Which Lowepro or Kata bag? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 13th, 2003, 07:47 AM   #31
New Boot

I'll have my Lowepro Comapct AW DV at the end of this week.
I need room for my XM2, battery charger and cables, 4 BP941 batteries (1 of them attached to the cam), MiniDV tapes, headphone (haven't thought about that before) and an on camera light in the future.
Actually all the accessoires that came with my XM2 should also be hold in the bag.

We'll see if it works ;-)

Bart
Bart Saerens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2003, 02:14 PM   #32
New Boot

Got my Lowepro bag

Just to let you know that everything fits well in the Lowepro Compact AW DV bag!

The bag even includes a rain cover! Not for the camera but to pull over the bag in rainy conditions.

There's plenty of room for several BP-941/945 batteries, DV tapes, cables, ....

Regards!
Bart
Bart Saerens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2003, 05:17 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Bag to use with the large eyecup

Hi

After reading this threat I was wondering is someone give me some advice about buying a bag, witch fits the GL2 with the large eyecup on.

I saw many pictures with a GL2 in a bag, but none with the large eyecup. Just pressing the eyecup together to fit it in a bag is not the best idear I think.
So what's a good bag to use when using the large eyecup

Gabriel
Gabriel_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2003, 07:26 PM   #34
Regular Crew

tamrac 979. gl2 fits perfect even with the videosmith eyecup!
Michael Buendia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2003, 10:56 PM   #35
Major Player

About two weeks ago I ordered a KATA CCC-102 from B&H. When I got it in I opened up the box and immediatly knew it was going to be too big for my needs. The case is large. If your looking for a semi-large case that will fit your GL2 and a load of accessories, the CCC-102 is the case for you. I was looking for somthing slightly larger than my GL2. Big enough to store the GL2, some tapes, an extra battery and the AV cable. If your looking for a nice compact case to carry your GL2 in I would not reccomend the 102. I returned the 102 and have ordered a CCC-101 which is a couple inches smaller in the length, heigth and width. Just a warning if you are ordering the 102 looking for a ultra compact bag that is not what you will get. I would say the 101 is your ultra compact bag. There are also some Tamracs that fit the GL2 very nicely.

Gabriel: My guess is that any bag that fits the GL2 with the small eye cup will fit it with the large eye cup also. I know the CCC-102 will fit it because that bag has plenty of room. I will let you know if the CCC-101 fits the GL2 with large eye cup when it arrives from B&H.

Happy bag hunting!
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2003, 01:50 PM   #36
Major Player

I too considered the LowePro Compact AW DV or one of the Kata bags. I settled on a third choice that has worked out quite well:

LowePro Nova 5, with the inserts for a Compact AW DV inserts substituted for the Nova 5 inserts, and with the LowePro Deluxe shoulder strap substituted for the Nova 5 strap. The DV insert set has to be purchased directly from LowePro. This combination is far lighter and less bulky than the Compact AW DV, yet has essentially the same room, which I need for the following:

Canon GL 2 with Century 0.65X zoom-through lens attached
Century FA 100 (I think that is the number) lens shade (it is big!)
Sennheiser MKE 300 shotgun mike (detached)
Extra Canon battery packs & charger
Cables
Blank tapes, all pre-blacked with time code, and numbered
Folded white cotton T-shirt for white balance & misc.
Small spiral notebook & pen
LED flashlight
Cleaning items, including small air can
GL 2 manual, with French section trimmed off.
Remote control
Extra batteries for MKE 300
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones, folded (wonderful!)

There is also room for a Beachtek XLR adapter
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2003, 03:03 PM   #37
New Boot

Dryzone 200

For what it is worth, I just purchased a GREAT bag for my GL2 and (increasing growing) accessories. It is the Lowepro Dryzone 200. It is a fairly large backpack style carrier. The interior is customizable, so as far as the large eyecup is concerned, no problem with this one. Besides being completely waterproof (the guts of the bag is protected within a completely watertight rubber "pod"), it is large enough to carry:

GL2
4 large batteries/charger
10 tapes
On board light
Headphones
Hand held mic
Portabrace Polar Mitten
Cords
All in all, it is a great bag for people on the go, who might find themselves in some not so desirable shooting conditions.
Vito Zarrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2003, 03:19 PM   #38
Regular Crew

I just found a dealer in The Netherland who sells this nice Lowepro Dryzone 200.

The bag looks very nice
But this price is way to much
500 euro (500 dollar)

I was looking for something cheaper (if that's possible)

Gabriel
Old January 23rd, 2003, 03:27 PM   #39
New Boot

$500!?!?

Wow. That IS really expensive. I got mine from B&H Photo for $245 (which I thought was expensive, but worth it). I don't know what their international shipping rates are but here is the link to the bag if you want to check it out.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh6.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___251101___LOD200Y___REG___CatID=0___SID=F32 80B9A240

Good luck
Vito Zarrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2003, 03:48 PM   #40
Regular Crew

If I buy one at that site, the bag will cost (inc shipping) 300 dollar
That's a lot cheaper than 500.

One of the largest problems in The Netherlands is, that you can hardly find any of these populair bags in stores.
Lowepro, Kata, and simulair, they don't sell them in shops, only on order, so you never get the chance to look at a good bag, and look inside it.

All the el echeapo bags of an unknown brand are availble in stores, but some nice brands are hard to find.

Gabriel
Old January 23rd, 2003, 08:06 PM   #41
Regular Crew

As I posted before, I use the Kata CCC-3333.
When using only the GL2 without any accessory, it looks pretty funny :
http://natzo.com/GL2/GL2 in CCC3333 alone.JPG

Then when you pack everything, it’s much better :
http://natzo.com/GL2/GL2 in CCC3333.JPG

For the lower compartment, I’ve also added some extra foam to keep the structure rigid :
http://natzo.com/GL2/under compart.JPG
http://natzo.com/GL2/CCC3333- extra foam.JPG

On the upper compartment :
- In one piece : GL2/WD-58H/sun shade/BP945 battery/Large eye cup
- In one piece : ME66/K6 Power module/Rycote Softie/minimount/universal shoe holder using Toilet Brush Holder and foam case
- Headphone
- Various eye cups

I have added some foam have additional protection for the top of the cam. When the bag is closed, the foam around the minimount case is compressed so the GL2 cannot move.

On the lower compartment :
- Battery charger
- Cables
- ++ plenty of space for additional items

On the front pocket :
- Tapes
- cleaning stuff
- Batteries
- White balance card
- notebook and pen (pen also used to turn on/off the low-cut filter of the ME66)

On the cam, I also have a mini-jack (metal) to XLR cable and a mini-jack to mini-jack adapter for the headphone. They both stay all the time on the cam so it minimizes the number of insertions.
Dany Nativel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2003, 07:17 PM   #42
Machinist Mate

OK, I know LowePro and Kata are both good quality bags from reputable companies...I use Lowepro for some of my still cameras. BUT...after two years on the road with my Porta Brace for the XL1, I can tell you that I am getting another Porta Brace to shelter my newly acquired GL1 (yeah, I know, discontinued model, I bought the store display model for a discounted price and it'll be perfect for second camera).

The PB bag still looks new after shlepping thru a multitude of airports and field production assignments, and of course the camera has been very well protected by the bag from the abuse of travel.

So...you feel the pain of the higher price today but every day afterward you feel good about owning the best. Just my $.02 worth here...

(by the way, I don't work for Porta Brace or have any affiliation with them, but it's nice you can call them up and get a real live person on the phone that knows your camera and can suggest solutions and even tell you about dealers in your area**)

**oh yes, and no doubt Chris's dealers also can sell you the PB bags.
Old January 29th, 2003, 03:15 PM   #43
Regular Crew

kata cc 101 bag

Hi

I hope someone can help me.
I am looking for a nice bag, and I hope some people can send me some pictures, of the Gl2 with lenshood and large eyecup on in this kata cc 101 bag.

I only want to see this GL2/XM2 (not a fully loaded bag), so I can see how much space is left in the bag.

Some people say the cc 101 is to small, and I shoud buy a 102.
With some picturs, I can clearly see the differance.
Here in The Netherlands I can not find a store who has the Kata bags.

So I hope someon will help me

rsnel
Old February 2nd, 2003, 02:53 PM   #44
Regular Crew

anybody on this forum?
Old February 3rd, 2003, 04:04 AM   #45
Regular Crew

the question already has been asked and you can see pictures of the ccc-101 on page one of this thread.
Dirk Goris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders