FS-4 Pro HD--Any fix for HDV time code issue?? Matt? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old August 2nd, 2006, 02:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FS-4 Pro HD--Any fix for HDV time code issue?? Matt?

Hey guys...I have seen this issue posted before, but never saw a fix or workaround. I have a FS-4 Pro HD. How do I get Canopus to actually use the m2t files. It plays 3-5 secs and then locks up due to TC jumps. I have chosen to ignore TC in the menu options, to no avail.

Any help would be great. I like editing full res, but hate the capture time I thought I was avoiding with a DTE device.
http://watersedgefrisco.com
http://vystrcil.com
Scott Vystrcil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 10:50 AM   #2
Focus Enhancements

Hi Scott,

What camera are you using?

Thanks,

Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 01:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hvr-z1u

HVR-Z1U. Is there something that I am doing wrong with this camera?
Old August 3rd, 2006, 02:50 PM   #4
Major Player

I've had nothing but problems with the FS4 with HDV upgrade, using the Z1 or Canon H1 - even the HD100, in conjuction with Edius. Edius works with almost anything - and trys to work with what are corrupt files from the FS4HDV. I tried them in Vegas as well - bombed.

The FS4 is great for use in SD/DV modes (use it that way every week), but the HDV files written are problematic, can cause crashes, are corrupt, etc. I was one of the first to buy the upgrade...

I also like running things in local mode for some shoots, and the record button triggers problems on the FS4HDV, where it should be free-flowing. You can see the scrolling timecode on the LCD jump when you push the record button (ad hoc recording on tape, with a hopes of a master capture of everything on the firestore), and the files suffer (not/never the case in SD/DV).

This is coming from a guy about to chunk into an FS100 any hour now... Fingers crossed.

I'd love to find a final set of camera/firestore settings to use, and/or necessary firmware, etc, specifically for the Z1/H1. The FS4 is awesome in SD - want my money back for the HDV...
Shawn Alyasiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 04:02 PM   #5
Focus Enhancements

Hi,

There is some known issues with TC and Canopus. The biggest problem we have had with our HDV support is that the individual camcorder manufacturers choose to put the recorded timecode into different areas within the MPEG transport stream. The NLE manufacturers also look in different areas for the TC. The reason you do not see these issues when capturing from camcorder (off tape) to the NLE is that the TC is basically restriped on capture (the correct TC value coming from AV/C communication between the camcorder and NLE). We are looking at what we can change to fix this.

One other issue with using HDV camcorders is that when you are recording to tape and disk simultaneously and triggering from the camcorder, there is always a small glitch in the beginning of the recording on FireStore or whatever is connected to the 1394 output (up to 2 seconds). This is caused by the codec on the camera re-syncing itself. The only HDV camera that gets around this issue is the GY-HD100/101 rev (A). On this model, you can set the priority for the codec to the tape or the 1394 output (FireStore). So, in your example Shawn, this may be why you were seeing glitches in the FireStore recordings in that every time you triggered the tape recorder, you can have a glitch in the FireStore recording of up to 2 seconds…Canopus may be tripping up on this.

Hope this explains a few things. I'll keep you posted as to our progress.

Matt
Old August 4th, 2006, 07:38 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Matt - one more question - FS100 vs. Canopus

Matt,

Thanks very much - this is the most helpful answer I've received from your company - I had just given up on the HDV side after a while. Still extremely happy with the FS4 in regular DV mode. Please keep us up to date as things are resolved on the HDV side.

Can I assume that the FS100 is a completely different beast - ready for bulletproof work in Canopus Edius, or any other NLE supporting P2/MXF? I'm about to purchase one for use with the HVX200 & the SPX800 - and I want to use the files in Edius Broadcast (version 3.61 - and soon to be version 4). I'd hate to run into any similar problems/glitches, considering the additional investment, etc. I want to be able to trust it with DVCPRO50/HD content the same way that I do with SD DV content every week.

Thanks again for everything,
Shawn
Old August 4th, 2006, 10:08 AM   #7
Focus Enhancements

Hi Shawn,

The FS-100 has no known issues with Edius. FS-100 records DV/DVCPRO, DVCPRO 50 or DVCPRO HD MXF files in the P2 directory structure (including XML files and thumbnails). You import the clips to Edius like you would clips from a P2 card.

Hope that helps.

Matt
Old August 4th, 2006, 11:38 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Matt

Yes - most helpful indeed, and you'll have my continued business because of it. I have an FS100 on order.

Thanks again.
Old August 9th, 2006, 07:51 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McEwen
Hope this explains a few things. I'll keep you posted as to our progress. Matt
Matt...any ETA? Any ideas on when this might be fixed. I like shooting and editing in HDV, but I hate the capture time.
Old August 10th, 2006, 04:58 PM   #10
Focus Enhancements

I don't have an accurate estimate at this point, but I will notify this forum when it is available.

Thanks,

Matt
Old August 11th, 2006, 08:47 AM   #11
Regular Crew

So my only option right now is to record HDV to tape, and if I want to use the FS-4, I have to downconvert to SD. Is that correct?
Old September 11th, 2006, 07:42 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McEwen
I don't have an accurate estimate at this point, but I will notify this forum when it is available.

Thanks,

Matt
Matt - is there any new info available on the HDV resolution. I was one of those who bought the Canon H1 / Firestore FS4ProHD package and have as yet been unable to use it to do what it was sold to do. Additionally, the 6pin to 4 pin cable that came with the Firestore had a bad 4 pin male plug that broke a pin in the H1's 1394 jack and required Canon factory repair.

Sorry to say this, but the Firestore debacle has really left a bad taste in my mouth at this point. I hope they can sort things out soon as the idea of bypassing the capture function is fantastic - but it just does not work reliably or at all at this point in time.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #13
Focus Enhancements

No new update at this point. I will let you know when I have more information. Unfortunately, this is very complicated stuff. There is such a variation between all the cameras and the NLEs and it has been very difficult to be able to make something that works with all models. But believe me, we are working on it and I will let you know when I have more news.

Thanks,

Matt
Old September 18th, 2006, 11:40 AM   #14
Major Player

Thanks Matt for the reply (appears that you are one of the few sources at Focus Enhancement that is responsive and that is much appreciated).

There are a lot of us eagerly awaiting a fix.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Richard
There are a lot of us eagerly awaiting a fix.

Yes there are. :)
Scott Vystrcil is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore