DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   A1 Eyecup (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/80777-a1-eyecup.html)

Nick Weeks February 9th, 2007 07:22 PM

Mine says " Eye cup (large) HDR-FX1" on the box, and it was $38 plus shipping and tax, which made it about $50. Part number was 2-179-414-01

Dom Stevenson February 10th, 2007 02:45 AM

Anyone found a good price on this in the UK?

Mark Fry February 12th, 2007 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dom Stevenson
Anyone found a good price on this in the UK?

Approved Sony dealers appear to be the only ones who stock this and all are asking the same price: £50 +VAT +P&P, IIRC. It would be cheaper to import from B&H in NYC!

Gareth Trezise February 12th, 2007 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Fry
Approved Sony dealers appear to be the only ones who stock this and all are asking the same price: £50 +VAT +P&P, IIRC. It would be cheaper to import from B&H in NYC!

Mark,

Try Visual Impact. I got mine from there £43.80 inclusive of VAT & delivery. £8.58 of that was next day delivery which I didn't know about until I got the invoice so would recommend asking them to send normal post which would make it even cheaper. I think if you dont ask they automatically send next day. Live & learn!

Gareth

Bill Pryor February 12th, 2007 01:10 PM

It's overpriced because it's a Sony part. However, it's worth it. I couldn't shoot exteriors without it.

Dom Stevenson February 12th, 2007 01:42 PM

Thanks Mark and Gareth. As usual we get stung almost double what the folks accross the pond pay. However i think i can just about live with 43 quid for next day delivery. This thing better be good!

Philip Hinkle February 14th, 2007 05:43 PM

How do you get the old one off

OK...so I got my new A1 and everyone is right....the eyecup leaves a little to be desired. How do you get the thing off to put a new one on. Does the Sony one just go over the top of this one?

Richard Hunter February 14th, 2007 06:15 PM

Hi Philip. The Sony eyecup just fits over the top of the Canon one. No need to remove anything.

Richard

Philip Hinkle February 14th, 2007 06:32 PM

Thanks,

Thanks....that 'splains alot....like why the existing one doesn't come off. :-)

Richard Hunter February 14th, 2007 07:14 PM

I'm sure it will if you pull hard enough. Wouldn't recommend it though. :)

Richard

Bill Pryor February 14th, 2007 08:48 PM

Nope, no need to take the old one off. It provides a nice base for the Sony one and makes it fit perfectly.

James Binder April 7th, 2007 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Nayman (Post 606911)
Does the Sony cup help the Smeary look ofd the VF? Like, if your eye moves too far to the side, the image (or whites) smear a bit....

I am curious about the above as well. After using this camera outdoors on two occasions, there are two major problems with this eye cup:

1. It is too small and lets the sunlight in on the sides as already mentioned throughout this thread.

2. And perhaps most irritating is the ‘smeary’ look quoted above. If you move your eye even slightly off center (when looking through the eye cup), the edges smear or look out of focus. Not good.

This second problem is very problematic as I see it. I’m surprised nobody here has mentioned it (except for the person above).

Does the Sony eye cup help this problem? I can’t see how it would as it is only fitting over the existing one…

Bill Busby April 7th, 2007 01:55 PM

For me, I think Sony eye cup makes it a bit worse if anything. The eye is a tad further away, which makes the off center smearing worse.

The VF alone is just simply a poor design for a camera of this quality. Haven't a clue what Canon was thinking :-\

Bill

James Binder April 7th, 2007 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Busby (Post 655835)
For me, I think Sony eye cup makes it a bit worse if anything. The eye is a tad further away, which makes the off center smearing worse.

The VF alone is just simply a poor design for a camera of this quality. Haven't a clue what Canon was thinking :-\

Bill

Thanks Bill – that’s what I was afraid of. When outdoors, this is a very big problem – particularly since the LCD is only marginally reliable at best (for critical focus/aperture). I don’t know about others, but when in question, I go to the eyepiece for accurate focus, aperture, etc..

I agree with Bill – I can’t figure out what Canon was thinking for a camera of this quality. Frustrating.

Eric R. Johnson April 9th, 2007 08:31 PM

Has Anyone used the i-cuff?

I am unhappy with the viewfinder on my new XH-A1 in bright light. There are lots of posts on the Sony Large Eye Cup, (Part Number 217941401) and one mention of the i-cuff product (http://www.i-cuff.com) but no real information on it. Does anyone have any experience with the i-cuff? Which of their 3 models would fit the XH-A1 best? How would it compare to the Sony unit?

Thanks for your thoughts!