Has anyone ever ACTUALLY had a dropout? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old August 4th, 2005, 12:58 PM   #1
Major Player

Has anyone ever ACTUALLY had a dropout?

You hear about it as being HDV's #1 downfall but I've never heard anybody say they've had a dropout, yet.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 01:10 PM   #2
Major Player

Yes.

My first project with my FX1 I shot about 23 hours of footage over 2 months. I had two instances with dropouts, both as bad as they say (about 15 frames lost).

Both were during interviews and I had to edit around it.

It was a little hassle, but considering the amount of footage I shot I was surprised to only have two.

Since that project I've shot at least another 20 hours with the camera and have had no dropouts.

So, to me it's a very minimal issue that I don't even worry about.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 02:50 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I've had two glitches where the video dimmed visibly for no apparent reason, but other than that nothing yet like a 15-frame dropout. Two weeks ago my brother and I shot several hours of footage on two Sony HDV cameras using standard miniDV tapes, and so far we haven't seen anything that looked like a dropout. I'd call this a neglible issue for most purposes, and if you're really paranoid you'll soon be able to record HDV directly to a Firestore hard drive.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 03:14 PM   #4
Barry Wan Kenobi

Yes I've had 15-frame freezups. One in camera recording, and several more when outputting footage back to tape. It can happen at either time.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 07:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Finton
You hear about it as being HDV's #1 downfall but I've never heard anybody say they've had a dropout, yet.
Downfall??? Nah - methinks its the ones who don't standardise on tapes that get these problems.

To date, nearly 94 hrs with FX1 and 18 with Z1 and not one drop out. I also only use my tapes once. I NEVER use a tape twice unless I'm farting about and testing.

Just factor the cost of the tapes into your pricing

Cheers
Old August 5th, 2005, 08:27 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Rochefort
Downfall??? Nah - methinks its the ones who don't standardise on tapes that get these problems.

To date, nearly 94 hrs with FX1 and 18 with Z1 and not one drop out. I also only use my tapes once. I NEVER use a tape twice unless I'm farting about and testing.

Just factor the cost of the tapes into your pricing

Cheers
This could be. I use TDK tapes, 6 for $16 at Costco. I've used them in every camera I've had since starting my business.

For the price, I'll deal with 2 dropouts per 50+ hours of footage. ;)
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 09:28 AM   #7
Trustee

I used Sony Premium tapes only, never re-use them and I always make sure my camera is stored less than 50% humidity environment (but, more than 40%). Use a de-humidifier in your storage room!

Also, buy some of those "silica" packs for your camera case. I learned about humidity problems way back when I used to be in a rock band. Always watch the humidity with equipment, guitars etc....and your camera too!
Old August 5th, 2005, 12:58 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan McCullough
This could be. I use TDK tapes, 6 for $16 at Costco. I've used them in every camera I've had since starting my business.

For the price, I'll deal with 2 dropouts per 50+ hours of footage. ;)
Probably the reason why you have few dropouts - if any.

My choice though are the Sony premium tapes - call me brand loyal :)

Cheers
Old August 5th, 2005, 03:34 PM   #9
Major Player

Had a couple of dropout, recaptured the footage and it worked!

Finished cutting 3x 100 minute concert videos shot on 5x Z1s.

I had 2 dropouts in one of the shows (there were probably more but I didn't see them, they would have been on angles that weren't 'on' during the dropout)

I recaptured the affected parts of the tapes where these dropout occured, and it sorted the problem. Dropout appeared as picture and sound freeze, much longer than 15 frames though - nearer 30 frames.
Duncan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 04:18 PM   #10
Major Player

Only problems I've had where with the Cineform codec crapping out on some frames. Very annoying to go back and recapture a whole segment because of a couple frames here and there.

As far as the camera dropping out on me, only 6hrs shot so far and no drop outs.

EDIT: Adobe Premiere's Cineform codec, not the latest version from Cineform.

Last edited by Kyle Edwards; August 7th, 2005 at 04:07 PM.
Kyle Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 07:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Edwards
Only problems I've had where with the Cineform codec crapping out on some frames. Very annoying to go back and recapture a whole segment because of a couple frames here and there.

As far as the camera dropping out on me, only 6hrs shot so far and no drop outs.
Kyle, without taking the thread off-topic...have you downloaded the latest version of CineForm? I've not had any probs with v 1.7 or 1.8.

I've also shot over 100 hours of HDV at this point with multiple cameras, and the only drop out I've had was more or less intentional, mounting a Z1 to the front of a motorcycle that jumped a distance of 60 feet. I also had 2 dropouts on the A1u, but that could be from the fact that it's a prototype/preproduction model, or could be that I was using cheap walmart tape, as I didn't ahve any DM tape on the road w/me.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 04:06 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Kyle, without taking the thread off-topic...have you downloaded the latest version of CineForm? I've not had any probs with v 1.7 or 1.8.
I should have mentioned with Premiere's version of the codec. Cineform has cleared up the problem in their later version.
Kyle Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 11:00 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I have only used Sony Premium and their HDV tapes in my FX1 for the last year. I haven't had any dropouts yet.

Sean
Sean Hansen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition