Top accessories for HV20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 20th, 2007, 06:53 PM   #1
New Boot

Top accessories for HV20

I have my HV20 on the way (not from B&H) - and I was just wondering if I could get some advise on "must have" accessories? I am starting from scratch. Needless to say, I am a rookie, and this is not intended for "work" rather family:

Extra Battery - NB-2LH or BP-2L14 ?
Battery Charger - CB-2LW
Sony DVM-12CLE Mini DV Head Cleaning
Sony DVM-60PR's
Blackmagic Intensity HDMI Editing Card
I'd like to get a wide angle converter? WD43?

Anything else? A mic is STILL my biggest uncertain decision. I want a good mic, but not certain what is my best option. I hope to use it often at my family cottage (outdoors on a lake).

Thanks,

Rapo
Rapo Nazarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

If you want inexpensive that work decently...

..here are two Audio Technica mics I have used you might want to check out. They are consumer 3.5mm connectors, this is not pro gear you'd use on a feature or such. Monitor with closed headphones or isolation type in the ear buds ( Sony makes some more inexpensive ones that work in some ears ). These mics are decent for basic dialog and since they aren't balanced XLR type jacks/cords, listen for radio/light ballasts etc. type electrical interference while monitoring. They won't need a converter with the HV20 ( as many pro level mics will ) and they will usually give cleaner results versus inexpensive wireless mic systems costing more than these wired choices. These are not meant to be mounted on the camera, but the lav obviously clipped on your subject and the boundry mic on a table or flat surface for a single or group of subjects.

ATR35s Omni Condenser Omni Lav
ATR97 Omni Condenser Boundry Microphone ( a 2" diameter round disc that can set on a table )
Regards, Alan
Alan Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:50 AM   #3
New Boot

Any comments on the WD43, wondering if it is a worth while investment for the HV20.
Nick Laskowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:40 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I have several mike's, but I ordered the Canon DM-50 Directional Stereo mike to try it out. Since it mounts on the hotshoe it would sure be convenient if it works fairly well!

I also bought extra batteries and that is one accessory you should have. B&H is out of the Canon batteries but have another brand listed that is cheaper and slightly higher output. Unlike my XLH1, this camera is small and light and it will go everywhere with me.

Also trying the Raynox HD5050 Pro .5 wide angle adapter.

Mike
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:53 AM   #5
Trustee

The Raynox HD5050 Pro .5 is listed as being a 37mm mount. However the specs says it includes several adapters, most being smaller. However it says it includes a 43mm mount adapter. So how does this work? If the actual unit is 37mm and you put an adapter to make it fit 43mm wouldn't you see vignetting? Am I missing something. Is the unit really a 43mm that comes with a 37mm mount or something?

Thanks.....
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:58 AM   #6
Inner Circle

There was an earlier thread in the HV10 forum about this lens and I did not notice any problems. It is 37mm with a 6 adapter rings including 43mm.

I'll let you know how it works, but in the mean time I'll look for the other thread.

Mike
Old March 21st, 2007, 07:23 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch View Post
There was an earlier thread in the HV10 forum about this lens and I did not notice any problems. It is 37mm with a 6 adapter rings including 43mm.

I'll let you know how it works, but in the mean time I'll look for the other thread.

Mike
Mike,
The concern is that the HV10 is a has a 37mm threadmount on the lens. That would make the Raynox a perfect fit on the HV10. However, the HV20 is a 43mm mount, right? So I would at least be a llittle concerned on how a 37mm adapter is going to go onto a 43mm mount without serious vignetting. Maybe I am misundertanding something here. I can honestly say I have only ever really had to deal with 72mm threaded adapters and filters up until now, so these smaller sizes are all new to me.

Peace!
Old March 21st, 2007, 07:42 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik View Post
Mike,
The concern is that the HV10 is a has a 37mm threadmount on the lens. That would make the Raynox a perfect fit on the HV10. However, the HV20 is a 43mm mount, right? So I would at least be a llittle concerned on how a 37mm adapter is going to go onto a 43mm mount without serious vignetting. Maybe I am misundertanding something here. I can honestly say I have only ever really had to deal with 72mm threaded adapters and filters up until now, so these smaller sizes are all new to me.

Peace!
I'm just trying it, if it don't work it goes.

:)
Old March 21st, 2007, 08:01 AM   #9
Trustee

Mike,

That works for me! Let me konw how it works. I just thought you had already worked this out and could edu-ma-cate me on how it all goes together.

Still....keep us posted.

Peace!
Old March 21st, 2007, 08:13 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik View Post
Mike,

That works for me! Let me konw how it works. I just thought you had already worked this out and could edu-ma-cate me on how it all goes together.

Still....keep us posted.

Peace!
Marty,

I'm try to get learned fast and told all. :)

P.S. B&H was out of WD43's.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Teutsch; March 21st, 2007 at 08:56 AM. Reason: added PS
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:21 AM   #11
Regular Crew

The Raynox HD5050 Pro limitations

I use the Raynox HD5050 Pro with my HV10, works OK, but only OK

It vignettes slightly on the HV10, even with the 37 to 37 mm adapter removed. On the HV10 the lens mount is fairly far from the lens, don't know what the HV20 is like.

Also note that the adapter lens is a bit soft, only slightly in the center and a fair about in the edges. Used with those limitations it works. I try an limit its use to high dynamic scenes when things are going to be blurred anyway. Most HDTV crop a little so the vignetting is normally not visible.

I would be interested in any feedback on the Canon wide adapter.

Rick
Rick Llewellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:17 PM   #12
Major Player

No, No, ...........and No

You can't put a device thats smaller than the existing lens diameter (except for tele-converters). The HV20 is 43mm so you can't use a step-down ring to 37mm because it will vinette badly (probably 1/2 the picture). You can go the other way and step-up to a larger lens adapter but your best bet is stick with the Canon or something from Century (when they get one out). All these cheap, er, inexpensive asian adapters/converters are not good with the kind of sharpness that a HV20 puts out. If you look at these on a camera with a GOOD production monitor and look towards the corners....well....I think you'll see what I mean.

Jim Martin
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:42 PM   #13
Trustee

Thanks Jim.....that is how I thought it worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Martin View Post
You can't put a device thats smaller than the existing lens diameter (except for tele-converters). The HV20 is 43mm so you can't use a step-down ring to 37mm because it will vinette badly (probably 1/2 the picture). You can go the other way and step-up to a larger lens adapter but your best bet is stick with the Canon or something from Century (when they get one out).
Jim Martin
Old March 25th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #14
Major Player

Is WD43 going to be sharp enough on HV20?

Jim, do you think Canon's WD43 will maintain the image quality of the HV20?

Regards,

Pat
Pat Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #15
New Boot

OK - After reading thread upon thread on mic's, I realize there is no one "do all" mic, but I think I have narrowed it down to one. I am looking for:

1. Something on camera - "run and gun"
2. A size that will not overwhelm the camera
3. Good indoors
4. Battery powered

I think the ME64/k6 combo fits the bill? It is small, battery powered and is good indoors? I have also considered the Rode videomic, but that seems too big and bulky. If it works out well then I am hoping to add either the Rode NTG-2 or AT897 for outdoors use.

Is this a bad choice?

Rapo
Rapo Nazarko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders