Which Lowepro or Kata bag? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 3rd, 2003, 10:27 PM   #46
Major Player

Didn't notice anyone mention it, but I'm using a bag by Petrol (PCCB1) link at BH below. It holds my GL2, cables, spare batt, charger, headphones and more. It's a little taller than optimum for the GL2 but works well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh3.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___236223___PEPCCB___REG___CatID=2044___SID=F 35F3983150
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2003, 11:07 AM   #47
Major Player

I previously posted regarding the use of a Lowepro Nova 5, customized with inserts for a Lowepro Compact DV. This is a good solution for a GL2 "around town". I just purchased a Lowepro Nature Trekker AW backpack, with a Lowepro Day Pack attachment, for ski-trips, hiking, etc. It nicely holds roughly the same gear as the Nova 5, plus clothes, lunch, first aid kit, etc. in the Day Pack attachment. The Day Pack attachment does not interfere with opening the main pack. The interior space is similar to the intererior space of the Dry Zone, but with less exterior bulk, and less expensive. The AW cover should suffice in the event of brief rain showers.

Video & digital still gear in the main pack:

- Canon GL 2 with Century 0.65x zoom through wide angle adapter.
- Century FA-100 lens hood
- Sennheiser MKE 300 microsphone
- Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones
- Extra Canon batteries
- Spare battery for microphone
- Pen and small spiral notebook
- GL 2 manual with French section trimmed off
- Sony head cleaning tape
- Blank Sony Mini DV tapes, numbered and blacked with time code
- Cables and battery charger
- Canon G2 digital camera with adaptor for wide angle lens
- Canon wide angle lens for G2
- Canon EX 420 speedlite and off-camera cord for G2
- white cotton t-shirt
- LED flashlight
- compass
- Multi-function tool

There should be room whenever I swith to a Beachtek adaptor and Sennheiser 66 / K9 mike

This pack is also very good for airline carry on, though anything suspected of being a weapon would have to be packed elsewhere.

Lowepro Trekker series backpacks have quite a loyal following among outdoor (still) photographers.

Richard D. George
Denver / Lakewood
Beautiful Colorado
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2003, 10:40 AM   #48
Major Player

I'm using a Porta-Brace CS-DV3 case for my GL2. What sets it apart from the other cases mentioned here is its size, which is larger. See it at http://www.portabrace.com/asp/ProdDesc.asp?DescCode=CS.

I experimented with a few bags in stores before settling, sight unseen, on the PB. I like it because a) it's built like a tank, b) the camera goes in and out very quickly, and c) it has lots of room. When I'm mobile, I usually just take the bag and grab one of my tripods; the handles on the DV3 are tall enough and the bag itself is strong enough to allow me to plop the tripod on top between the handles and then carry the "kit" with one hand.

All my audio gear is in another bag, but there's plenty of room in the DV3 for me to toss in some other mics and my good headphones.

I also use the large eyecup on the GL2. The cam/cup combo fit in the case with no problem, although careful positioning of the carrier for the cam is required to minimize scrunching of the cup.

I thought the $170 price (B&H) was a bit high until I got the bag. Now I think it's reasonable.
Will Fastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 03:37 AM   #49
New Boot

kata bags in europe?

where is the best/chepest place to buy kata bags in europe - and other canon XM2 accessories?
Rasmus Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 04:48 AM   #50
Old Boot

Whereabouts are you?
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 05:03 AM   #51
New Boot

Denmark

Denmark - and I cant see anyone hear selling kata bags
Old January 22nd, 2004, 05:22 AM   #52
Old Boot

Sorry mate! London here . . several options . . . I got my KATA 102 and my PortABrace XM2 cover from T2 [ Top Teks ] in Uxbridge, just outside London.

I can give you their website . . something wrong with their site at present . . doesn't scan correctly . .here you go:

http://www.t2direct.sageweb.co.uk/aboutus2.htm

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 01:31 AM   #53
New Boot

kata bags in europe...

Thanks - I noticed that I could also buy the bag through amazon (my there are other european internet shops with kata?)
Old January 26th, 2004, 01:42 AM   #54
Old Boot

Excellent! Make sure you order and recieve the correct bag - yeah?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders