XL-H1 Featured in HDVideoPro Magazine - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old August 10th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #16
Major Player

Thanks Kevin and Barry.
Kevin, I agree with you completly on the run and gun issues you brough up regarding the "prosumer" cameras. I never feel quite as confident as when using a full size camera. It´s just to fiddely.

However, this documentary is mostly tripod or dolly shots. the shots will be set up and lit and I don´t think it will be a "stressed" procdution.

Barry, thanks for the input on the balance

My main concerne now is the post.
It will be edited on Avid, that´s what the production house have. I won´t be a problem to lock up thee camera for capture, but I´m not happy about giving them trouble in the post proccess.
I would prefere to shoot progressive, but it´s not crucial.
Any thoughts?

EDIT: Am I correct when I think that they have stopped using that useless iris controller of the XL2, and gone back to a wheel?
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Hoge View Post
EDIT: Am I correct when I think that they have stopped using that useless iris controller of the XL2, and gone back to a wheel?
They have gone back to wheel indeed.....what were they thinking? However after you get used to the iris being back on the barrell of the lens, you will learn to hate the little wheel. It never bothered me before but now that I see how smooth I can work the iris on the 6x lens.....I hate the little wheel. But I have to deal with it.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #18
Major Player

Joachim,

When you do your post remember....there is no audio coming out of the HD-SDI. Canon did not do that. You must take the RCA's OUT...and convert them to XLR ( or whatever the post house wants)

We use a Convergence Connect box that connects to the H1 via firewire to our Avid Adrenaline.
It combines the HDSDI video and ch. 1 and 2 of audio. The firewire control signal gets converted to RS422 for Avid Control. If you want to capture that way...it work....ok. Not great...but ok. Otherwise...dub all your HDV footage to DVCPro 100 or HDCAM with matching code....then ingest will be a breeze.

Barry..you are right...we too have the Anton Bauer on the back..but with the way the Canon is "off set"...it does make for an unusual hand held experience.
Kevin Martorana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 04:50 AM   #19
Major Player

Thanks Kevin. I did not know that.
We will probably shoot tape only.
Guess the old DAT would be the easiest way to go if we decide to go HD-SDI out.
Old August 15th, 2007, 07:59 PM   #20
Major Player

Joachim,

Just a quick update...I just ingested over 4 hours of HDV from the H1...in 24f into our Avid Adrenaline.

We used the Generic deck settings and a 6 second preroll. It worked very well.

http://www.convergent-design.com/

the HD-Connect SI is the box. It's only $800.00 now. I'm not trying to sell anything...but without that box...I'd say we'd be pretty frustrated with the H1 when it comes to 24f in HD. It of course is doing the pulldown into the Avid.

We set a sequence of 1080 59.94 and the footage looks fabulous.
Old August 16th, 2007, 03:09 AM   #21
Major Player

Thanks Kevin.
I´m sorry for my ingnorance when it comes to post-production.
Did you shoot 24f, imported it with the box into a 1080 time line?
Coming from PAL land, is the 59.94 progressive or interlaced.

Thanks.

I found a dealer for the box in Norway, I look into it a bit more. Seems the way to go
Old August 16th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #22
Major Player

That's correct.....shoot 24f HD....then in the AVID Adrenaline HD....
You connect to the Convergent Design box....and it captures a 1080i INTERLACED footage. So you can see the 3 progressive frames and the 2 "junk" frames.
Old September 14th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #23
Major Player

Hi Kevin.
Just a little update. After trying to decide between a JVC 201 and the H1 for some weeks now, the pressure was on as we start shooting on Tuesday.
A friend of mine called to tell me he knew of a H1 exhibition model that was for sale at 20% discount.
That pretty much made the decision for me.
I´ll pick it up on Monday.
The only thing that annoys me with the H1 is the lens. I would have loved the fully manual JVC, hopfully Canon will release a manual HD lens soon.
Unfortunatly there will always be sacrifices in this price range

I´m thinking of getting a H20 to use as a deck sine I´m getting the camera so cheap
Old September 14th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #24
Major Player

PS What tripod do you use with the H1?
Old September 15th, 2007, 05:09 AM   #25
Major Player

Joachim,

Agreed...there are some "sacrafices" when working with a camera of this size and budget range. But I will say...when you realize those issues...the picture is the bottom line...and it produces fabulous images.

I use a Vinten 100 Head with a two stage tripod from Vinten.
The H1 is a heavy camera PLUS...if you begin adding accessories to it: ie: Rods, mattebox, Anton Bauer battery holder on back of camera, wireless mics...etc....the camera starts pushing 18 pounds.

So...you need a tripod head that can hand some weight. We also have a Vinten Pro 6 tripod...(we use it for our Panasonic DVX 100a camcorder. Even though it has mattebox, rods and wireless mic on it...the rig still comes in under 6 lbs...and that head can handle it easily. I tried the H1 on that head one time (without all accessories) and it couldn't handle the weight)

Hope this helps.
Old September 15th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #26
Major Player

Thanks Kevin.
Thanks for the informative answer. I didn´t realize it would be that heavy.
It makes sense to prepare for it adding pounds. I´ve been thinking of a Sachtler 12 or 15. Hopefully the 12 is enough.
Old September 16th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #27
Major Player

12 should do you just fine.....
Kevin Martorana is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders