Windows on Mac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 7th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #1
Major Player

Windows on Mac

Well, I installed Windows XP on my MacBook Pro. The installation was fairly straightforward. I will say that my Mac is now much faster at Windows than my Windows laptop.

Why do this? There are a few reasons. Until Universal binaries come out for some programs they will actually be slower on the MacBook Pro than on a Powerbook. There are also some utilities/filters etc. that were never ported to the Mac. So, now it is possible to have the best of both worlds on one machine.

As of now you have to boot into one OS or the other. There is a program coming out that will allow both to be open at the same time (although I would think there would a performance hit there).
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 12:37 PM   #2
Major Player

Hello Jeff,
Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Will you be able to access the same files in both environments? Like when you output something from a Mac program as input to a Windows program or vice versa?
How is this made? (I heard they live on separate partitions of the disk.)
Should be interesting to know if it is easy to work with both platforms.
Best regards / Johan
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #3
Major Player

It all depends on how big the files are (obviously a problem with video). If you format the Windows partition as FAT32 then either OS can access (read/write) on either partition. The catch is that FAT32 is limited to a 32 gb partition. If the partition is NTFS then the Mac OS can read the file on that partition but not write to it.

When the software is installed on the Mac it creates a partition to house Windows and all the Windows programs. You can select the size of the partition and the format type.
Old April 9th, 2006, 02:49 PM   #4
Major Player

Thank you Jeff,
This seems workable to me even with NTFS. Let Windows read from the Mac partition to pickup something. Copy it to Windows while working more on it. Then Mac could read the output from Windows if you need the Mac to continue the work. Don't think this should cause any great trouble.
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 03:58 PM   #5
Wrangler

Beating Windows machines at their own game...

See the following article in MacWorld which benchmarks the iMac and MacBook Pro against several Windows machines.

Quote:
As you can see, the Macs running Windows gave these PCs a run for their money, with the 2.16GHz MacBook Pro turning in the fastest scores on three of the five individual tests. The build-to-order MacBook configuration also tied the 2.16GHz HP Compaq in the sixth test, involving Roxio VideoWave.
http://www.macworld.com/2006/04/firs...arks/index.php
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 04:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

have you tried any HDv on it...does it work well. I know HDV is processor intensive.

Also does the screen look wide or traditional 2x3 windows look.

Does the bluetooth work with pc too?

ALso if you burn a dvd in pc does it write for pc or mac?

I really am thinking of replacing my two laptops with one if it seems stable.

thanks.
Jeff Morrissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Also if you have itunes in both do you think you can access the same library or do you think one library should work for both. if partitioned correctly.

I'm concerned that there is not enough hard drive space for both systems.
Old April 12th, 2006, 04:07 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Sorry for all the questions but I really want to get one and know what I'm getting.

Does an external mac screen work for windows or do you need a windows compatible monitor.

Thanks!!!!
Old April 13th, 2006, 07:11 AM   #9
Major Player

Much of this is guesswork based on what I've read and the little playing about I have done.

It is unclear whether you could use iTunes on both. Several of the iTunes websites have recommended just switching over to Windows for that. The reason is that there are apparently some much nicer utilities on the Windows side that aren't available on the Mac side. You could place your iTunes folder in the Windows partition (if FAT32) and point iTunes towards it and the Mac could read and write there as well. You could set up sharing. The catch will be the iPod.

I have no idea on HDV as I don't have it.

There should be no problem with a DVD depending on how you choose to format it/burn it.

People have figured out how to boot/put Win on an external drive so that takes care of the space issue.

An external monitor SHOULD work in that the ATI drivers are installed but I think I'd ask on one of the MacIntel groups about that. I'm sure someone has tried it.

The screen looks fine once you get all of the Apple drivers installed, funky until that happens. Bluetooth does work, airport may work better in Windows. The most difficult thing apparently is getting a right button mapped to the touchpad but there are utilities that will do that. Keep in mind that as time goes by it should just get better in terms of many of these issues. I'd be willing to bet that some of the outside Mac vendors will start selling systems with Win preinstalled at some time.
Old April 13th, 2006, 11:30 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Very helpful thanks!
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #11
New Boot

Is it possible to edit in FCP and then import the file into a PC version of After Effects?
Apparently, After Effects won't be available as a universal binary for quite some time so it would be a great workaround.
Max Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #12
Regular Crew

That's a good point. Will photoshop and the other program staples have universal upgrades in the next year?
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:16 AM   #13
Major Player

Adobe has claimed that the next updates in their series will be Universal binaries. Apple is pushing them not to wait (which would be next year).

Benchmarks on Photoshop CS show that running Photoshop in Win XP on the Mac is MUCH faster than on OS X. I see no reasons why this would not be the case for AE as well. As long as the file is stored in a place accessible to both systems (external?) then it should work. The catch may be the 2GB file limit size restriction in FAT32 (not present in NTFS but OSX can't write to NTFS, only to FAT32. A network drive (there are many available and they aren't that much more expensive) MIGHT be an option - I don't know I have never tried.
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:47 AM   #14
Wrangler

Apple has a tech support forum dedicated to Boot Camp, and it seems to have a lot of good info: http://discussions.apple.com/categor...categoryID=213
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 09:35 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Anyone know when the mactel g5's will be out?
Jeff Morrissette is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite