FS-4 Pro HD--Any fix for HDV time code issue?? Matt? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old November 1st, 2006, 11:26 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Bettan
just a heads up. Focus now offers a High Capacity mount that can handle the bigger battery. Those with a mounting kit can just order the hi cap cradle from Focus
http://www.focusinfo.com/webstore/catalog.asp?type=29
Excellent - thanks for the tip! :-)

For those interested, the high capacity cradle only is part ASYF-1043-01 ($39), and the full mounting kit with that cradle is ASYF-1044-01 ($129).
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 01:00 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Matt on the FS-C, i could not find it listed in your online store...is it coming there soon?

And the battery that comes with it, how many minutes is it rated for? thanks.
Jerry

Last edited by Jerry Gordon; November 1st, 2006 at 02:25 PM.
Jerry Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 01:09 PM   #33
Focus Enhancements

FS-C is sold exclusively through Canon USA and their dealer network. It is not available directly through Focus. The FS-C ships standard with a battery good for 90 minutes of record time. A 180 minute version is available.
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 02:32 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Thanks Matt..

Guess I should have realized, C stood for canon. Since it appears to be specifically for Canon, can you tell me which of these models "FS-4, -4HD, -4Pro or -4Pro HD" it equates to? I am curious because before you told me about it i was looking at the 4 Pro HD, so just curious if the C version equates to one of those?

2 other questions and I think I won't bother you again...sorry for the many diff posts.

I would assume it uses a Laptop hdd? Is the software update installed on the hdd? I ask, because I am just curious, if it is possible to, when you fill up the hdd in there, to just switch it for another laptop hdd or is it sealed and so forth? I am just exploring my options of how I can use this.

The other question, will this work with a still Canon DSLR, if the cam has a firewire, in place of a microdrive or whatever? If not, would it still be possible to transfer pictures to it in the field from the camera/microdrive for temp storage?

Just curious..thanks a bunch for all your help.
jerry
Old November 1st, 2006, 04:29 PM   #35
Focus Enhancements

Hi Jerry,

FS-C is most similar to the FS-4Pro HD model in the FS line. The FS-C does come with a Canon XL mount kit however. There is a laptop drive inside of FS-C, but it was not designed to be removable, nor is it recommended. It will also void your warranty. Not all laptop drives are the same and a quick search online can show you the dangers of using just any drive inside of an FS. Bottom line...not recommended at all!

None of the FS models will work with a Digital SLR camera, however it is possible to mount the camera (or the memory card) to a computer and copy the clips over to FS. When an FS is mounted to a computer, it is essentially an external FireWire drive.

Matt
Old November 2nd, 2006, 02:29 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Fix for timecode with Z1U

Matt...any update on a possible update to fix the issue with the Z1U?
http://watersedgefrisco.com
http://vystrcil.com
Scott Vystrcil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 05:05 PM   #37
Focus Enhancements

If you are referring to TC issues with the Z1 and the m2t file format, no there is no update as of yet. The issue is with the m2t file format and not necessarily the Sony camera. TC works fine now for QuickTime HDV recordings with the Sony Z1 and the 2.0 software version for FS-4ProHD/-C/DR-HD100. If you were speaking of another issue, let me know.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:21 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Matt, I really hate to do this to you after saying I would not.

But right now it appears I may be staying with my VX2100(Sony).

Will your products work with it, it is SD only and not 16:9 or anything, but would any or all of your products work with it so I can get away from tape on it.

And if so will all of them or just certain ones? IF so which would you recommend?

If the FS-c would work I would think hard on going with it, as sometime in the future I would go with a Canon camcorder with HD and would assume that it would work with future Canons, correct? But want to see if all your models would work with this so i would have a choice in case of cost issues at this point. And if they will work with the VX would there be any TC issues or other issues that I need be concerned or know about? Is it possible to just turn the timecode in it off?

Also do you format this just as you do a regular drive and in FAt or NTSC or what? and if you have to format, do you have to reload the software updates you speak of?

Chris responded to my post and said that your products would work with SD in the A1 and no dropouts or anything.

Would the same be true if I used it just for the SD only VX2100?

Which model, if they work with this camcorder might come with a mounting bracket or would I need to buy a separate bracket?

And lastly,I would assume if they work, they would capture straight to .avi file? and thus be able to transfer that file to computer via firewire as discussed earlier? I guess just wondering if it works what file format would it save the SD capture to?

And as Chris said it is still better than minidv tape even on a vx2100?(we were discussing the A1, but believe it holds true here i hope).

Thanks again for your time and patience. I really love the idea of your product vs tape and if all will work well will be getting one soon.
jerry
Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:28 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Matt, I really hate to do this to you after saying I would not.

But right now it appears I may be staying with my VX2100(Sony).

Will your products work with it, as it is SD only and not 16:9 or anything, but would any or all of your products work with it so I can get away from tape on it. I read about the FS-4 working with it but will all other models?

And if so will all of them or just certain ones? IF so which would you recommend?

If the FS-c would work I would think hard on going with it, as sometime in the future I would go with a Canon camcorder with HD and would assume that it would work with future Canons, correct? But want to see if all your models would work with this so i would have a choice in case of cost issues at this point. And if they will work with the VX would there be any TC issues or other issues that I need be concerned or know about? Is it possible to just turn the timecode in it off?

Also do you format this just as you do a regular drive and in FAt or NTSC or what? and if you have to format, do you have to reload the software updates you speak of?

Chris responded to my post and said that your products would work with SD in the A1 and no dropouts or anything.

Would the same be true if I used it just for the SD only VX2100?

Which model, if they work with this camcorder might come with a mounting bracket or would I need to buy a separate bracket? How would I mount it to the corder if possible?

And lastly,I would assume if they work, they would capture straight to .avi file? and thus be able to transfer that file to computer via firewire as discussed earlier? I guess just wondering if it works what file format would it save the SD capture to?

And as Chris said it is still better than minidv tape even on a vx2100?(we were discussing the A1, but believe it holds true here i hope).

Thanks again for your time and patience. I really love the idea of your product vs tape and if all will work well will be getting one soon.
jerry
Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:31 PM   #40
Regular Crew

I am trying to think ahead...if I go to Hd later would rather get an HD compatible one now for then as well.

In that post I also read about just hitting one record button and both would start recording the FS unit and the camcorder. IF that is possible how do you get it to do that and do you hit record on the corder or the FS unit?
Old November 6th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #41
Focus Enhancements

Hi Jerry,

All of the current FS-portable products (FS-100, FS-C, DR-HD100, FS-4 all versions) will work with the VX2100. You will need to have a tape in the camcorder if you want to trigger record from the camera and use the cam as your TCG. You can record in AVI Type 2 file format or any of up to 10 other file formats including QuickTime (for FCP), Matrox, Canopus etc. From your description and your future plans, I would recommend the FS-C or the FS-4Pro HD models. The FS-C comes with a mount for Canon XL series camcorders, but for your VX, I would recommend either belt mount or purchasing the optional cam mount kit that mounts to the hot-shoe. Please also note that we have not as yet received the new Canon camera (A1 or G1) in our lab to test, nor can we guarantee FS-C/FS-4 will work with all new Canon cameras, but it appears to be OK based on some users reports. We will announce to this forum once we have completed full tests.

Thanks,
Matt
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #42
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McEwen
If you are referring to TC issues with the Z1 and the m2t file format, no there is no update as of yet. The issue is with the m2t file format and not necessarily the Sony camera. TC works fine now for QuickTime HDV recordings with the Sony Z1 and the 2.0 software version for FS-4ProHD/-C/DR-HD100. If you were speaking of another issue, let me know.
Do you know if I can use the QuickTime HDV with Canopus? Is it the same quality as the m2t format?
http://watersedgefrisco.com
http://vystrcil.com
Scott Vystrcil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 04:15 PM   #43
Major Player

Sony HC1 and the FS-4HD

I have two Sony HC1's and am thinking about getting an FS-4 to record HDV. Do any of the issues that I read about in this thread apply to this camera?

Note, for budget reasons I am looking at the FS-4HD not the pro version and I will probably have to buy only one now and get another one sometime later when my budget allows.

I am tired of the hours of capturing plus the extra unreliability of tape when it comes to HDV. I don't want to buy a FS-4HD to find out I can only use it with SD.

Thanks,
Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs
Old November 16th, 2006, 08:41 PM   #44
Focus Enhancements

What NLE are you using? Make sure the FS-4 based product you buy has the version 1.1 software installed on it.
Matt
Old November 16th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McEwen
What NLE are you using? Make sure the FS-4 based product you buy has the version 1.1 software installed on it.
Matt
I am using Vegas 7. I have been looking at buying from VideoGuys or B&H.

Thanks for the reply,

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore