AVCHD. Maybe this is obvious. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:09 AM   #1
Major Player

AVCHD. Maybe this is obvious.

Does Premiere pro CS3 have a preset for AVCHD?

I Just shot a muti cam shoot with some HDV cameras and a SR11 AVCHD camera. Need to mix the footage together.

So what is the secret to doing this? I knew to avoid AVCHD but had no choice. They guy showed up with it. Do i have to convert the AVC to something else?
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:14 AM   #2
Major Player

I may be incorrect here, but I don't think Premiere supports AVCHD.
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:49 PM   #3
Inner Circle

If you have Edius it may be worthwhile converting to HQ codec or Cineform intermediate for Vegas or CS3, but I have used http://elecard.com/products/products...verter-studio/
to convert to HDV then it was easy to mix with HDV tracks in any of the NLE's. Elecard was faster converting than any of the other options I tried. Maybe later in the year they will all be much faster!!!
Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:06 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

See the attached .PDF document provided by Panasonic:

"AVCHD Editing Solutions: Professional, Prosumer and Consumer
non-linear editing software is compatible with AVCHD"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AVCHD Editing Solutions.pdf (214.4 KB, 1390 views)

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 07:40 PM   #5
Major Player

From the PDF it seems to say that...
Premiere will not support it nativly so i have to convert the format...

So if i had Unlead Video Studio 11 Plus or Pinicle Studio Plus 11 i could import AVCHD files and then export it to HDV and then be able to edit in premiere again...
Old April 23rd, 2008, 07:57 AM   #6
Regular Crew

oops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
See the attached .PDF document provided by Panasonic:

"AVCHD Editing Solutions: Professional, Prosumer and Consumer
non-linear editing software is compatible with AVCHD"
..Vegas is an obvious omission here on that list.. one can only wonder why
Old April 23rd, 2008, 08:20 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

After all it is a Panasonic document.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 08:45 AM   #8
Regular Crew

still hope for adobe someday to handle it.

also from the avchd wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD

Software

The following video-editing software features support for the AVCHD format:

* Corel's Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus, Corel's Ulead DVD MovieFactory 6, Apple's Final Cut Express 4, Final Cut 6.0.1, CyberLink's PowerDirector 6, Sony Vegas 7.0e, Vegas Pro 8, and Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8, Pinnacle's Studio Plus 11, Avid Xpress Pro and Avid Media Composer, Canopus' EDIUS Pro 4.5.
* Nero 7 Ultra Edition Enhanced and Nero 8 Ultra Edition are a software suites which contains the AVCHD editor, found in Nero Vision. Also included in this suite is Nero Showtime, which plays AVCHD files natively. Edited video can also be burned to DVD discs in AVCHD format for playback on hardware players or in Blu-ray format.
* iMovie '08 allows you to convert AVCHD to the Apple Intermediate Codec format, but does not support AVCHD directly.
* Other developers have pledged their support but it may still take some time for the implementation.

The following software can convert the AVCHD format to other formats:

* Roxio's Toast Titanium 9 can import AVCHD clips and burn them into Blu-ray Discs or DVDs.
* Canopus's AVCHD Converter can convert AVCHD clips into a format which can be edited using Canopus' EDIUS 3/4.
* A related tool, Canopus' ProCoder, can perform conversions that produce files which are usable by other video editing applications that do not support AVCHD natively.
* Cineform also offers the Neo HDV product that allows AVCHD clips to be converted into I-frame wavelet .avi files designed for editing and post-production. These .avi files can be accepted by many popular consumer non-linear video editors, including those from Sony, Adobe and Corel, which has acquired Ulead.
* Another useful product is CoreAVC, a reasonably cheap and quick h.264 decoder for Windows, which can decode AVCHD as well as a variety of other h.264 formats.
* MainConcept sells a codec that is recommended for Adobe Premier users.
* Nero Vision can convert AVCHD files to other formats such as MPEG-2 or AVI and can import them for use in video editing projects. Nero Vision can also export Sony's M2TS format to MPEG-4 files that can be viewed by Quicktime 7.
* PowerDVD Ultra comes with an AVCHD codec that can be used with AVISynth and VirtualDubMod as described here.[5]
* There is a transcoder to convert AVCHD into P2, which is a format you can import into Avid Xpress or AVID Media Composer. The transcoder was created by Main Concept and is distributed free of charge by Panasonic. You can download the file from here.
* Latest version VAIO Editing Components that pre-loaded with Sony VAIO PCs can serve as a plug-in for Adobe Premiere Pro 2 to support AVC-HD import/export and editing.
* VoltaicHD is a simple yet useful tool to allow you to convert AVCHD files into other useful formats. The PC version allows output to WMV and AVI but is currently limited to the first 2Gb of any file produced by the camera. A Mac version is also available.
Brian W. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 08:22 PM   #9
Major Player

Awesome brain - thank you for the comprehensive list.
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #10
Major Player

.MTS vs. .M2Ts for AVCHD

My AVC footage that i got from this guy is in .MTS ? Is that right? / I downloaded the footage from his AVC camera over USB 2.0. The folder is full of all the shots with that .MTS extension on it.

It seems that Vaio Edit components only likes AVCHD files that are .M2Ts
I treid Ecard converter studio pro and it didnt understand the .MTS files iether. Whats going on?
What is the difference in .MTS and .M2Ts
Old May 11th, 2008, 04:56 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Tyson -
Have you checked for updates and patches to your program? Also if there was software with the camera, it may need to be installed, seems like there's a "layer" there that will assist your computer in recognizing the files properly...

IIRC you can also try renaming the file extensions and it may work. The only problem I know you may run into is clips in excess of around 15-17 minutes long, long clips are split at around that point (2G file size), and have to be "stitched" back together before being usable. I even had problems with Sony .MTS files until I installed their Picture Motion Browser software...

Hope those ideas help some...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion