Okay . .call me stupid! Blue Sky Blues - NOT! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 7th, 2003, 01:55 PM   #1
Old Boot

Okay . .call me stupid! Blue Sky Blues - NOT!

Now, I've tried and tried and tried . . . but how on Earth do I get my XM2 give me a blue sky? If I concentrate the take on the sky - no problem. Blue sky, white fluffy clouds.Where should I be placing the subject, relative to the sky to get them against the old blue stuff? What's the trick then?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 02:15 PM   #2
High School Student

This is a common problem with DV cameras, bud. Most CCD's can't do the dynamic range of film, for example. 35mm film has a great dynamic range, where you could easally get everything exposed right, but not DV... Fuji has these "super ccds" or whatever, for digital cameras now, that are supposed to have 8x the dynamic range of normal ones....we'll see how that works, and hopefully they come to camcorders.

1. Try putting on the ND filter.

2. Look at getting a ND gradient (grad) filter.

3. Add more light to the subject...

4. Shoot at the right time so the sun is on the subject....

Hope this helps...
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 02:29 PM   #3
Old Boot

Alex - yeah, I guessed as much. So I'm not so stupid - eh?

Grazie
Old November 1st, 2006, 10:11 AM   #4
New Boot

I know this is an old thread but I have a thought about how to get better skys. I've used the graduated ND filters before to decrease the range of contrast in a scene and they work well. Another filter that can help is a polarizer. A lot of people already have one of those from filter kits they buy for their cameras.

I've really enjoyed reading these threads and learning more about taking videos. I've had a couple of different, lower level, cameras for about the last 15 or 16 years and just recently moved up to a GL2 (about 2 months ago). Thank y'all for the information and help that is provided here. It's truly a wonderful resource. I'm just glad I found it!
Tony Claxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 11:29 AM   #5
Old Boot

Woah! That took me back!

Well, things HAVE moved on for me! A Matte box and several Filters later . . . .

A Pola is great and splitting an horizon with various ND Grads is a perfect way to "pull" up detail from underexposed and push back that pushy/bossy sky.

Please enjoy the stills attached .. I'd like to thank all those over the years who have assisted me. . .

grazie
Attached Thumbnails
Okay . .call me stupid! Blue Sky Blues - NOT!-gbyellow0002.jpg   Okay . .call me stupid! Blue Sky Blues - NOT!-gbyellow0012.jpg  

Okay . .call me stupid! Blue Sky Blues - NOT!-gbyellow0021.jpg  
Old November 3rd, 2006, 09:34 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Grazie,
I posted a reply to this the other day, but i see it got lost in cyber space.

first the shots look great!! Imagine if you could do something like your bee footage with sky background like that!!

Questions:

1. did you do anything in post?

2. how much help was the matt box in acheiving the look?

3. have you tried a graduated color filter that enhances blues (upper half of the filter is colored bottom half is not)?
Old November 3rd, 2006, 09:35 AM   #7
Inner Circle

sky

Grazie,
I posted a reply to this the other day, but i see it got lost in cyber space.

first the shots look great!! Imagine if you could do something like your bee footage with sky background like that!!

Questions:

3. have you tried a graduated color filter that enhances blues (upper half of the filter is colored bottom half is not)?
Old November 3rd, 2006, 10:16 AM   #8
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen

Thanks DALE!!!! Thanks plenty! I truly am glad you appreciated them.

See, I DO listen to youse!! - LOL!

1. - Eh? I'll have to go and look? But I thought this was straight from tape. Maybe I did some work within Vegas. But yes, I try and get the "look" while at the DIAL - so to speak.

2. - TOTAL help! It would have been totally impossible without.

3. - Eh? I used a Grad "Tobacco filter" - you can guess which one - I think? But generally I don't use coloured filters, just NDs - solids or Grads. PLUS Pola, don't leave home without it.

I'm developing a style whereby I try and get "the look" if not IN-camera then allowing me enough "dynamic range" to apply stuff in post. Very exciting developments.

This camera just gets better and better!

Last edited by Graham Bernard; November 3rd, 2006 at 04:13 PM.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 04:14 PM   #9
Old Boot

Dale - apologies. Got me Dales and Dons disorganised! Sorry . ..
Old November 4th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Grazie,

It all kind of made sense to me, no apologies needed!!

I love my gl2, for some things I like it better than my xl2!!

the look is great, keep it up and I personally would like the low down on all that was done.

Dale

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders