New Pana NV-GS1000K - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old July 5th, 2003, 02:19 AM   #46
Major Player

The Japanese have a characteristic way of playing with the English language in many aspects of life for better understanding of the common people. It’s quite interesting, sometimes hilarious, but actually very practical.

The term “definition” for instance, who the *ell would easily understand such word (in the technical sense) in a non-English speaking society?

Cheers
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2003, 03:36 AM   #47
Major Player

Alan, have you looked at the JV site? The terms high definition and high vision seem to be used interchangeably there. The specifications of the GR-HD1 are pretty clearly set out. I think this is the standard all of the major makers are supposed to have agreed to subscribe to, at least according to the press release referred to on the camcorderinfo.com site. I don't know if the specs are, indeed, HD specs, but if they are...I thought the Panasonic site was pretty cautious: they essentially said about the GS-100 that they were offering a product using high definition technology, but not claiming that it was, in fact, high definition. And, in fact, their specs for the camcorder's picture output don't match that of the GR-HD1. That said, may I add that I just did some filming at a 4th of July party. Other than the usual amateur faults, like letting the camcorder sway too much at points (viewer sea-sickness inducer, right?) and forgetting to pause the recording then letting the lens face the floor (great floors, by the way), I do think this camera is way beyond what I expected. "Night view" mode changes the way the world records in low light conditions. I was amazed. The camcorder definitely could use a better mike if one is serious about getting sound. But I haven't heard of any camcorder of which that isn't true. If this is Panasonic's jumping off point, the next "flagship" model should be a doozie. Hope everyone had a good 4th.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2003, 12:45 PM   #48
Major Player

Aha! The rumor site has just retracted re the 1/4" CCDs he was claiming to be on the so-called MX7000 he is touting, though not on the HD issue. I think he is, indeed, speaking of the GS100 and, as Tom pointed out, read the little HD Technology banner as meaning the camera is HD capable. In the meantime, though, the price on pricejapan.com keeps dropping. Down to $1219 last time I looked.

P.S. I apologize for misspelling Allan's name in the last post.
Old July 5th, 2003, 01:20 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Hi Patricia:

I read that you received the GS100 from Japan. I understand that your using a cheat sheet for the buttons and menus from a DV953. Is that a large factor in the cameras operation. Is there any english at all? I have no knowledge of Japanese but like the smaller form factor and the fact the they improved the low light issue. Did you discover any english language menu on the camera to change it's language? Does it even exist?

I'm very curious because like you I'm very concerened about the low light performance of the previous camera DV-953. I have not be able to find out any other information on the lesser GS-70 with regards to low light but feel it is similar because the reports are just as bad so there has to be some room for improvement.

Thanks .... Rick.
Rick Tugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2003, 01:33 PM   #50
Major Player

So does this camera handle highlight and shadow detail better then the MX5000 since it has Cine Gamma? Has anyone seen the difference?
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2003, 01:56 PM   #51
Wrangler

We are in dire need of some frame grabs!

Some nice juicy 16:9 30p low light frameage!
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2003, 11:02 PM   #52
Wrangler

A review of the GS100k (posted by xymerejx at DV forums)

http://ad.impress.co.jp/tie-up/panas...306/index2.htm

Its Japanese so some (myself included) will need to use AltaVista's Babel Fish translator page

http://world.altavista.com/
Old July 6th, 2003, 10:57 AM   #53
Inner Circle

hmm.. i personally dont see the relevance of going HD until teh market starts to accept it....

the cost is just too high at this time and i dont see any potintial changes for another 5 or so years...

not say that it woouldnt be a welcome feature, far from it, but right now, i dont see how it can be accepted when the general public arent educated enough....

here in Oz, its still pretty much in rumour mode... i havent seen many pushes toward HD... i cant say much for the other countries and i know were backwards down here.. but in all, i cant see how HD will produce any significant steps forward... not for another 3 to 5 years at least....

my 2cents...

Id like to see some grabs too... im REALLY intrigued about this cam now...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2003, 11:12 AM   #54
Inner Circle

one thing i forgot to mention...

i HATE the microphone placement!!!!
worse than the 500!!!ARGH!!!

whne are they gonna learn???
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2003, 07:48 PM   #55
Regular Crew

Hmm, I think the mic placement is better than having it below the lens where fingernails can make scratchy noises whilst it's cradled in your hand...
Just MHO....
Graham Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 05:38 AM   #56
Major Player

For Rick: The GS100 menus are all in Japanese. The DV953 works for me as kind of a cheat sheet because I am such a neophyte that I have no idea what digicams are capable of. Reading the cheat sheet helps me with basic info and terminology. I then try to slog my way through the Japanese manual because I can read a bit. It's tough slogging, though, when those pictographs stare at you and you only vaguely (very vaguely in most cases) recall their meaning.

I am sorry I can't help with samples of the camcorder's product. I'm still strictly in point and shoot mode. I also use a Mac, so I have just been through a struggle getting the first MPEG4 clip downloaded. (No Mac drivers for the supplied USB cable, and Panasonic is using Windows Media Player as its translator of choice.) I did manage to send the clip as an e-mail and am waiting to see if it actually survives the journey. MPEG being what it is, though, and many of the digicam functions not being available anyway (or being of much worth) when in that mode, what you really need is someone who has a lot more knowledge than I to get you some good samples, or grabs, as you call them. I will start the struggle with the bit of tape that I recorded soon, but it's so amateur night that it wouldn't do the camera justice. There is another person posting on the camcorderinfo boards who has also purchased the GS100. Perhaps once he figures out the menus, he will produce some worthy samples.

Re HD: in the U.S., the regulatory agency which has authority over TV has essentially said that all stations must be HD broadcast ready by 2006. Since the U.S. is a pretty large market for a lot of Japanese consumer electronics, I am assuming that this is somewhat driving the Japanese decision to produce HD capable camcorders that can still use the current minidv tapes. People still do show their "home movies" on their televisions - more so with all the great software out there to help one produce something less pathetic than in the past - and I assume they will be looking, in the end, for camcorders that will produce movies that look good, or at least don't look worse than before, on their HDTVs.
Old July 7th, 2003, 07:41 AM   #57
Regular Crew

Thanks Patricia .... I was very curiosus about the Japanese menus. From what I read the camera has a lot a manual features and "not" knowing what they are would most probably be a draw back in owning the Japanese version. If there was a menu to change the language that would be great, but that doesn't seem to exist on the GS100.

I will check into the other forum you mentioned, but have found this forum the be very informative.

I too use a Mac... they are the best and easiest for the digital world. I always say, there is nothing like a mac! There might not be as many available PC programs for them, but I can do everything I want to do and more on the Mac. It's a straight forward computer and very reliable.

Thanks for the reply. I'm on the table still as to keep my order in for the DV953 and order the GS100. The menu issue is the drawback with being able to use the manual functions as I mentioned. This is the only issue at hand right now. I truly believe Panasonic has fixed the low light issue and it's sort of a shame (while the 953's trickle inbecause of no stock) they can't make that same update to the newer models being produced now.

Best... Rick
Rick Tugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 05:51 PM   #58
Wrangler

A couple of hi-res pics of the GS100

http://www.dvuser.co.kr/zboard/data/panasonic/cut_1.jpg

http://www.dvuser.co.kr/zboard/data/panasonic/cut_2.jpg
Old July 7th, 2003, 06:36 PM   #59
Major Player

The thing that made me happiest about those photos is that they show the camera set in "point and shoot" mode (second button back of the lens, green lettering). There's hope yet.
Old July 9th, 2003, 01:08 PM   #60
Regular Crew

I've just post an order for this cam at priceJapan...
It is my first order posted there and I'm a bit anxious(although I heard only good things about them...).

What to say, I can't wait to get it... man...
I'll post some updates as soon as I have some, eventually some m2v files, because I haven't seen many on the net.

Has anyone got some english docs about this babe? Some menu cheatsheet of some sort? If so, would you like to send it to me as well?

ciao
marius
Marius Burz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant