booming without a boom op at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 27th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #1
Major Player

booming without a boom op

Sorry if this subject is an old one, but just wanted some advice on using a boom pole/shotgun mic with a c-stand? Of course, my subject will be stationary, and outdoors.

If there's a previous thread to this, please let me know.

Appreciate any and all help, thanks!

--JA
Jeff Anselmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Make sure the boom is set to 'tighten' by gravity, put sandbags on the legs, get the boom as close as possible to your subject in the shot. (Don't overlook booming from below if the location and shot calls for it.)

That's pretty much it. Depending on how long the boom is, you might want to sandbag the opposite end of the boom pole for balance.

And yeah, if you can run a lav in the other channel, do it.

I've done this on numerous 'one man band' interviews.

Good luck.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #3
Trustee

from above, make sure the path of the mike is past the mouth and into the chest...this will help round out the sound and the body will dampen the environmental sounds as well as provide the chest cavity rumble that we all equate with "Big" sound.

from below, past mouth and into the head...sky will provide the lack of noise for you that the body/ground would booming from above.

make sure the third foot of the stand is pointing the direction of the boom and sandbag.

http://www.tyford.com has a clip in his archives about using a fishing pole holder in a grip stand to hold a boom pole :)
Old January 28th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #4
New Boot

If your using a hyper-caroid mic, also look at what the mic is pointing at. If its pointing up, make usre there isn't a ceiling fan running where its looking. Or, a Fridge sitting a couple feet away right in the line of fire, etc etc....
It's easy for the ear to miss this on set, but the mic won't.... Once you've set up put on headphones and listen to what the mic is recording before you add the actors in.

cheers
geo
Old January 29th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for everyone's input!

I'm not quite a "one-man band", more like husband and wife team. But since she's going to be conducting the interviews, it'd be real tricky boom op-ing, monitoring sound, and asking questions at the same time (I'm hauling around the XL2).

Sandbags will definitely be used! And yes, Ty Ford has excellent sound advice.

We're also considering buying a wireless lav system to accompany our AT897 shotgun. If we end up getting into a run and gun situation, I think the lav maybe the best way to go (instead of carrying a heavy c-stand :)

--JA
Old January 29th, 2007, 05:55 AM   #6
Trustee

Jeff,
Check out the "avenger" stand on wheels. Also get a grip head and something to mount the pole on the grip head. Lock down the wheels, and the grip head (once you've got everything situated), and you're in business.
A friend of mine (local sound guy) fabricated a wooden plate that slides down into the grip head. He bolted a fishing pole holder on the wooden piece, so the pole is supported, but can be angled up or down(by loosening thenretightenin the grip head). Works great.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for the advice Bruce!

BTW, I was going to email you about several audio set ups and such; I guess expect one soon :)

--JA
Old January 29th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole McDonald
from above, make sure the path of the mike is past the mouth and into the chest...this will help round out the sound and the body will dampen the environmental sounds as well as provide the chest cavity rumble that we all equate with "Big" sound.

from below, past mouth and into the head...sky will provide the lack of noise for you that the body/ground would booming from above.

make sure the third foot of the stand is pointing the direction of the boom and sandbag.

http://www.tyford.com has a clip in his archives about using a fishing pole holder in a grip stand to hold a boom pole :)

Thanks Cole.

Ty
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #9
Trustee

Hey Ty,
is yours also an "Eric Toline" special? maybe he should start manufacturing soon.
Bruce Yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 06:46 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I do have the Eric Toline #001. Available at better fishing supply stores. :)

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 02:47 AM   #11
Major Player

Stationary Boom Configuration

Hi Jeff,

I use a Octava MK012A mic - here's the configuration I use to go with it (from B&H Video - you may want a longer boom and the Windjammer & BBG isn't critical unless you might be outside with wind noise):

MAHWH2.5 Hollywood Grip Head - 2-1/2"
GBBPH Boom Pole Holder
K-Tek KE-79CC - Aluminum Avalon Series Boompole with Coiled Cable
RYBBGWJ Windjammer for Baby Ball Gag Windshield
RYBBG22 Baby Ball Gag Windshield

Good luck, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 04:27 AM   #12
Inner Circle

"I use a Octava MK012A mic - here's the configuration I use to go with it (from B&H Video - you may want a longer boom and the Windjammer & BBG isn't critical unless you might be outside with wind noise):"

Even inside you can't really swing a MC012 or MK012 on a boom without some sort of wind protection or you'll ruffle the diaphragm.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio