XL-H1 Featured in HDVideoPro Magazine at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old July 26th, 2007, 06:40 AM   #1
Major Player

XL-H1 Featured in HDVideoPro Magazine

Once and a while we like to "blow our own horn".

In the July/August Issue of HDVideoPro (a new magazine available at Barnes and Noble and other bookstores),
Take One Productions was featured in a 5 page article with photos !

It's about a recent job we did at Latrobe Specialty Steel. This steel mill was a perfect place to test the H1's capabilities.

Take One Productions has been shooting HD video for over 7 years now, but we like to keep on the technological "edge" so our clients can get the most out today's HD advantages. I was amazed to see such a comprehensive article and photos ! Frankly I was blown away !

This new magazine (this is the 2nd issue) is a nice magazine. Easy to read, good information and nice photography. Check it out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Take One Featured in HDVideo Pro.pdf (483.4 KB, 1194 views)
Kevin Martorana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 07:58 AM   #2
Major Player

Can anyone see the PDF I've attached to this post ?

I've attempted to post it again...and it say's the pdf file is already associated with the thread...

Chris ????? Any help ? PDF file is only 483k.
Old July 28th, 2007, 09:18 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Fixed -- should be visible now. Congrats on the piece,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

kevin,
How critical you think by having a big shoulder mounted 2/3" camera (e.g hpx500) vs a small 1/3" handheld camera (hvx 200) will make clients think you are more "pro" and thus getting more jobs ?

Isnt great demo reel not enough any more ?
Jason Strongfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

My 2cents Worth

I Have Been In The Tv Game For Close To 30 Years And In That Time Technology Has Changed A Great Deal - But With Clients I Explain The Changes In Technology Have Brought The Size Of Cameras Down - I Have Not Had Any Problems With The H1 And Clients (does Have Matte Box On It) But Smaller Cameras Are Still Seen As "consumer" Cameras - I Think That The H1 Is Probably As Small(in Size) That Is Acceptable At The Moment - But Most Off All, It Is The End Quality That Really Sells The Client - A Good Reel And A Good Understanding Of How A Video Is Produced Will "sell" The Client.....
Remember That The Camera Is Only A Small Part Of The "whole" Process.....
Greg Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 10:32 AM   #6
Major Player

Jason,

I think Greg hit the target. I've been in the biz that long too. The H1 is about as small as you can go without gettting "questions" from the client. (HVX200 users slightly fall into this also)

Quick story...I know an agency that hired a video company to do a shoot with talent on camera. Grip truck showed up...lots of people, dolly, HMI's...flags, teleprompter..etc. The video production company whipped out a small Sony DV camera. Consumer grade.

Now...we all may agree that the camera is going to make fine pictures...but there is an old saying... "perception is reality". Needless to say the client was quite concerned about a "home camcorder" being used for this shoot. If you were spending all that money on support hardware...wouldn't you be concerned ?

Now...if that's how the company was going to proceed with the production..then it's their fault for not telling the client ahead of time the level of video gear they're bringing to the job.

What I've been seeing in our area is how do I distinguish a production with say a CineAlta on the shoot or a H1 ? In the agency game...size still matters to a certain extent. I have a client who still shoots 35mm for spots. They only air on TV...and we can't get them to shoot them in HD 24 to save our butt ! Budget savings wont' even sway them. We're talking $20k of savings ! NOPE. That's how it's done for national tv...big cameras...lots of crew.

So...by adding some "size" to the H1...when we put it beside our SDX-900 or the CineAlta...it "gives the perception of " a professional camera. We all know the quality....but perception on the clients side is a difficult thing to break.

Heck...even our DVX100A has a matte box, rods, follow focus..etc to help give it the "perception" of a "larger" camera.

As technology continues to move on....this will continue to get smaller and smaller....and then...maybe...clients will relax a bit....but in my opinion...right now, I find that I must still show a "sizeable" camcorder.

You also hit upon the demo reel. I agree. A demo reel is certainly what a client will hire you on, plus your professionalism...etc. But I believe there is an EXPECTATION on their part, whether it's right or wrong, about how the location equipment will look.

Anyhow...didn't want to make this thread about "size" :) But we got lucky to get a nice bit of press in a national magazine about the H1 !
Old July 30th, 2007, 01:01 AM   #7
Trustee

Congrats Kevin!

Thanks for posting.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 08:13 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Ken...and Thanks Chris for fixing the problem with the PDF.

We got lucky with the "press" for sure.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:48 AM   #9
Major Player

I just read your article in the magazine ... very cool ...
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:34 PM   #10
Major Player

thanks Michael...appreciate the kind words.
Old August 7th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #11
New Boot

Great article..I just subscribed to this mag....Wow, size does matter.
Michael Grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #12
Major Player

Thanks Michael..

Yeah...the magazine has a nice mix of articles and "advertisements".
Old August 9th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #13
Major Player

Congratulation on both article and job.
I´m in the process of buyinga camera for a year long documentary and after reading your article I´m pretty sure I´m going for the Canon. I´ve been contemplating the the Sony 350, but not sure it was worth the extra money.

Thanks for the point on the capture problem.

Can you play back tapes on seperate decks if you don´t shoot in 24f, but interlaced?
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #14
Major Player

Thanks Joachim...

Although we have NOT done this...it's my understanding that the Sony HDV decks WILL play HDV shot with the Canon XLH1 in the 60i mode ONLY.

24f or 30f will not play (including the PAL equivelents).

I will also suggest this:

The H1 is a great camera. If you have the time to set shots, exposure, etc...it's my opinion that spending 25k (plus what ever you spend on the lens which can be easily 10k) on the Sony 350 XDCam HD is a waste of money.

Now. Workflow is an issue with the H1...but those who are editing in FCP...are doing well. I dont' know what they are doing for a master-out...but I'm assuming DVCPro HD probably...since a HDCAM deck is very expensive. For us using the AVID Adrenaline...it's a bit of a problem. We deal with it...but it's not the best way to go.

There is something to be said about a "larger" camera. We are looking the XDCam HD for next year. When you have a 'run and gun' shoot...the H1 can become difficult to work with. Small iris wheel is cumbersome. Camera doesn't balance well for long hand-held shots.

I have had the opportunity to try the new 6x lens and it's great...because you can iris the lens like a regular telephoto lens...without using the iris wheel. IMO...this is huge for doing documentary work. I recommend the 6x immediately...because the focal length on the 20x isn't wide enough. Spend the extra 3k on that lens and you'll be happy you did.

But working with a camera that inheriently has those things (standard lens, iris, zooming...etc.) in it...PLUS larger button and switches...does help in fast moving and fast paced action. I find myself sometimes having to stop to make sure my finger is on the right button or switch with the H1.

Now...if you have time...and a small crew...plus time to check settings...etc...then it's not quite the same issue. I just find that I don't "fly" as quickly with the H1 as I do with any other larger camcorder. And I say this across the board with any of the smaller camcorders. We have a DVX100A...great camera....but sometimes slows you down because of the way you have to iris...etc.

I will say this though...if I had to do "run and gun" assignment EVERY day...I'm not sure I'd pick the H1. It's just too difficult to handle on the shoulder. We use it on a daily basis...but in PRODUCTIONS where we're setting lighting...etc.

If you are picking a camera due to image quality...you can't go wrong with the H1. Even though you're still tape based...you'll get a great image...WITH the option to record to DVCPro HD at 100 mgbs. The Sony 350 DOES have HD-SDI output...but you've paid 20k more for that camera/lens than you will pay for the Canon.

Hope this helps...
Old August 10th, 2007, 09:59 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Joachim;
It's true that the H1 is very front heavy in the standard configuration. However if you add a large Anton/Bauer battery to the accessory mount the balance becomes very workable. I am currently shooting a sci-fi feature with my H1 and with the added weight in the back it is working really well. We are shooting the entire feature hand held and I'm not regretting using my H1. and the 24f is awesome. Barry

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders