Awful luck with FX1 :-( at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old June 15th, 2005, 09:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Awful luck with FX1 :-(

I'm not having such a great time with my FX1. Here's the story:

I received my first FX1 two weeks or so ago. I shot a short with it, and in doing so noticed a loud noise coming from the tape deck periodically. I called Sony, and they told me it was a defective camera. I called up B&H, who were willing to take an exchange. I sent in the old camera.

Today, the replacement came in, I put the battery on, plugged it in to the charger and... The thing won't even turn on! I tried AC power, I tried running it off a battery, and no luck. Can't even open the tape mechinism!

Anyway--just frusterated. I was supposed to start shooting my feature last weekend...the camera was in for exchange, so I moved the shoot to Friday. I'm going to have to move it AGAIN, thanks to another bad camera.

Don't get me wrong, when it WORKS the FX1 has a great camera, and I'm sure if I ever get one that works properly I'll be extremely happy, but for the time being... sigh.
Eric Wotila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 10:04 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Too bad Eric. My sympathy is with you!

I curious about the noise level from the tape deck on my FX1. I only hear it in a really quiet room, or if I put the FX1 up close to my ear. Is that what most people experience? Or should it be dead silent?
Bjorn Moren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 10:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn Moren
Too bad Eric. My sympathy is with you!

I curious about the noise level from the tape deck on my FX1. I only hear it in a really quiet room, or if I put the FX1 up close to my ear. Is that what most people experience? Or should it be dead silent?
That sounds right. When you can hear a high pitched noise from a room away---that's when it's time to get a new DOA camera. :-(

Anyway.... I can't afford these reliability problems. I'm returning my FX1 and sticking with my PDX10. I just can't work with these problems. :-(
Old June 15th, 2005, 10:58 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I wish you could give the FX1 another try, it's really a great piece of equipment. I never thought I would be able to make the shots I do, but on the other hand I've only been using $1500 cameras.

What I've heard the FX1 doesn't have more quality problems than other cameras.
Bjorn Moren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 11:01 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn Moren
I wish you could give the FX1 another try, it's really a great piece of equipment. I never thought I would be able to make the shots I do, but on the other hand I've only been using $1500 cameras.

What I've heard the FX1 doesn't have more quality problems than other cameras.
I understad that. I want to give the FX1 another try in the future, but right now I just can't afford the delays in production that it has caused. I plan to try it again after this current film I'm working on.
Old June 15th, 2005, 11:18 AM   #6
Wrangler

Well I think you know how we urge everyone to support the DVinfo sponsors, and I'm lucky in that I can be on their doorstep in less than 2 hours (not so lucky for my bank acct ;-) However, the FX-1 is a consumer camera which you can probably find locally. The other day I was surprised to look at the local "shopper" circular and see that the little camera shop a couple miles from my house had a big ad for the FX-1.

Now I'm thinking of this kind of local store, not a "big box" merchant. Rather than give up completely on the FX-1 you might see if there's a similar local company that sells it. You might pay a little more, but you'd be supporting a local business, and a $3,000+ purchase from such a place would probably get you lots of personal attention if you had a problem.

Of course B&H prides itself on customer service as well, but you have to deal with shipping costs, turnaround time, etc. which can be frustrating. I try to use local businesses whenever I can for these reasons, and also hope this might help save them from extinction at the hands of the big national chains.

Just a thought....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 11:40 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Well I think you know how we urge everyone to support the DVinfo sponsors, and I'm lucky in that I can be on their doorstep in less than 2 hours (not so lucky for my bank acct ;-) However, the FX-1 is a consumer camera which you can probably find locally. The other day I was surprised to look at the local "shopper" circular and see that the little camera shop a couple miles from my house had a big ad for the FX-1.

Now I'm thinking of this kind of local store, not a "big box" merchant. Rather than give up completely on the FX-1 you might see if there's a similar local company that sells it. You might pay a little more, but you'd be supporting a local business, and a $3,000+ purchase from such a place would probably get you lots of personal attention if you had a problem.

Of course B&H prides itself on customer service as well, but you have to deal with shipping costs, turnaround time, etc. which can be frustrating. I try to use local businesses whenever I can for these reasons, and also hope this might help save them from extinction at the hands of the big national chains.

Just a thought....
Not in Northern Michigan ;-). Up here in Cadillac, or "Cattle-Tracks" as we like to call it, you have to order just about everything online. Oh well, I like B&H, but I just can't take any more delays on this film. I'll probably get another FX1 or similar camera in the future, though!
Old June 17th, 2005, 12:40 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Read FX-1 stopped working

Hi Eric;
You might want to read through the posts entitled "FX-1 stopped working". Seems that this camera has some issues as far charging. My camera has been at the Sony shop for six weeks now via Mack extended warranty. I can't get any information back from Sony about the camera repair because I do not have a repair tracking number and Mack won't give me the time of day other than to say it is still at Sony. I say BS on that. It is a great camera but I would hesitate buying another one until Sony starightened this issue out. Our company is looking for new HDV equipment with the possible purchase of 12 cameras. Think I will check out the JVCs.

Gary Smith

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1