Windows on Mac - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 14th, 2006, 09:53 AM   #16
Tourist

I also installed Windows xp on my MacBookPro. So far no problems. I only gave xp the default 5 GB partition because there is only 1 Windows-only program that I want to run.

I would love to hear more info about the booting xp from an external drive. I could use that 5 GB of space back on the Mac side!!
Patrick Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Morrissette
Anyone know when the mactel g5's will be out?
I think you mean Intel PowerMacs?.... the G5 is the IBM/Motorola/Freescale chip which is being replaced. But the answer is that no, nobody knows. Apple is very tight lipped about future products and doesn't hesitate to prosecute anyone who leaks inside information. But they are on record as saying the transition will be completed this year I believe.

There are plenty of rumor sites that speculate about this sort of thing, but we generally avoid it here, with the except of our "area 51" forum: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=68
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #18
Major Player

My MBP 2.0 is running FCP 5.1 VERY well! I am more than happy with the performance. Capturing footage, building the timeline (scrubbing, trimming, placing, etc.) and previewing are all as snappy as my dual 2.5 G5 system. I've only rendered one piece so far, but compressor took a 4.5 minute HDV timeline to DVD in about 12 minutes. Not sure how that compares to the G5 yet, but it seems pretty good so far. Need to try out Motion...

I did the Boot camp thing and have XP running perfectly. Still missing a few drivers (iSight, Expresscard, IR port) but that will come. I can bluetooth sync my WM5 phone/PDA to Outlook over Bluetooth. Seems pretty solid so far!

My only gripe is the heat. Boy this thing runs pretty hot! I plan on taking it to an Apple store to get an opinion, but it seems like the fan doesn't run-at least as much- since the firmware upgrade for boot camp. Its mostly a problem when charging the battery while using it. Battery only operation isn't so bad.
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 01:30 AM   #19
Regular Crew

A bit off topic, but how fast would xp run on a g5 2ghz with some pc emulating software. Does anyone know is it usable or too slow?
Brendan Sundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 02:39 AM   #20
Trustee

Slow to the point of unusable for anything like video editing. I have a dual core G5 and have run XP with Virtual PC. While you can use it for basic stuff (Slowly) you really wouldn't even bother for anything serious. Of course, if they release Virtual PC for Intel, well you'd be home and hosed I'd say, it'd be pretty awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Sundry
A bit off topic, but how fast would xp run on a g5 2ghz with some pc emulating software. Does anyone know is it usable or too slow?
Old April 15th, 2006, 04:21 PM   #21
Warden

If I remember correctly VPC emulates a Pentium 3 processor, pretty slow by todays standards.

Quote:
Benchmarks on Photoshop CS show that running Photoshop in Win XP on the Mac is MUCH faster than on OS X. I see no reasons why this would not be the case for AE as well.
Did you mean CS2? Current test involving PS running on a MacIntel machine mean that the processor is emulated my Rosetta and of course will be slower on the MacIntel. A fair comparison can only be made after the Adobe products are released in Universal Binary and do not run in emulation.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #22
Major Player

Yes, CS2. The point I was making was that until the Universal binary is released (late 2006 or 2007) then if speed is an issue it may make sense to run PS on the MacIntel in Windows mode. I suspect that once it is no longer running in Rosetta is will be as fast or faster than in Windows. Until then it is nice to have a choice.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite