Which Lowepro or Kata bag? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 1st, 2003, 08:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Which Lowepro or Kata bag?

Hi,

I've narrowed my search for a bag and these are the nominees :-):
1) The lowepro, compact AW-DV
http://www.lowepro.com/pages/series/proaw/compactawdv.htm
2) The Kata CCC-102
http://www.tiffen.com/kata_ccc102.htm

Who has one of these bags or/and has advice on what to buy.
The price is practically the same.

Which brand has the best reputation regarding weather elements, versatility,....?

Thanks,

Dirk

PS: Happy newyear guys!!!!!!!!
Dirk Goris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2003, 10:09 AM   #2
Major Player

I am a big fan of the Kata bag. It is durable and well worth the money. Not to say that the LowePro is a bad bag, but my money goes to Kata.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2003, 02:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

tamrac 979
Michael Buendia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2003, 08:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Kata bags

<<<-- After traveling to Alaska with the GL2 in a bag designed for 35mm, I just spent a couple of days trying out every camera bag I could get my hands on to see if I could get the "perfect" setup for the GL2. As it turned out a dealer here in Houston had one ccc101 (same as the 102) Kata bag http://www.tiffen.com/kata_ccc101.htm in stock and as soon as I tried it I fell in love with it. It's an extremly well designed bag. It's got a strap to secure the camera (none in Lowepro/Tamrac), it's (semi) hard sided, and it's small and that's why I got the GL2 in the first place.

Although it's small it has room for 4-6 tapes, the charger, the remote, a tripod plate, a pcmcia 1394 adapter, firewire, S Video, and RCA (cables), a couple of BP945's if you mount one on the camera, and a couple of filters. <<-- I've got the Kata rain cover now too and it even fits in there with all my other stuff. -->>It bulges a little but the camera is probably more protected in this bag than any of my 35mm stuff is in any of my Tamrac bags (my favorite for that stuff).

I recently traveled several hundred miles over extremly rough terain with it bungeed to the front rack of my ATV, where it got dusty, muddy, and some gulf coast surf spray, and not a single spec of dust, water or a scratch on the GL2! It's small and inexpensive ($90-$145) and is by far the best value of any bag I own. -->>>

I've had the bag for a few months now and I've logged over 6000 air miles with it and it has been banged, stuffed, shoved and cramed into overhead bins, under seats, in cars, planes, and trucks, and tied on ATV racks. I carry the GL2 and bag with me every day too. I wondered how good a bag like this would be after some real world use and I'm more impressed now than I was when I got it. The only possible downside; the strap that secures the camera to the bag latches right over the Canon logo on the LCD, and it has scuffed it up a little, after the abuse I've put the system through it's no wonder. I suppose I could put the camera in the other direction if I wanted to. One thing is for sure, it's tough.

If it ever blows up I'll get the Portabrace, because it's a little larger, and a tad tougher (2x the price too). It'll be a few years from now at the very least.

my 2 cents.
Old January 2nd, 2003, 03:14 AM   #5
New Boot

I also think I'll go for the Kata bag.

Would it be better to take the CCC-102 instead of CCC-101?
The XM2 seems to be slightly larger than the XM1 and most of the time I've got a BP-941 (large battery) mounted on my XM2.

Does someone use the CCC-102 with a GL2/XM2?
Or do you advice to use the CCC-101 bag, even when large batteries are attached to the cam?

Thanx!
Bart
Bart Saerens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2003, 03:30 AM   #6
Old Boot

I like the sound of the KATA. Anybody know of a supplier in the UK please?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2003, 03:42 AM   #7
Regular Crew

CCC 101 v CCC 102

I have looked at both bags and the 102 is ever so slightly longer, and a little goes a long way sometimes. Again this is what I pack in my bag; 4-6 tapes, the charger including the camera power cable, the remote, a tripod plate, a pcmcia 1394 adapter, firewire, S Video, and RCA cables, two BP945's (they are larger than the 941's) if you mount one on the camera, the Kata rain cover, and a couple of filters. It's not full either. I'll send you a picture of my rig if you like so you can see just how neat it all is. The only thing I really did to make mine totally loveable was to put a lowepro strap on it, it's way more comfortable than the stocker, and I just happened to have one extra lying around.

The only reason I'll ever need a bigger bag is for audio stuff; ma300, shotgun mic with a rycote, some handheld mics, and a small mixer, it which case I'll just get a seperate bag.

Mark
Old January 2nd, 2003, 03:54 AM   #8
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Grazie Bernard : I like the sound of the KATA. Anybody know of a supplier in the UK please?

Grazie -->>>

I have seen them on auction sites for $65
Mark
Old January 2nd, 2003, 05:14 AM   #9
Old Boot

Mark thank you for your suggestion >> "but if you get it I'll be gad to forward on to the UK." - But we haven't even been on our first Date! - Thanks Mark - But I'll see what I can do - Are all you Texans so damn nice! - How do I take up residency in Houston? I also think you meant "Glad" rather than "gad"!

Oh yes! I've done a little more research and the CCC 102, which is a wee bit larger might be a better option for the longer XM2=GL2 than the XM1=GL1 - yes?

In any event, I'm fedup carrying about my new XM2 in a plastic shopping bag, lined with a pillow - Know what I mean? ;-) . . . Joking aside, a good, anonymous looking "sports-kit" type bag will offer me the option of going out into the wide-world -yes?

Okay - I know I'm now getting greedy, but I've also got my MA300 and a long Senni mike - any thoughts on "stuffing this into the CCC102?

In any event - Mark - thanks for your response . . . and so fast too!

Grazie
Old January 2nd, 2003, 05:28 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Stuffing?

I could probably put the MA300 in my bag with minimal problems, but I have an Audio Technica AT835b shotgun and it's about 14" long, and even though it would fit, it probably wouldn't be a good idea. The Sennheiser is about 4-5" shorter so no problems there.

Let us know how you make out!
Mark
Old January 2nd, 2003, 05:39 AM   #11
Old Boot

Mark - You'd the MAN! - I'll let you know how I "make out" . . . welll . . . Oh yes where would I stick a tripod? Thanks for the Heads-Up on the Senni and the MA300 too.

Grazie
Old January 2nd, 2003, 06:03 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Tripod? What about lights?

You think of everything don't you! Actually I have a table top tripod that I leave on the GL2 sometimes, it folds flat and fits in the bag with all my other "junk".
Mark
Old January 2nd, 2003, 06:21 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Re: Tripod? What about lights?

<<<-- Actually I have a table top tripod that I leave on the GL2 sometimes, it folds flat and fits in the bag with all my other "junk".
Mark -->>>

Hi Mark,

Do you have the magical CCC-102 version or the standard version :-) I say this because I find it amazing what you can put in that bag. I'm very interested in some pictures if you don't mind.

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I will go for the Kata bag. One thing if find a petty is that there are no attachments for a tripod at the bottom of the kata bag.
Dirk Goris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2003, 06:39 AM   #14
Old Boot

FOUND ONE IN UK! Yeah

I'm off to the wholesaler RIGHT now - once I get me jeans on! It's about 45min train ride away. I'm taking my kit with me to try before I buy.

Thanks Mark et al . . .

Grazie
Old January 2nd, 2003, 07:40 AM   #15
Regular Crew

It's not a problem at all!

Here are the photos of the Kata CCC-101 bag with contents;
www.markaustin.com/images/Kata03.jpg

The bag contents include; GL2, MA300, XLR Cable, 5 tapes, the charger including the camera power cable, the remote, a tripod plate, a pcmcia 1394 adapter, (2) firewire, (2) S Video, and (1) RCA cables, two BP945's, the Kata rain cover, a couple of filters, and a Sony desktop tripod.

The bag packed; although I usually don't carry the MA300 in the bag
www.markaustin.com/images/Kata02.jpg
The mini tripod is also attatched under tha camera so it sits a little higher than when it's off.

And closed;
www.markaustin.com/images/Kata01.jpg

Now where can I put my lunch???
Mark

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders