New Pana NV-GS1000K at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old June 9th, 2003, 07:01 PM   #1
Outer Circle

New Pana NV-GS100K

Yup. Another 3 chip handheld:

http://panasonic.jp/dvc/DIGICAM/gs100k/index.html
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 12:42 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Today, Panasonic (Japan) have announced the NV-GS100K 3CCD camcorder for Japanese market.

NV-GS100K have "Hi-Quality Wide" mode and 30P mode with "Cine-like Gamma". NV-GS100K-S(Silver)/-K(Black)
Est.street price: 170,000yen
Available: July 10
CCD: 3x1/6" CCDs 0.64megapixel(Video)/0.7megapixel(Still)
Lens: 10x F1.6(f=2.85-28.5mm)
Shutter Speed: 1/2sec-1/2000sec
LCD: 0.2 megapixel 3.5"
Weight: 650g (w/o batt)

Other Functions:
MEGA OIS (Optical Image Stabilizer)
"Hi-Quality Wide" mode (28% higher vertical resolution than MX-5000)
"Pro-Cinema" mode (30P with Cine-like Gamma)
0-lux color night view (use LCD panel as a video light)
MPEG4 recording (SD Card), Web camera function Zebra pattern

Product Information (Japanese):

http://panasonic.jp/dvc/DIGICAM/gs100k/index.html

Press Release (Japanese):

http://matsushita.co.jp/corp/news/of...n030609-2.html
[list=1][*]It is low dispersed glass adoption Leica D scene - lens: past approximately it decreases the gap " chromatic aberration " of the focus which it is easy to occur in light after the lens inputting up to 1/3 with the adoption of the dispersed glass low. The color spread and the false color which are easy to occur at the time of especially zoom are prevented. In addition it administers multiple coat to 14 aspects of the lens and (this corporation until recently the model 8 aspect) it decreases the flare and the ghost which become cause of picture quality deterioration. Clearing image is actualized to the every nook and cranny which tightens the dark part. Especially it is effective under unfavorable conditions such as striation case of backlight tendency.

The LEICA / Leica is registered trade mark of the Leica micro system IR GmbH.

DICOMAR / D scene - it is registered trade mark of the Leica camera corporation.

The LEICA DICOMAR is produced by the measurement equipment and the quality guarantee system which the Leica camera corporation recognizes on the basis of the quality standard which the Leica camera corporation sets.
[*]Crystal engine: it is low, you hold down the noise of luminous intensity and being the dark place, you are bright and from can photograph clearly "new 3 dimensional noise reduction", precision well to process the CCD output of 4 double density pixel arrangements the image which is the resolution impression with high contrast and will be clear is actualized the " pixel interpolation processing technical AXIS ", such as detail black to be blacker hair is small and faithfully re-to display color, those whose are reproduced to real " digital signal processing ", in R /G/B each color independence to load these circuits, high picture quality is actualized.
[*]High picture quality wide mode & professional cinema mode: from when photographing being to read out from the CCD at the number of pixels which are adjusted to the wide television almost there is no picture quality deterioration. Vertical resolution than former wide mode approximately 28% rise. (This corporation until recently type NV-MX5000 ratio) In addition, with " professional cinema mode ", it seems like the movie film and photographing with the atmosphere which will be been moist can be tasted easily at buttons 1. 30 scenes / with progressive photographing of second the movement of the movie wind, movie unique harmony is expressed with cinema like, the material feeling which be too bright the darkness it does not pass can be enjoyed. In addition even at at the time of outside photographing where the ?o?X?G???n???T?[ operates automatically, has the wind cancelling just wind sound, it expresses the bass which is force.
[*]High-speed shutter * slow shutter: shutter speed at time of still picture photographing 1 / from 2 seconds 1 / in 2000 seconds setting possibility. When night scene and the like uses the slow shutter, be able to photograph brightly cleanly, in addition sport and the animal et cetera in the subject which moves quickly the movement of instant is considered as exactly with the high-speed shutter.
[*]Smooth color knight view: the number of former compared to photographing scenes substantially rise. The subject which has the movement even at the dark place can be photographed smoothly with the color. In addition it reverses the liquid crystal monitor even with the pitch-dark darkness and color photographing it is possible with 0 Lux color night views which you can use as the light/write panel.[/list=1]
Old June 11th, 2003, 01:31 PM   #3
Inner Circle

based on the specs, it has less pixels than the 500/0? Or did bablefish translate it wrong?
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2003, 01:55 PM   #4
Outer Circle

I think it has the same amount as the NTSC MX5000 and PV-DV953, but I only glanced at the b-fish converted specs. Vincent also put some specs on his site. You can get to his site from:

http://www.dvfreak.com/links.htm

(2nd and 3rd link at the top)
Old June 11th, 2003, 02:21 PM   #5
Outer Circle

I started a GS100 page here:

http://www.dvfreak.com/gs2.htm

(It still needs lots of work.)
Old June 15th, 2003, 05:29 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I heard that the new DV can produce still image of 3M pixel. Any sample photos available to show the photo quality?

Thanks!
Old June 15th, 2003, 06:34 PM   #7
Outer Circle

Not yet. The NV-GS1000K won't be hitting Japanese streets until July 10, 2003. I'm sure Alan will be checking this cam out then and give us his take.
Old June 29th, 2003, 09:48 PM   #8
Major Player

The GS100K is now available in Japan and I got to play with it for more 30 minutes yesterday. My initial impressions are as follows:

As the cam was not (yet) connected to a monitor (unfortunately), it was not possible to make a good comparison of video with 5000, other that what can be viewed through the 3.5" LCD. Interestingly, video as viewed on the LCD appear brighter and exhibit higher contrast compared to that of 5000. Most probably it's just the LCD's improved quality (thanks to Yowch's rantings - LOL), albeit these 2 cams have the same 3.5" 200K resolution panel. I am hoping though that the better looking image on the LCD is also the result of Pany's Crystal Engine in combination with its new 9 group 13 piece, 14-surface multi-coated low dispersion lens, that Pany claims to reduce chromatic aberration to 1/3, flaring and ghosting compared to their previous lens. As I've previously described, Japanese stores are very well lighted, thus it is virtually impossible to verify the improvement in low-light performance (from 15 to 12 lux on paper) which I believe is the gist of Crystal engine's 3D noise reduction feature. I tried to focus on fluorescent lights hoping to detect any improvements in lens flaring or ghosting and to examine the presence of artifacts and jagged edges. Edges are smooth, video is clean but I couldn't say for sure if the shot of the light has less flaring or ghosting - but then again I was just looking at a 3.5" panel. Nonetheless, GS100's video viewed on the LCD appeared to be better indeed and that's a good sign.

The 2 widescreen modes (Wide and Procinema) are now easily accessible using a button as opposed to 5000's menu/sub-menu operations. Gone is the Wide Mode within the camera sub-menu and in its place is Webcamera function. The most exciting difference I noticed is the widening of the view when using these 2 wide modes compared to that of 5000 (whose horizontal aspect does not really change when switching from normal to wide modes - 5000 owners please feel free to correct me if I am wrong). The extra wideness is not as dramatic as that achieved by TRV70 (and the hotly argued JVC3000 in the other forum - BTW, let me make mention that Pany is positively boasting that this cam has PROGRESSIVE function at 30fps, which makes me wonder more about the JVC case - LOL - but that's beside the point now) but nonetheless noticeable. I suppose that should be the case if GS100K's widescreen mode has indeed 28% higher resolution than 5000. At Procinema mode, recording mode is automatically switched and locked at Frame mode (30fps), just as I suspected, then the image appears to dim a little bit (gamma adjustment) and Bass Enhancer (another new feature) is set at 6db (the other 2 settings available are 0 and 3db). The blurrying effect is not at all apparent through the 3.5" LCD panel. As far as I see it, other than the "extra" wideness thus (hopefully) higher resolution, these 2 wide modes are still basically the same as that which can be achieved by multiple menu + manual operations using the 5000. BTW, manual shutter and iris opening adjustments are still available under these 2 wide modes.

Tape's top loading mechanism is a lot faster and quieter. Gone is the sudden and noisy thud of 5000 at the moment of tape compartment opening. The cam is at least 1 cm shorter, a little bit lower in height and 100 grams lighter. But similar to 5000, overall weight distribution is excellent giving the cam a very balanced feel. I have no issues with the body material but I guess some will have mixed feelings about it. Although not certain at all if some body parts are made of metal or not, the finish paint and surface make it look so (especially the part at the back side of the LCD panel). However, by simply tapping at the bodies of both the GS100 and 5000 using fingers, I could discern that GS100's body is made of some thinner (lighter material) - hopefully aluminum, but more likely plastic. In any case, I personally prefer the glossy and smoother finish of the GS100 body over the coarse texture of 5000. I also like in particular that Pany addressed the ugly body joint at the top portion of the 5000. For 5000 owners, notice the body joint that runs between the built-in mic and hot shoe and hopefully, yours is well aligned! Having sold a few units of 5000, that was one of my first checklist items in terms of cam's physical appearance, because despite the high level of quality control, there were some units with misaligned joints that were quite an eyesore, especially because they were easily on view. Regarding other body feature, Pany obviously listened to complaints of 5000 owners/testers on the bad placement of some connectors (especially that under the rubber grip). The connectors are now placed nearer the back side, hidden by 2 plastic covers, and none at all anywhere within the grip area.

As for other minor changes, compensation and fade buttons were relocated under the LCD panel together with most other buttons. OIS button is also gone and moved inside the menus. On the other hand, Skin Detail button is now available and gone from the Pro menus. In any case, users familiar with Pany's jogwheel and menu button operations should have no problem whatsoever operating this cam even without looking at instruction manuals. The manual features are the same (shutter speed, f-stop, gain, white balance, picture sharpness/color setting, sound setting, color bar, zebra pattern), and accessed/adjusted the same way. Manual focus ring is also available but instead of full metal material with coarse texture, that of GS100 has slits with rubber inserts for nothing more than better comfort I guess.

I took a very close look at the glass lens of both cams. Physically they are of the same diameter but that of GS100 appears to be dimmer in shade and there is a slight difference that I find hard to describe perfectly. It might be totally trivial of course, or probably gives some clue as to how GS100's new and supposedly better low dispersion glass look like. I don't know for sure. Pany claims of using a better performing lens hood for the GS100. The only thing obviously different is that the edges of the rectangular opening of the lens hood is made of some kind of semi-transparent plastic material while that of 5000 is full flat black plastic.

Unfortunately for owners of previous Pany models including the 5000, the decrease in height means your current batteries cannot be used for the GS100. So for those selling their old cams in order to get this one, there is no need to save those extra batts. Sell them all. Fortunately, the GS100 shares the same 43mm filter thread size so you can keep your filters and converter lenses.

Under card mode, the following shutter settings are available: 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/15, 1/30, 1/60, 1/100, 1/250, 1/500, 1/750, 1/1000, 1/1500 and 1/2000. I've used 1/30 with the 5000 quite often, and I think I can find good use for the lower shutter settings available for the GS100 although a tripod is a must for anything slower than 1/15.

I tried the nameraka (smooth) color night view and 0 lux color night view which are easily activated by pressing another button. Nameraka has twice the frame of 5000fs (practically useless) color night view, thus motion should be relatively smoother. However, the store was too bright to appreciate the effect. As previously posted, at 0 lux color night view setting, the cam prompts you to turn the LCD facing the subject. Once flipped, LCD turns all white and serves as light source. On paper, Pany states that effective distance for this mode is approx. 1 meter.

Bic camera sells the GS100 for JPY158,000 but you can find discount shops that sell for around JPY136,000. Just for comparison, the same discount shops now sell the 5000 for around JPY109,000. If anybody needs my help in getting these cams (and willing to go through the headache of learning some Japanese), I'm just an e-mail away. The fee is very minimal (5%) and you'll get my cheat sheets, whatever freebies I can get from Pany Japan (english start-up guide, catalogues, etc.), and of course my free personal technical assistance and language translation (LOL).

Finally IMO, pending any side-by-side comparison, current owners of 5000 need not upgrade yet, unless they are willing to pay any extra money to have a better looking widescreen mode, a smaller, lighter (same weight as that of my Optura100) and cooler looking camera with more convenient features and supposedly better low-light performance. Under good light and normal mode, I don't expect (yet) to see any dramatic improvements over the 5000, but I hope I'm wrong. For those looking for a new cam, I cannot find a better camera for its price, but the 5000 at around $200 less is certainly becoming a steal.

BTW, the GS100 is not HD.

Cheers
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2003, 10:05 PM   #9
Wrangler

I'm thinking my DV953 needs a friend..

Thanks for the great post Allan. This is the first solid information I've seen on this mystery cam.

HD - now where would you have gotten that from? :)

Now only time will tell if we (NTSC N.A.) are once again overlooked like with the MX3000.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2003, 11:28 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks for Allan's detailed comment. I am interested about the quality of 3M pixel photos. If anyone has some samples, please let me know.
Old June 29th, 2003, 11:44 PM   #11
Wrangler

It would be interesting to see if the 3MP stills from the GS100K are better than the DV953/MX5000.

I enjoy the still feature on my DV953 but I usually leave it set to VGA resolution (640x480). The 3MP setting degrades the picture but thats ok since I only use them for email.

VGA Macro Stills from my DV953

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...Picture360.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...Picture364.jpg

Full 3MP still from my DV953 (Warning 1.3MB)
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/74415/BEE3MP.jpg

A little off topic but here are a few frame grabs from my DV953.

They were 16:9 Frame Mode MWB and varying shutter of either 1/250 or 1/500. No altering other than capturing and changing to JPEG format (orginally TIF).

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...elected=339297
Old July 2nd, 2003, 07:31 PM   #12
Major Player

Update from Tokyo.

On my way home last night, I dropped by another store to have a look at the video of GS100 on a monitor and compare with the 5000.

Bic Camera Store near Ginza is as well-lit as most big electronic shops. Unfortunately, their monitors are all 14 inches only. The reason why I specifically opted to go to that store is to try the "box" that will allow a simple but valid test of low-light performance.

Under the store's bright lights, I would be lying if I say that I could notice any difference in video quality, no matter how hard I tried to detect. Anyways, I think there's really not much monitor size and quality to show any marked difference between the two, although it is already quite apparent how the 1-CCDs pale in comparison, even with the 14 inchers..

The ingenious "box" I'm referring is long and rectangular in shape with a small round opening at one end, big enough to allow insertion of the cam lens (it's a well-made box and I think Victor Japan provided it to showcase their F1.2 lenses). The interior of the box is totally blackened and a colored picture is pasted inside (at the opposite end facing the opening). A small window/cover is manually adjustable at the top to allow some light to illuminate the picture, thus you can go gradually from pitch black to bright enough. My observations...

At low-light levels where the 5000 was already exhibiting a lot of noise/grains, the GS100 footage was STILL CRYSTAL CLEAR. Amazing! With the help of the seller, we repeated the test many times, each time adjusting the light window (to my liking) to effect varying levels of low-light (sorry no lux meter), switching from one monitor to another too just to verify that the monitors are OK, but nonetheless getting the same result all the time. Therefore, in my most honest assessment, I am convinced that the GS100 is indeed an improvement over the 5000 in terms of low-light performance.

Now if only I can find a store with widescreen monitors to try.

BTW, at present Tokyo discount prices and foreign exchange rates, I estimate this cam can be delivered to the US and Canada for around $1,250 (and it has only been a few days since they hit the stores)s I think that is just slightly higher than the current prices of DV953 in N.A. Should be an interesting point to ponder.

Regards
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2003, 07:59 PM   #13
Major Player

Looks like it is time to upgrade my MX350! I hung onto the MX350 over the MX500 simply for the noise at low lights!

As for the size, well, small is more handy, great for tours but not great to show off as a large poker cam!
SW: iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, various little utilities
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2003, 08:30 PM   #14
Wrangler

My thoughts exactly.

Time to plop the ol' DV953 on eBay. :)
Old July 3rd, 2003, 02:00 AM   #15
Outer Circle

Tommy, you've only just bought this cam a few months back. Really? :)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant