profit; just how much effort should any legitamate dealer spend on something like this that has a list price that can be bought directly from sony in the $38 range. Do you really think that some dealer is going to have his parts department take away from service and repair orpportunities to make virtually nothing to deal with a bunch of internet buyers that he will probably never see again? Get real. Good luck in finding a "group purchase" even if you had 200 orders.

Byron Huskey January 19th, 2007 09:20 PM

I think it's more that $38 dollars (regardless how much Sony charges an authorized dealer for it) is quite a lot for a shaped piece of rubber. We're all obviously willing to pay the price as a somewhat necessary evil, but sure, it would have been nice hypothetically to have all gone in and gotten, say, $5 off the price. Not really going to happen, but nice to dream about.

Josh Chesarek January 19th, 2007 10:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just noticed that my GL2 eye cup fits into the current XH-A1 Eye cup and when looking through it, it does not block anything, I am looking for a good way to attach it without adhesive but this might be a nice solution. My GL2 came with a small eye cup similar to what the A1 has as well as a larger one similar to the sony... Hmmm...

Anthony Leong January 20th, 2007 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron Huskey
I think it's more that $38 dollars (regardless how much Sony charges an authorized dealer for it) is quite a lot for a shaped piece of rubber. We're all obviously willing to pay the price as a somewhat necessary evil, but sure, it would have been nice hypothetically to have all gone in and gotten, say, $5 off the price. Not really going to happen, but nice to dream about.

I agree the Sony eyecup is expensive and it probably cost less than $1 to make and Sony is charging a lot of money for it. It cost me over $50 with tax and shipping.

Michael Bartolo January 20th, 2007 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony Leong
I agree the Sony eyecup is expensive and it probably cost less than $1 to make and Sony is charging a lot of money for it. It cost me over $50 with tax and shipping.

I agree that the Sony eye piece is expensive. But why take your frustrations out on the independent Sony parts repair dealer who is making nominal if any money on the eye piece just to accomodate a bunch of angry Canon customers. Sony is the company that is overcharging for the part, contact Sony directly and complain. There is nothing the parts counter at an indepependent Sony dealer can do about the huge markup from the factory to them. They just process orders at their normal markup. Perhaps the "group purchase" should be coordinated directly with Sony to get the suggested $5 discount!

Gareth Trezise January 20th, 2007 04:11 PM

Does anyone (UK based) know where to get chamois eye-cup covers for this Z1 large eye cup?

Ones I used on the XL cameras don't fit and some samples of others that I have been sent are even smaller.

Gareth

Bill Pryor January 20th, 2007 05:26 PM

B&H has the chamois eyecup covers.

Gareth Trezise January 21st, 2007 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
B&H has the chamois eyecup covers.

Thanks! Do they ship to UK then?

G

Alex Leith January 21st, 2007 05:04 PM

I think that any Sony dealer should carry them.

You could try Production Gear who are one of the site sponsors. If they don't carry them, I got mine from www.proav.co.uk.

Gareth Trezise January 22nd, 2007 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Leith
I think that any Sony dealer should carry them.

You could try Production Gear who are one of the site sponsors. If they don't carry them, I got mine from www.proav.co.uk.

Thanks Alex,

It was production Gear who sent me the samples. Too small. Enquired with Proav. They say they do not do the chamois covers for Large Z1 eye-cup!
Who did you deal with there Alex? How much for some of yours?

Gareth

Alex Leith January 22nd, 2007 10:33 AM

Doh! Sorry I only half read the message. Chamois... no. Mine is the regular sony eyecup...

Sorry to cause confusion.

Gareth Trezise January 22nd, 2007 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Leith
Doh! Sorry I only half read the message. Chamois... no. Mine is the regular sony eyecup...

Sorry to cause confusion.

No confusion. Mine is same as your photograph. Isn't that the eye-cup everyone is talking about. That's the one I have got.

Nick Weeks February 9th, 2007 05:56 PM

I bought the eyecup from the Sony parts site, took a while to get here, paid $50 shipped... probably the best accessory I've bought for the A1 so far.

I just feel bad telling everyone I paid $50 for a piece of rubber, but I think it's $50 well spent. Maybe the next cam from Canon will include one, because the factory Canon eyecup is crap.

I highly recommend this to anyone with an A1/G1, works wonderful outdoors

Richard Hunter February 9th, 2007 07:11 PM

I managed to get an FX1 eyecup for S$51 (around US$33) from Sony Singapore. A friend who is a local dealer advised me to get the FX1 eyecup rather than the Z1, because the Z1 part is "professional" and would cost more. I didn't manage to confirm this, but it is worth checking to see if the FX1 part is cheaper in your area.

And thanks to Alex Leith who I think tipped us off originally that the Sony eyecup fits the A1. It's really tough shooting without one on a sunny day in Singapore, you can hardly see anything on the LCD or EVF.

Richard