Top accessories for HV20 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 25th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #16
Regular Crew

If anyone is looking for a good and cheap replacement for the built in microphone, I can recommend the Audio Technica ATR25. It's a AA battery powered stereo condenser mic, which comes with all cables and camera mounts you need. I've had very good results with all cameras I own and it's definetely far better than the built in mic.

http://www.microphones.com/microphone.cfm?URLID=ATR25

It's obviously not a shotgun mic and therefore doesn't have a very long pickup range. But I think that it's comparable with much higher priced Sony video microphones I dealt with.
Enea Lanzarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Martin View Post
You can't put a device thats smaller than the existing lens diameter (except for tele-converters). The HV20 is 43mm so you can't use a step-down ring to 37mm because it will vinette badly (probably 1/2 the picture).

Jim Martin
I will officially verify that the hv20/raynox5050 combo is a no go. Unusable
vignetting. I am sending the raynox back to BH for the canon wide angle.

Jim
James Bresnahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #18
Major Player

How are you guys planning on using these high end mics with your HV20? Does anyone have experience with any of the Beachtek adapters? Would it help to use one with mic pre-amps? Or would passive XLR inputs (w/phantom power) be good enough?
http://www.adorama.com/VDBDXA10.html...htek&item_no=8
http://www.adorama.com/VDBDXA2S.html...tek&item_no=10
http://www.adorama.com/VDBDXA6.html?...htek&item_no=5
Peter J Alessandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Any idea how the Raynox 6600 Pro will work with the HV20?
Duane Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #20
Contributor

hv20 audio

just a thought but would it work if you took the headphone out off of another camera or mixer, and plugged that into the mic jack on the hv20?

i'm looking at getting something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=294571&is=REG

and wonder if it would work using the 1/8 phones jack to the hv20, because something like this would also work nicely with my xl1s setup as well.

or should i look into something like the beachtek stuff:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=335809&is=REG

also does anyone know if the mic jack is line level or mic level?
Old March 26th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #21
Regular Crew

has anyone tried using the Canon .7 WA for 58mm filter size ??

It will not vignet -- but its a SD adapter
Barry Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Unless you're planning to do a 3-monitor editing setup, I'd skip the Blackmagic Intensity and spend more on the mic / sound chain. Or the tripod. Or lights. You can just capture HDV.

Bruce
Bruce Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #23
Major Player

Sony VCL-HG2037Y 2x teleconverter works great!

I have the VCL-HG2037Y 2x's TC for an HC1. I bought a 43 to 37 mm step-down ring and used it to mount the Sony TC to the HV20. I expected vignetting throughout most of the zoom range. In fact, it only vignettes through the widest half of the range. The image quality with this combo is very good with good sharpness corner to corner and only a fairly minor amount of purple fringing on the edges at full zoom. The Sony TC yields better image quality on the HV20 than it does on my HC1, presumably because of the superior image quality of the HV20.

The TC is almost as heavy as the camera, but the fit is good.

Pat
Pat Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 04:41 PM   #24
New Boot

Well my mic choice has grown a bit, but I am still undecided? For indoor use:

Rode NT3
AT897
Rode NTG2
ME64/KP combo

I'd like to have it by this weekend for a family gathering - 80 people at our local city rec center.

ps - I am leaning towards the NTG2 for outdoor use for sure?

Rapo
Rapo Nazarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Shotgun indoors

I would choose the ME66 over the ME64 for indoor use. Reflections off walls are a big problem inside and I think one of the major contributors non professional sound. If you can't put a mike on the subject, at least indoors, use a shotgun.

Rick
Rick Llewellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Have you even thought about the DM-50 from Canon? Hotshoe mount and three different settings, shotgun-stereo-and wide range stereo? You are about to put a mic on a $1,000 camera, why not consider the mic made for it. Easy to mount and use! Very nicely priced!

If I had good hearing I'd try to do a test for all, but alas I don't. I will use my DM-50 for my shoots.

Mike
Old March 27th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #27
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Llewellyn View Post
I would choose the ME66 over the ME64 for indoor use. Reflections off walls are a big problem inside and I think one of the major contributors non professional sound. If you can't put a mike on the subject, at least indoors, use a shotgun.

Rick
Rick - I thought it was just the opposit? A "shotgun" was not good for indoors, rather a cardioid (hyper/super) mic better suits indoors?

Rapo
Rapo Nazarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 04:31 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Mike Selection

Rapo-
In my experience, a shotgun mike is a good choice whenever you are at a distance from the subject, especially if you have other interferring sounds. Indoors this is ususally reflections and other people talking. Outdoors, you probably don't have the reflections, but you have all kinds of other sources- people, birds, traffic etc. The assumption here is that the main subject is at a point, not spread out like a band or a choir.

I like to separately record the background and mix it in post so I can control how it comes out. The background sound, in my case usuallly goes in either the front channels and or the rear surround channels, putting most of the main subject in the center channel. But even if you are just doing stereo, you need to control the level of the background.

Rick
Rick Llewellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch View Post
Have you even thought about the DM-50 from Canon? Hotshoe mount and three different settings, shotgun-stereo-and wide range stereo? You are about to put a mic on a $1,000 camera, why not consider the mic made for it. Easy to mount and use! Very nicely priced!
For family stuff, I'm going to try one of these: http://www.azdencorp.com/shop/custom...3&cat=2&page=1 Street price is around $70.

For my short film projects, I've already got an AT897, a SGM-1X as well as a wireless lav set up. But I'm trying to figure out which Beachtek adapter to use with the HV20 for good XLR inputs for these mics.
Peter J Alessandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J Alessandria View Post
For family stuff, I'm going to try one of these: http://www.azdencorp.com/shop/custom...3&cat=2&page=1 Street price is around $70.

For my short film projects, I've already got an AT897, a SGM-1X as well as a wireless lav set up. But I'm trying to figure out which Beachtek adapter to use with the HV20 for good XLR inputs for these mics.
Hi Peter,

No offence, but I'm currious as to why you would quote me and then ignore everything that I said?

The mic you are reffering to mounts on the hotshoe of the camera but does not take advantage of the hotshoe. It is simply shoe mounted. It is powered by a battery and must be plugged in the the camera mic input.

Just for your information.

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders