Lumiere HD workflow - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 22nd, 2005, 09:53 AM   #91
New Boot

How about in a situation where you are doing a lot of after effects work? I hear the recompression to HDV is a killer. Would it then be better to use say the DVCPROHD codec for all of one's work or is staying HDV fine?
Augie Arredondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 10:06 AM   #92
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Graham
Hey Steve,
I don't supose you know when FCP will fully suport JVC hdv cameras in hdv25p mode? (i have the hd100e). Will it be a maintenance upgrade to FCP5 or will they bring it out in FCP6?

cheers Andy.
There's just been a maintenance release with no sign of support for the JVC or Canon. David Newman from Cineform said it's not a big deal to add this support so I have no idea why they haven't - perhaps when 6 is released next year?
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 10:14 PM   #93
Regular Crew

PLEASE HELP ME - Lumiere HD (moved to Lumiere forum)

Can someone please help me with this issue, it's VERY important right now:

I'm trying to edit HD100 footage in final cut pro, I'm using lumiere HD but it won't let me name the clips. More importantly, after encoding the "realtime timeline codec" with the DVCPRO HD 720p60 preset and importing the XML file into a quicktime sequence set to either 24 or 23.98 it forces me to render the footage... what is this BS? Isn't the concept of this program realtime editing? I'm so fed up, please someone help me.

This is what the sequence looks like:

The frame size is 1280 x 720 - HDTV 720p (16:9)
Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square

Editing Timebase 23.98

Compressor DVCPRO HD 720p60

When rendering, the audio is out of sync. Can someone please shed some light on this? I have a deadline fast approaching and I might lose my job if I don't get this to work.

All I want is to capture and edit GYHD100 footage in Final Cut Pro, I have lumiere HD, I followed their steps but they say nothing specifically on how to deal with the GYHD100 what do I do?
Bruce Meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 10:37 PM   #94
Trustee

Look below...
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 10:42 PM   #95
Wrangler

Welcome to dvinfo Bruce.

We actually have a whole forum dedicated to Lumiere HD.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=77

Lumiere HD has an issue with FCP5 and audio sync which requires a specific workflow (which admittedly I have not tested myself.)
You will require the latest beta (1.6b2) which you have probably already downloaded, and then attempt to follow these instructions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederic Haubrich
Here's a customized, temporary, workflow for our users who want to cut ProHD24p in FCP 5.0.

Most of these steps will be automated in future releases of Lumiere HD:

1. Capture with LHD
2. Demux audio and video in separate folders. (end up with 23.98 m2v and 48KHz aiff)
3. Open m2v in QT Pro
4. Open aiff in QT Pro
5. Select all aiff
6. Copy
7. Place play head at the beginning of m2v
8. Select all m2v
9. Add to selection and scale
10. File/Save as (Save as reference movie -- same name.mov) in a folder called 'digital_negative'
11. Open all digital negative movs and export to codec of choice in 23.98 (DV, 720 X 480, 23.98) to a folder called 'realtime_clips'
12. Open FCP, set easy setup to realtime_clips specs (DV, NTSC, 23.98)
13. Import all realtime_clips
14. input a reel for each clip in the browser
15. Edit with realtime

GOING ONLINE

1. Select the sequence/ Choose Media Manager
2. Media Manager settings:
Media: Create Offline
Set Sequence to Custom:
1280 X 720
PAS: Square
Anamorphic 'not checked'
Editing Timebase: 23.98
Timecode rate: Same...
Compressor: HDV 720p30
Audio: 48 KHz, 16 bit, default
3. Save project name: Online720p24
4. Go to 'Online720p24' tab in browser/double click on sequence (clips should be offline)
5. Select all clips in browser (above sequence), choose 'Reconnect Media'
6. Point to the 'digital_negative' clips (ignore Mismatch warning) and all your clips should reconnect

You now have a full HDV24 version of a timeline you edited in DV

We are doing our best to keep up with the latest formats and offer our customers working solutions, now. Expect frequent releases from Lumiere HD...

Thank you,

Frederic
Tim Dashwood
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 12:15 AM   #96
Regular Crew

You lost me here,

What does that mean?
Old January 3rd, 2006, 03:11 AM   #97
Regular Crew

Mercy Plea

Tim, could you please enlighten me as to what settings I specifically have to have in my timeline? I capture in lumiere, demultiplex, convert the things into m2vs, then I do the timeline codec, encode DVPRO HD 720p60 right, is this wrong? Wrong codec? Then it presents me with the next dialogue, checking for the

compression: DVCPRO HD 720p60
quality: best
Frame rate: 30

I change the frame rate from 30 to "current" there is option for 24 but not for 23.98

Then I hit ok and it creates an xml and the .mov

Then I go into my FCP 5 and I set the sequence to any of the following:

1. The frame size is 1280 x 720 - HDTV 720p (16:9)

Editing Timebase 23.98

2. The frame size is 1280 x 720 - HDTV 720p (16:9)

Editing Timebase 24

3. The frame size is 1280 x 720 - HDTV 720p (16:9)

Editing Timebase 23.98

Compressor Apple Intermediate Codec

4. The frame size is 1280 x 720 - HDTV 720p (16:9)

Editing Timebase 23.98

Compressor HDV 720p30

5. The frame size is 1280 x 720 - HDTV 720p (16:9)

Editing Timebase 24

Compressor HDV 720p30

NONE OF THESE OPTIONS WORK

I import the XML. When I drag the files brought over in the xml from lumiere, it requires me to render them out... Please tell me what I need to do in order to get this so that it can be edited in real time. With no rendering? This question wasn't answered in my last post. What settings specifically are needed for the sequence? Can't I just sync the audio tracks by hand if say I shot with a clapperboard?

When will this update be available for Final Cut Pro? I'm so sick and tireeeeeeddd of this... I'm sorry to sound so desperate, but I am, I'm in a pretty dire situation and if I don't get this to work I'm in serious trouble!!! please can someone please refer me to an intelligble guide on how to get footage from my HD100 onto the timeline in FCP to be edited in real time? I am willing to pay someone for usable information! i I need to get the goddamn thing to work, it's very important!!! I know people are using FCP and lumiere to edit HD100 footage, I'm pretty sure NATE WEAVER is using it to edit, perhaps he could shed some light on the subject.... He made that amazing music video, dirthouse and I'm pretty sure he's editing with FCP on a MAC, please help please I'm not a bright guy and I may lose my job if I don't meet a coming deadline. I can't afford this, please edify me, enlighten me as to how I edit in real time!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 3rd, 2006, 03:14 AM   #98
Regular Crew

Mercy Plea (moved to Lumiere forum)

Tim, could you please enlighten me as to what settings I specifically have to have in my timeline? I capture in lumiere, demultiplex, convert the things into m2vs, then I do the timeline codec, encode DVPRO HD 720p60 right, is this wrong? Wrong codec? Then it presents me with the next dialogue, checking for the

compression: DVCPRO HD 720p60
quality: best
Frame rate: 30

I change the frame rate from 30 to "current" there is option for 24 but not for 23.98

Then I hit ok and it creates an xml and the .mov

Then I go into my FCP 5 and I set the sequence to any of the following:

1. The frame size is 1280 x 720 - HDTV 720p (16:9)

Editing Timebase 23.98

2. The frame size is 1280 x 720 - HDTV 720p (16:9)

Editing Timebase 24

3. The frame size is 1280 x 720 - HDTV 720p (16:9)

Editing Timebase 23.98

Compressor Apple Intermediate Codec

4. The frame size is 1280 x 720 - HDTV 720p (16:9)

Editing Timebase 23.98

Compressor HDV 720p30

5. The frame size is 1280 x 720 - HDTV 720p (16:9)

Editing Timebase 24

Compressor HDV 720p30

NONE OF THESE OPTIONS WORK

I import the XML. When I drag the files brought over in the xml from lumiere, it requires me to render them out... Please tell me what I need to do in order to get this so that I don't have to render... so it can be edited in real time. With no rendering? This question wasn't answered in my last post. What settings specifically are needed for the sequence? Can't I just sync the audio tracks by hand if say I shot with a clapperboard?

When will this update be available for Final Cut Pro? I'm so sick and tireeeeeeddd of this... I'm sorry to sound so desperate, but I am, I'm in a pretty dire situation and if I don't get this to work I'm in serious trouble!!! please can someone please refer me to an intelligble guide on how to get footage from my HD100 onto the timeline in FCP to be edited in real time? I am willing to pay someone for usable information! i I need to get the goddamn thing to work, it's very important!!! I know people are using FCP and lumiere to edit HD100 footage, I'm pretty sure NATE WEAVER is using it to edit, perhaps he could shed some light on the subject.... He made that amazing music video, dirthouse and I'm pretty sure he's editing with FCP on a MAC, please help please I'm not a bright guy and I may lose my job if I don't meet a coming deadline. I can't afford this, please edify me, enlighten me as to how I edit in real time!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 3rd, 2006, 04:46 AM   #99
HDV Cinema

I'm in india and saw your post as its day here. I'm on a treo so can't give detailed help.

I would not use lumier.

if you want to work "double system" there is a detailed explanation at my site.

If you are still working tonight and there's no answer from tim, you can buy my ebook and download it as it has several methods.

good luck!
Old January 3rd, 2006, 05:02 AM   #100
Wrangler

Bruce, it's late and I'm not thinking clearly, but I can tell you my workflow had nothing to do with Lumiere.

Whenever I'm having the problem you're having, I open the media in question in Quicktime Player, do a "Get Info", and study the framerate, codec, etc very carefully.

One thing that could be wrong, but I don't know as I've never used media from Lumiere, is that your frame size MIGHT need to be 960x720 with a pixel aspect ratio of 16x9 HD. I'd load the sequence preset for 720p DVCPRO HD and then change the frame rate to 24 and see if that helps.

I'd also try changing sequence framerate to 59.94...Lumiere might be encoding the new media verbatim from the 59.94 MPEG stream.

Either way open those Lumiere files in QT Pro and tell us what it says.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 06:30 AM   #101
Major Player

Hey Nate,

What do you use to import your files to FCP and edit in 24p if you don't use Lumiere?

Currently I am using HDVXDV, but I am still learning the logistics.
Duke
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 06:35 AM   #102
Regular Crew

I Really Need Help (moved to Lumiere forum)

This is getting me ticked, when I go to STEP 9: add to selection and scale it totally screws up the audio, I get this strange tremelo effect, is this normal? The regular audio file doesen't have this, the sound wavers in the add to selection and scaled version, how do I get normal audio? PLease explain this to me.

STEP 11: 11. Open all digital negative movs and export to codec of choice in 23.98 (DV, 720 X 480, 23.98) to a folder called 'realtime_clips'

How do I export these clips? Individually? Do I repeat steps 1-10 again anda again and again? Please tell me what to do! What codec is recommended?

Originally Posted by Frederic Haubrich
Here's a customized, temporary, workflow for our users who want to cut ProHD24p in FCP 5.0.

Most of these steps will be automated in future releases of Lumiere HD:

1. Capture with LHD
2. Demux audio and video in separate folders. (end up with 23.98 m2v and 48KHz aiff)
3. Open m2v in QT Pro
4. Open aiff in QT Pro
5. Select all aiff
6. Copy
7. Place play head at the beginning of m2v
8. Select all m2v
10. File/Save as (Save as reference movie -- same name.mov) in a folder called 'digital_negative'
11. Open all digital negative movs and export to codec of choice in 23.98 (DV, 720 X 480, 23.98) to a folder called 'realtime_clips'
12. Open FCP, set easy setup to realtime_clips specs (DV, NTSC, 23.98)
13. Import all realtime_clips
14. input a reel for each clip in the browser
15. Edit with realtime

GOING ONLINE

1. Select the sequence/ Choose Media Manager
2. Media Manager settings:
Media: Create Offline
Set Sequence to Custom:
1280 X 720
PAS: Square
Anamorphic 'not checked'
Editing Timebase: 23.98
Timecode rate: Same...
Compressor: HDV 720p30
Audio: 48 KHz, 16 bit, default
3. Save project name: Online720p24
4. Go to 'Online720p24' tab in browser/double click on sequence (clips should be offline)
5. Select all clips in browser (above sequence), choose 'Reconnect Media'
6. Point to the 'digital_negative' clips (ignore Mismatch warning) and all your clips should reconnect

You now have a full HDV24 version of a timeline you edited in DV

We are doing our best to keep up with the latest formats and offer our customers working solutions, now. Expect frequent releases from Lumiere HD...

Thank you,

Frederic
Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:41 AM   #103
HDV Cinema

Hours ago, reading your question from India, I provided specific advice to you.

My post is missing -- so I have to wonder if it was deleted because it began with the advice to not use Lumiere. So what if there is a lumiere group on this site?

Brian needed help and he was not and still is not getting results with lumiere.

----------

Brian, lumiere is clearly not working for you. The fact that you felt you needed ask help here indicates a lack of support for a product you paid for. When I read "customized, temporary, workflow" instructions about a product, it's not one I would put my job on the line for.

There are much better, simpler, working solutions you could be using right now. They are well documented.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:58 AM   #104
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
My post is missing -- so I have to wonder if it was deleted because it began with the advice to not use Lumiere.
Isn't this it?

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...601#post404601

By the way, this isn't an HD100 question -- it's a Lumiere question. So I think I will move this thread to our Lumiere forum.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:04 AM   #105
Trustee

@Chris - you beat me to it. I just read S. Mullens post on the other thread.

@Bruce, it would help if you could keep it under one post heading. I'm getting confused. Tim listed steps for Lumiere that may help or you can check out any of the other suggestions. This IS the place to be to get help with the HD-100 and workflow.

BTW: do you go by the alias "maestro" on DVXuser?
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite